<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2nd Ashes Test l Australia vs England at Adelaide (Match Thread)

December 2 2017 at 4:35 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner
from IP address 24.138.79.74

Dec 2-6, 2017 - 2nd Test at Adelaide Oval (day/night)

ENGLAND: Cook, Stoneman, Vince, Root, Malan, Bairstow, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Anderson, Ball, Overton
AUSTRALIA: Warner, Bancroft, Khawaja, Smith, Handscomb, Marsh, Paine, Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Lyon

Live Scorecard
Guerrilla Cricket Commentary
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: 2nd Ashes Test l Australia vs England at Adelaide (Match Thread)

December 2 2017, 7:22 AM 

What on earth was Root doing choosing to bowl first?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Putting them in

December 2 2017, 7:41 AM 

Can only presume Root wants to expose Australia to any early evening wobble of the pink ball under the lights first.

If they can get Smith out before lunch/dinner/tea whatever it's called it might be worth it.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 2 2017, 8:13 AM 

Oh dear. Just when we apply some pressure and Stoneman drops a sitter at long leg.

Broad leading the chirp at Smith but Johnny keeping his head down (so to speak)

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

root

December 2 2017, 5:37 PM 

root has a very poor record when he as captained Yorkshire and I cant see him doing any better for England .

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

root

December 2 2017, 5:37 PM 

root has a very poor record when he as captained Yorkshire and I cant see him doing any better for England .

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

December 2 2017, 7:37 PM 

Off the top of my head, Root’s record as Yorks captain is won 1, drawn 1, lost 1. Not much to be concluded from that, I would have thought.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Grow into it

December 2 2017, 8:21 PM 

Very easy to be ultra critical when it's one of yours.

Not really convinced with Root as captain so far but it is very early days and I hope he can grow into the role. He may have to learn a few harsh lessons on the way. Perhaps he is guilty of being too funky with his field positions and is trying too hard to stamp his mark on the team.

Interesting to know if they always intended to bat first or he changed the script at the last minute seeking a possible short term advantage with the conditions.

Like the first test the first session on day two is crucial, get these two out and they could still be under par.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

December 3 2017, 8:04 AM 

This shocking decision by Root to bowl first which has no logic has cost us any chance of retaining The Ashes.
That and a squad selection which should see the selectors, Whittaker, Fraser and Newell sacked.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

December 3 2017, 11:29 AM 

Factors in us losing the Ashes:
- 70% - Quality of English bowlers available
- 29% - Squad selection
- 1% - Root's decision to bowl first in the 2nd test

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

December 3 2017, 1:35 PM 

Easy to be sceptical of the toss decision after the event, but England's batting is weak and so is their bowling, and no doubt we'd have been underachieving had we had first strike. I think Bayleaf would be better employed concentrating on the one day stuff, leaving Farbrace in charge for the longer game, but at least I applaud his comment afterwards that he didn't like the sledging and thought it set a bad example when it could be heard on the stump mics. As for Joe, he set some innovative fields and he can only get better as a captain, can't he? Pace and quality spin are required.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

December 3 2017, 3:22 PM 

Intereesting article by Michael Atherton in the ST about the toss and batting/bowling.

Quotes stats over 30 years and, "on the 691 occasoins in Tests, the teram batting first lost more than was won, 219 wins v 238 losses, whereas being inserted saw 146 wins to 113 losses."

In the (very) short history of Adelaide the 2 day nighters have gone to the bowling team.

If Joe thought the overhead conditions might have helped this was negated by "neither Anderson or Broad located a length in their opening spells, barely a ball threatened the stumps, the new ball was wasted"

In conclusion he says "England's destiny in this match will likely be decided by their excellence or otherwise with bat and ball rather than the captain's call at the toss"

So, that's England's fate sealed then, regardless of the toss.

John Gill
(Login johngi)

2nd Test

December 3 2017, 4:39 PM 

Do people really believe the captain makes the choice of who bats first on his own?

Otley
(Login Otley)

2nd Ashes Test l Australia vs England at Adelaide (Match Thread)

December 3 2017, 4:55 PM 

For what it's worth, Pietersen said on commentary yesterday that he thought Anderson & Broad didn't want to bowl first. Far from my favourite person, but did he pick that up from somewhere or possibly trying to read their body language in the first hour.

Interesting how much quicker Ball Tracking is coming up in this series, especially having viewed the New Zealand Test earlier in the evening where it took as long as it does here. I wonder if the rush to speed it up is making it less accurate. The Marsh overturn in particular looked very suspect and provoked quite a bit of comment.

This message has been edited by Otley from IP address 86.191.242.208 on Dec 3, 2017 4:56 PM

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

December 3 2017, 5:14 PM 

I think Pietersen saw that as his opportunity to stir things.His tone during his, thankfully brief, stint was critical,sneering and opportunistic IMHO.

Overton was asked about the decision later and said the the bowlers, and the team, were involved in the discussion and agreed with it.

This message has been edited by legglance from IP address 94.1.106.65 on Dec 3, 2017 5:15 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Wholehearted!

December 3 2017, 6:12 PM 

It's a bit chalk and cheese watching and listening to the different bowling attacks.

Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair but the English bowlers, who are down on speed anyway, seem to be holding back a few mph.
Perhaps this is in order to keep themselves fit for the entire series. The Aussies on the other hand seem to put everything they have into every delivery.

This is understandable in some ways when it comes to Anderson, maybe even with Broad, as they need to be managed and have the skill and experience to be dangerous with the new ball and economical when the ball is worn. However, Woakes, Ball and Overton need to get the ball into the right area using all the pace they can muster in order to be effective. Leaving 10% in the tank for safety isn't going to win us the Ashes in Australia.

Don't get me started on spin bowling, Ali is often useful in England and his batting gets him his place. As he has a central contract I'm not against him going on overseas tours. I just don't think he should play that's all.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

December 3 2017, 8:07 PM 

Broad has bowled reasonably well in this match, and was quicker to adjust his length than Jimmy, who has been less impressive. Their bowling speeds have (I think) been on a par with their usual figures, and Broad in particular was hitting 85-86mph fairly regularly today. Woakes bowled bland fast medium, back of a length - no deviation, no variations. As for Overton, Steve Smith was right: he really is slow - sub-80mph for most of today's first session. Weirdly, he gets even slower when he attempts to hit a fuller length (is it his brother who's the quicker of the two?). Moeen Ali meanwhile offered absolutely nothing.

Basically we are carrying three bowlers. I don't see much hope.

It seems like only yesterday that we were criticising Duncan Fletcher for his obsession with pace. What has happened to our fast bowling?

(Agree with LG about Pietersen - he was clearly stirring. I think it's highly unlikely that he would have much insight into the current England dressing room, and least of all into the innermost thoughts of Broad and Anderson.)

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 4 2017, 9:04 AM 

Batting been worse than the bowling considering the pitches we've seen so far.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

December 4 2017, 9:25 AM 

Agreed, but I think it's the bowling that's the real problem. It puts huge pressure on the batsmen when they don't believe they have the bowlers to take 20 wickets.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

December 4 2017, 9:58 AM 

Strange decision not to enforce the follow-on, as it is swinging and seaming a lot. England would have been 5 down by close of play, against their attack, if they had batted again.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk