<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login swfctyke)

Re: The most likeable cricketer

November 23 2017, 11:55 AM 

Imran Tahir is pretty hard to dislike,purely for his smiles on the boundary and daft celebrations.

David
(Login dikaiopolis)

November 23 2017, 12:25 PM 

Everyone loved Tino Best (as long as he wasn't bowling!)

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 23 2017, 1:39 PM 

Vic Marks always seemed a very decent sort when he played and definitely comes across well on TMS.

Derek Randall certainly warrants a mention in this thread.

Mark Nicholas? Graham Fowler?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 23 2017, 6:46 PM 

Fowler? Lovely bloke.

Oddly, I would have Nicholas on the 'other' list, which shows just how subjective these things are.

What about Chris Silverwood? Loved for his relaxed, friendly character down in Essex.
Paul Farbrace and Ashley Giles, amongst the coaches. Giles moved freely amongst Lanky members, made himself totally answerable, and gave straight answers.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Sachin

November 23 2017, 7:23 PM 

Very subjective.

Got in the way of the filming of his life story twice in one day at Headingley a few years ago. The director was not amused, Tendulkar just gave his wonderful smile first time it happened then an even bigger one when it happened again.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

November 23 2017, 8:45 PM 

Dave: My thinking behind the Nicholas nomination was his genuine love for Scarborough. Back in the 80s Hampshire were frequent visitors for the one day comp part of the festival with players wives and girlfriends often around in fancy dress, certainly one year the theme was Victorian bathing beauties. A man who loves Scarborough cant be a wrong'un!

Fowler: Quite a few years ago now but a friend attended the York and district league 'do' when he was the guest on honour. Cant speak highly enough about him.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 24 2017, 2:45 PM 

Agree re Foxy and that takes something to say seeing as he is a Lancastrian!

Having plucked Ray East from left field I overlooked another 70s spinner who I admired for the way he played the game and not caring who he upset along the way. PH Edmonds who I suspect might feature more on the other thread!

(Login dpressed)

November 24 2017, 8:41 PM 

Whilst I loved his book and follow him on Twitter I always thought that Fowler was a horrible county cricketer. The nadir was 'that B&H match' A group match at Headingley in the early 1980s.

The weather was glourious, the visitors were L*ncs, Yorkshire had qualified for the knock out stage and the visitors couldn't so there was nothing to play for, apart from entertaining the good crowd. Sadly those of us who attended didn't see any cricket. The reeason was 'a damp spot' just off the square. I clearly remember Flower & Allot walking round the ground & Foxy saying 'We might injure ourselves' when watchers moaned about the lack of non action. I'm 100% certain that if the match had 'mattered' (i.e. either team needed to win to progress) there would have been play.

We were made to wait for hours before the umpires abandoned the match. A few years later groundsman Keith Boyce admitted (at a cricket lovers meeting) that he knew that the 'damp patch' wouldn't dry out in time to get play before the start of the day but that he wasn't listened to

Anglian Exile
(Login AnglianExile)

November 24 2017, 9:34 PM 

Has anyone else considered Derek Underwood? Always appeared to conduct himself well on the field. I met him a few years ago and he seemed modest and likeable.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 24 2017, 9:39 PM 

Sid: I had a complete turnaround regarding Nicholas. Initially I liked him, for his enthusiasm and erudition, didn't bother me that he was a smooth southerner.

Then he started working for an Oz TV channel, whichever one it was, and he started crawling to his hosts, with G'day and other expressions, which irritated me because it came across as false.

What irritated me even more was his idea that our game would be better if the likes of Derbys, Leics and Northants disappeared or, at the very least, amalgamated; his assertion that they contributed nothing to English cricket.

This coming from a Hampshire man I thought outrageous! Apart from John Arlott, they had given England precisely nothing for the whole of my lifetime. Thankfully, even they have started to pull their weight a little bit, with Vince, Dawson and Crane - but even now they've more Kolpaks than Gale could shout at in an afternoon.

Nicholas also annoys me because he appears to use the same tailor as Dodgy Dave Cameron.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 26 2017, 8:58 PM 

I've always had a soft spot for Cameron Bancroft even more so if he came to the press meeting tomorrow to say what really happened.

You sense at the moment his team mates are telling him to shut up til they have got some mileage out of it and won a test

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk