<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The Ashes

November 22 2017 at 9:56 AM
Steve C  (Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

I'm unbelievably excited.

I love the Ashes when its cold and dark and everyone is asleep..
You have to stay awake until lunchtime on the first day.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: The Ashes

November 22 2017, 11:14 AM 

I'll definitely stay up for the first session tonight. I have Friday off so tomorrow might be an all-nighter! The away Ashes series is special - I'd love to go but I agree that there's something magical about following it from the depths of the English winter.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 22 2017, 11:35 AM 

I've finally paid up for BT Sport on Sky, which has cost me a £20 connection fee, then free for 3 or 4 months (can't remember which) then £26.99 each for the rest of the 12 months. I'll get some of the value by now being able to watch Premiership rugby, Saracens v Exeter a mouth watering prospect.

Today, BT are showing Gatting's series, extended highlights. Benaud and Greig were so much better than I expect Vaughan and Ponting to be. Not many spectators at the WACA to watch Broad, Gower and Richards get centuries, and Athey to just miss one. Steve Waugh was number 7, but came in as night-watchman! Just a reminder that even the greatest have to go through a process before they're established.

I fly out to Adelaide next week, for just two Tests, back home to watch Boxing Day at the G.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

No highlights

November 22 2017, 7:11 PM 

I can't see the highlights being advertised anywhere else than on the BT sports website which is a bit of a shame.

Anybody know any different!

Don't like to see a Sky monopoly of course but spreading the same sport over two different pay platforms seems to make a bad situation for viewers worse.

(Login dpressed)

November 22 2017, 7:13 PM 

I won't be watching as sadly I don't have BT & Sky already costs me more than I can afford

Ball-Sup (Phil)
(Login ball_sup)

November 22 2017, 7:32 PM 

I'm lucky enough to be able to travel for the whole series. I've just woken up in Brisbane. Just need the whole thing to get started now. It was ever thus, but the First Day will set the tone for a lot of what follows.
Beer Tourism continues to crack on a pace in Brisbane. I visited a Brewery in Milton, Brisbane last night which is celebrating it's First Birthday. Very very very good Pilsner & excellent Pale Ale.

www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

November 22 2017, 8:00 PM 

Weather report, Phil?

John Fuller
(Login cricketyorkshire)

Ashes - Trophies, trash talk and technology

November 22 2017, 8:27 PM 

Staying up to catch the first few hours...it so often seems to set the tone of a series.
Have assembled an Ashes article for the Cricket Yorkshire website including technology/watching the cricket:
https://cricketyorkshire.com/ashes-2017/

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

November 22 2017, 8:46 PM 

Radio on already.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 24 2017, 6:42 PM 

I've succumbed.

With ashes cricket, world hockey league, champions league football all now on BT I bit the bullet and signed up today. Three free months and then £26 a month thereafter.

My next call was to Sky to review my deal with them.

"You're a very long standing customer sir which means you have VIP status and you can have Sky Q for free, and we can discount your sky sports package and upgrade your broadband and your bill will reduce by £22 a month for 18 months".

So two phone calls and I'm £12 a year better off with more sports to watch and faster broadband.

Result.

The call to Sky took over an hour. BT about 15 minutes....

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

November 24 2017, 8:19 PM 

I wondered why I was on the line to Sky for so long 3rdUmp!

Did exactly the same this afternoon, set up within 20 minutes and, apparently, I can access cricket from tonight.Sky spent half an hour chopping bits off the package, offering loyalty discounts etc etc and still came in more expensive that BT - but without BT Sports

Got 18 months 'free' BT sport, fast b/band/ line rental, HD, Sky Sports, 141 channels all for £38.00 per month less than my existing Sky package- and they will pay any bill from Sky for me walking away early

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

November 24 2017, 9:28 PM 

Was tempted, but am only listening to the first session, before I fall asleep. Wouldn't mind the champions league and England football age-group matches, seeing as they're much better than the senior lot. Quite a bit of dosh though.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 24 2017, 10:13 PM 

I find that if you threaten to leave Sky for another company, you will be offered a much cheaper monthly price. It worked last year for me, when I got £30 a month of my subscription for 12 months. They didn't buy it this year though!!

Give them a ring and you might get a deal like TU.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

November 25 2017, 1:09 PM 

Just been looking around re Sky/BT and realised Sky still have all summer cricket coverage so had a change of heart, negotiated a fantastic deal with Sky and then found this site

https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/bt-sport

and followed the link for those with Sky and just added BT Sport for 1/2 price for 12 months i.e £11.49 per month.

Activates within 2 hours for those wanting to watch Joe tonight.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 25 2017, 4:05 PM 

There are some great deals around from both Sky and BT. Everyone wants your business. I got a great one last year, but nothing from Sky so far this year, despit trying to get renewal of my deal. BT are offering me BT Sport free of charge for 18 months if I switch from Sky, trouble is though I would then lose Sky so lose the summer cricket.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

November 25 2017, 4:26 PM 

That's the problem Stu and you also you only gte the 1 Sky Sport channel with BT.

I had cancelled but called back, had a bit of a moan and ended up by dropping Sky HD, some of the channels we never watch and the 'anytime' phone calls ( which will mean I use a bit more of my mobile allowance which never reaches anywhere near the limit) Upgraded to fibre optic B/band and ended up with a bill some £38.00 ess than before. Adding that BT package means I am still some £26.00 to the good and the BT package was activated in less than 10 minutes from online sign up.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 27 2017, 5:51 PM 

For those who have Sky, check this out for those who just want to watch the Ashes --- A 1 month BT Sports contract. Just about long enough to cover the next 4 tests.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/bt-sport-on-sky-packages/

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Nov 27, 2017 5:52 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk