<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The most likeable cricketer

November 21 2017 at 3:58 PM
Brian  (Login NewBrian)
from IP address 87.113.17.32

Just to redress the balance. I nominate Derek Randall and our own Joe Root.
I remember after he ended his England days Arkle fielding on the boundary at Headingley cheerfully slagging off David Gower'e propensity for getting caught behind.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Re: The most likeable cricketer

November 21 2017, 4:00 PM 

Adam Gilchrist for me. Played the game the right way and an awesome bloke off the field too.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

November 21 2017, 4:40 PM 

Ryan Sidebottom makes me smile every time with his wholehearted approach to the game.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 21 2017, 4:49 PM 

Rahul Dravid
Kumar Sangakkara
Jonny Bairstow
Jos Buttler
Stuart Broad.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

November 21 2017, 5:09 PM 

John Hampshire in all his cricketing guises, a gentleman, tough but fair player and a very decent man.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 21 2017, 7:00 PM 

David Bairstow
Ryan Sidebottom
Graham Stevenson

Randall, Collingwood and Ray East from other counties.

Marshall, Hadlee, Vettori from oferseas

(Login dpressed)

November 21 2017, 7:12 PM 

Arnie Sidebottom must be mentioned

And Mark Robinson showed his worth. When he came back to Scarborough in charge of Sussex he still found time to walk round and say hello & have a chat to a couple of ladies 'of a certain age' who'd been his fans at Yorkshire. It completely made their day.

I can also add a couple of bowlers with a 'repuation'

Steve Kirby might have been a maniac with the ball, but even as a fielder he was a great bloke. He charmed many on boundaries, & not just Yorkshire followers

And finally. Deon Kruis arrived at the club with a bad reputation. I clearly remember his debut. When Deon took his first wicket he was, as usual, clapped to his fielding position at fine leg .... the look of complete surprise on his face was brilliant. From then on he was charm personified on and more importantly off the field

(Login BrickyardBoy)

November 21 2017, 7:17 PM 

Darren Lehmann!

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy from IP address 86.158.151.75 on Nov 21, 2017 7:17 PM

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

November 22 2017, 8:49 AM 

Harold Bird happy.gif

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

November 22 2017, 9:05 AM 

Basil d'Oliveira. A great cricketer, a lovely bloke, and a man whose importance goes way beyond just the game. 'What do they know of cricket...'

This is going to be a great team to watch. Even better if you can get in the bar with them afterwards.

How many have managed to get into both sides? That's the forum for you. Personally I don't even want Bird umpiring. Rana for the bad guys, not sure about the good one. Can John Hampshire play and umpire?

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

November 22 2017, 9:09 AM 

Always liked Colin Milburn, being of a similar size to the big man happy.gif

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

November 22 2017, 10:00 AM 

I'm shocked (shocked, I tell you) that we're almost a page in and haven't mentioned Bres.

YJB (and father) I second.

I always had an inexplicable thing for Matt Wood.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 22 2017, 10:42 AM 

This sits much more comfortably than the alternative thread - most cricketers are essentially likeable. You get the chance to chat with players and coaches at 2nd XI matches, not often at 1st team.

I must second the praise for Deon Kruis. I stood next to him at the bookstall, and his politeness and obvious respect for Geoff and Viv was lovely to see.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

November 22 2017, 11:11 AM 

I rather like Ed Smith and think him a very interesting and thoughtful individual.

Stevo always made me smile. And I liked very much Bluey's fighting spirit.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 22 2017, 11:21 AM 

Malcolm Marshall was pro for Denton in my league - thankfully, after I had dropped down to 2nd XI - but those who played against him were full of praise for a lovely man, not a bully at all, and a fantastic ambassador for W Indies cricket.

David
(Login dikaiopolis)

November 22 2017, 12:04 PM 

A couple of memories from growing up watching Lancashire League cricket:

Joel Garner playing with the children on the outfield - they were clambering all over him, and he was holding his arms out straight so that they could swing on them (immensely strong too!)

Viv Richards - best batsman in the world, but he was just one of the lads, no front on him at all. Contrast to Azharuddin a year or 2 later who wouldn't live locally or get involved outside matches.

The best pros were always the ones who got involved in the local community, not just the cricket - although Shane Warne took that a bit far if some of the kiss-and-tell stories in the tabloids are to be believed!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 22 2017, 1:35 PM 

I'm pleased to see Dwight has got Stuart Broad (not an ironic selection, I hope) because so many others have slagged him off, along with grumpy Anderson and crazy Stokes.

Do we want our cricketers to be real people? Or cardboard cut-outs? I've met some southerners who would go red with fury at the mention of Brian Close, or that 'bolshie' Raymond Illingworth. Didn't know their place, you know.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

November 22 2017, 2:32 PM 

Quite right too Dave.

Stuart Broad is one of my favourite cricketers and an all time England great.

I find it amusing that Ryan is described as a whole hearted cricketer in this thread yet Broad, Anderson etc are described as petulant in another. I suspect the difference between whole hearted and petulant depends on which county the represent.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 22 2017, 3:53 PM 

It was a genuine selection, he's great.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

November 22 2017, 3:58 PM 

Interesting mention of Hadlee. It is hard not to respect him as a cricketer. A supreme professional. Almost a robot. Not sure I would call him likeable though - he certainly wasn't liked by some of his team mates!

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk