<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1st Ashes Test | Australia vs England at the Gabba, Brisbane

November 23 2017 at 1:48 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner
from IP address 24.138.79.74

Nov 23-27, 2017 - 1st Test at Brisbane Cricket Ground, Woolloongabba, Brisbane

ENGLAND: Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Anderson, Ball
AUSTRALIA: Warner, Bancroft, Khawaja, Smith, Handscomb, Marsh, Paine, Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Lyon

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Mystery of the Ashes Urn

THE ODDS: England are the 3-1 underdog in places for the first Test, with Australia well fancied at 4-5. You can get 4-1 on the draw. For the series, it's 17-5 England, 4-7 Australia and 17-2 the draw

""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

Re: 1st Ashes Test | Australia vs England at the Gabba, Brisbane

November 23 2017, 7:30 AM 

Good old fashioned test so far. I feel England are just edging this at the moment (at 160/3) partly down to the fact that Root is still there. One more wicket could swing things though. Really looking forward to how this unfolds.

Edit: I should've kept my mouth shut.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom from IP address 163.160.107.179 on Nov 23, 2017 7:40 AM

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

November 23 2017, 7:41 AM 

Oh Tom, what have you done happy.gif

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Slow pitch

November 23 2017, 9:04 AM 

A bit worried when Cook went early but the new boys seem to have done alright. They haven't put England in a winning position by any means but we don't have our backs pinned to the wall either.

Big day tomorrow obviously, hope Root's cunning plan of batting Bairstow down at 7 doesn't backfire.

I understand they think he can manipulate the tail better but I would hate to see him left high and dry or getting out to a reckless shot as he runs out of partners.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

November 23 2017, 9:37 AM 

Very even so far. I just wonder if the turn will continue throughout the match or if the pitch will dry and harden for the Aussie batsmen. A gutsy effort by England so far with quality bowling particularly by Lyon.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 23 2017, 10:34 AM 

Agree about Bairstow, i'm just about ok with him at 7 when Moeen and Woakes follow him. But when its just Woakes then Broad, Bairstow could potentially be wasted. Hopefully Broad, Ball and Anderson put up more fight than i expect.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

November 23 2017, 12:44 PM 

A really good day's cricket, with disciplined bowling and batting on a surprising pitch.

England's fringe players got really stuck in, and if they can carry on like that they will be fringe players no more. I agree that day 2 is pivotal, especially the first hour: from where we are it could be 300 all out, which would be a potential disaster; or we could push on to 400 and beyond, which you'd fancy us to do with Stokes instead of Ball.

I was pleasantly surprised by the BT commentary. Vaughan and Ponting stuck to cricket, where their expertise shone through, and with Swann to provide some fun - as well as expert analysis - the whole package was excellent and well balanced.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

November 23 2017, 12:50 PM 

Stoneman and Malan looked admirably gritty but Vince looked superb at times.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

November 23 2017, 12:57 PM 

And i don't think anyone expected Lyons to bowl so many overs on the first day..
I think Ali could be our match winner with bat and ball..

Otley
(Login Otley)

1st Ashes Test | Australia vs England at the Gabba, Brisbane

November 23 2017, 1:30 PM 

Vince really looked the part and Stoneman showed what we know he can do from several years of county cricket. Great to see the discipline they showed in a gripping first session. I had feared them winning the toss & piling on the runs like last time or us being several down by lunch and a painful watch for 7 weeks.
The BT sport commentary was so refreshing after the Sky team, most of whom seem to think it's about them rather than the cricket. Particularly impressed with Ponting, especially in contrast to Warne. Everything he said was thoughtful and knowledgeable and this set the tone for the rest of the team. Interesting in that I liked Warne as a player but wasn't fond of Ponting. Swann's suggestion that Lyon's pre-match rant/sledge was so unlikely that he had probably lost a bet was interesting.
350+ and the same weather could see us put them under real pressure especially if Mo (+ Joe & Malan?) can extract as much turn as Lyon.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

November 23 2017, 2:08 PM 

Moeen's bowling will be interesting. He could make a big step forward here if he can nip a few out. He's struggled a bit sometimes when he puts pressure on himself with the ball, but he's got the ability to make inroads into the Aussie batting.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

November 23 2017, 2:47 PM 

for those without BT Sport (from the Durham fans forum).

http://www.smartcric.com

A mobile phone apps that works with no buffering.

This message has been edited by StuartRA from IP address 79.69.151.206 on Nov 23, 2017 2:50 PM

WRF
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Day 2

November 23 2017, 11:23 PM 

Day One Stumps

England 196/4 (80.3 ov)
Australia
England won the toss and elected to bat
""

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

November 24 2017, 8:00 AM 

I put the Aussies slightly in front after the 2nd day Smith is always the danger man and looked comfortable from what I saw before work called. England are about 75 runs short on the first innings I think thanks to the usual mini collapse even though it came later in the innings than usual

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Hard work

November 24 2017, 8:46 AM 

Still pretty even as long as Smith and Marsh don't hang around for too long on day 3.

Feel sorry for YJB, difficult to know what to do for the best with Ali and Woakes being out so quickly.

Does seem a waste of one of England's best players.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

November 24 2017, 11:50 AM 

Yeah panned out as we feared. Although i thought he could have still batted normally with Broad, seemed in too much of a rush.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

November 24 2017, 2:04 PM 

Just as a matter of interest, can someone confirm my guess that Hanscomb and Marsh played more cricket for Yorkshire last year than Root and Bairstow?

(Just wondering who to support in the current match happy.gif )

(Login ThirdUmpire)

November 24 2017, 2:41 PM 

Elvis Presley and Nelson Mandela played more for Yorkshire last season than Root and Bairstow but with Starc too in the Aussie team we have more players in the Aussie team than England's. And if Renshaw had opened there would have been a Yorkshire born player in their side too plus isn't their a Yorkshire born keeper doing well for a state team??

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

November 24 2017, 2:56 PM 

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

November 24 2017, 3:07 PM 

Plus their coach is a true honorary Yorkshireman. I can't help but wish every success for the one and only Darren Lehmann

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk