<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: 2nd Ashes Test l Australia vs England at Adelaide (Match Thread)

December 4 2017, 10:40 AM 

At least, much better bowling now in helpful conditions and came close to getting Smith. Looks much too late though.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

December 4 2017, 11:27 AM 

A very, very good morning session could put us in with a sniff.

Smith must be rueing the decision not to enforce the follow on but, as Ponting has just said, the decision's made all rest on the result.

A glimmer of optimism aided greatly by the conditions tonight.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

December 4 2017, 11:34 AM 

The only session of this test that I've missed! Fantastic fightback. I'm not Anderson's biggest fan, but it sounds like he showed some serious ticker today.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 4 2017, 11:47 AM 

Probably already have enough but at least abit of fight from Woakes/Overton and then with the ball.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

December 4 2017, 1:20 PM 

No follow on must be the right decision. Australia will add plenty tomorrow after the difficult session under lights and it's already out of reach for England unless the pitch flattens out completely. Also the Aussie fast bowlers have had injury problems and need treating with care.
All's not lost as I gather there could be some rain.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Follow-on

December 4 2017, 9:43 PM 

Kind of match situation where you wouldn't expect a team to enforce the follow-on normally.

Bit different though being a day/night game and I think on reflection Australia might wish they had gone for it.

Long day I know for the bowlers but I'm sure they could have managed another half dozen overs each. The reward could have been a totally demoralised England looking down the barrel of an ashes whitewash.

Still odds on we will lose of course but it suddenly feels like the teams are not that far apart.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 4 2017, 9:48 PM 

I'm dreading looking at my phone at 5-15 in the morning to see two Yorkshire players in the midst of a big partnership and sadly I don't mean Root and Bairstow.....

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

December 5 2017, 7:27 AM 

If all our top 7 can score 40 then that's 280 of the runs down. Having 5 left handed batsmen in the top order against Lyon doesn't fill me with confidence. I've never been happy about Vince or Malan, let's hope they make me eat humble pie.

Cook finally goes, he should've gone earlier but Australia picked the wrong ball to appeal.

This message has been edited by whiterosetom on Dec 5, 2017 7:28 AM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Keep scoring

December 5 2017, 7:57 AM 

Interesting final session coming up, I'm not going anywhere. It's the hope that kills you!

I haven't heard it mentioned but a nice drop of rain to take the tricky night session out of the equation would be lovely.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

December 5 2017, 8:00 AM 

Never have we needed someone to make a big hundred to give us a chance. At least they're going in to the evening session with a ball that's 28 overs old. It really is the hope that kills you isn't it

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

December 5 2017, 8:04 AM 

I can decide if it would've been better for us to have been all out for 200 chasing 500 (as I suspected we would this time yesterday) or if i'd rather us get within 50 runs of our target only for Lyon or Starc to smugly take the last wicket.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

December 5 2017, 10:12 AM 

This is tense. A lot depends on surviving the twilight zone now. Well played Joe.
OZ have no reviews left 30 mins for England to survive tonight. Crucial spell. It will get harder if they do get closer to the target, of course.

This message has been edited by NewBrian on Dec 5, 2017 10:34 AM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Extra dimensions

December 5 2017, 10:36 AM 

Absolutely brilliant listen, starting to wish I had gone for the BT sports offer.

Record crowd already for this test match in Adelaide so although the pink ball jury is out in this country I think it is here to stay.

I'm a sort of traditionalist when it comes to Test match cricket but with the introduction of DRS and now the pink ball stuff it has added a an extra couple of new dimensions to the game.

Not least trying to avoid batting against a new ball in the final session.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

December 5 2017, 10:44 AM 

What a test match this could turn out to be. The first innings declaration (that seemed fair enough at the time) and not taking the option to have a bowl at England with the new ball in the dark could really make Smith look a bit silly.

Two key points in the match now, the final ten overs tonight and the new ball tomorrow.

I get the argument that Bairstow is better batting with the tail than Ali but surely a right handed bat to break up the left handers against Lyon would be a massive advantage.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

December 5 2017, 10:47 AM 

Good point re the right handed Bairstow, Tom.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

December 5 2017, 10:51 AM 

Malan gone, crucial we don't lose another in these last 20. Don't suppose it's raining is it ?

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

December 5 2017, 10:55 AM 

Root 66!
Malan scored about his average in the end. Now we get the better batsmen.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

December 5 2017, 11:01 AM 

To be fair when the Root/Malan partnership came together are 91/3 i'd have settled for 171/4 with Root still in. Big decision to put Woakes in as nightwatchman.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

December 5 2017, 11:06 AM 

That was exhausting, just watching Cricinfo. Shows why Test cricket will always be the ni 1 for me at least. Talking about ebb and flow. Early rising for me tomorrow, 3.30 instead of 4.30 happy.gif

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 5 2017, 11:08 AM 

No issues with Woakes as nightwatchman, proper batsman. It's when they send in the likes of Anderson i can't have.

Agree with Bairstow next in, keep right handers to hopefully negate Lyon for aslong as possible.

Dare to dream..

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk