<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: 2nd Ashes Test l Australia vs England at Adelaide (Match Thread)

December 5 2017, 11:15 AM 

Thank goodness they're looking to do away with 5 day tests. The potential excitement and potentially career defining innings we could witness tomorrow aren't needed to keep this game alive!! wink.gif

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

December 5 2017, 12:22 PM 

Sport doesn't get better than that final session, absolutely gripping stuff.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Possible problem

December 5 2017, 12:30 PM 

Sounded to me like the ball was very difficult to see during the last 5 overs or so.

Fair enough it is part of the game but with 90 mph men bowling short with an old ball that has lost its pinkness there could be a player safety issue.

I know bad light and light meters are supposed to be out of equation but I'm not sure we don't need some method of either measuring the light in the middle or for the umpire to be able to deem conditions too poor for quick bowlers.

Not sure what the answer is but if a few players are reporting a problem then it needs to be dealt with before someone gets a bad one.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

December 5 2017, 12:33 PM 

A 2nd strong innings might mask our batting problems but Malan has consistently made "contributions" but no real scores and Vince has made one score followed by three failures. Of course none of our other batsmen have really done any better but the rest of them are proven at test level.

Do you bring Ballance back in? Whose place does he take? I think if he gets back in it has to be at 5 but I feel like i'd rather give Malan longer than Vince.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

December 5 2017, 12:44 PM 

I wouldn't pick Ballance, I'd swap Vince and Malan in the order.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

December 5 2017, 12:49 PM 

I'd bat Bairstow at 5 and bring in Foakes.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

December 5 2017, 12:53 PM 

'Australia have verbally abused England players over an issue which "hasn't come out for various reasons", former wicketkeeper Matt Prior has claimed.'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42232055

Matt Prior should heed his own advice and keep his big mouth shut. The last thing England need at this critical stage of the game and series is journos rooting around for more gossip.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

December 5 2017, 1:14 PM 

100% agree with bringing Foakes in. My only worry would be upsetting Jonny if he really wants the gloves. He's a big boy though and should be able to deal with it.

Imagine a 6/7/8 of Stokes, Foakes, Woakes. All good blokes.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

December 5 2017, 1:20 PM 

JB's keeping to Moeen has been pretty terrible this series, tbf - lots of drops and fumbles. Luckily for him, Moeen's bowling has been equally bad...

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

December 5 2017, 1:28 PM 

"I'd bat Bairstow at 5 and bring in Foakes."

Yes, as I said before the series started. It would strengthen the team, surely.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

December 5 2017, 3:23 PM 

what a fantastic days cricket, test cricket at its best. england may not win but at least they have shown some fight, and set up a possible great day tomorrow.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Best number 3

December 5 2017, 4:00 PM 

Even Vince's strongest supporters must be getting fed up with him getting himself out driving at a wide one.

Stoneman and Malan have been more convincing without actually setting the world on fire.

There's an ongoing problem at number 3 and until Root grasps the nettle and realises he's the best man for the job I don't think it will go away.

Some reservations about drafting in Ballance, unless he bats at 5 and they are absolutely certain sure he is in form.

Foakes may or may not be the answer but I think it would be wiser to wait for a home series to throw in yet another player on debut. Unless of course we go 3 zip down after Perth when Foakes and even Crane might get a go.

Perhaps both Ballance and Foakes will play in the next 2 day fixture and then it will be down to Bayliss and Root whether to stick with Vince or twist.

A lot depends on how things go tomorrow, for now I'm hoping England can get through to the new ball with the loss of at most one wicket, and that wicket is not Root's.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

December 6 2017, 7:27 AM 

ah.....

Didnt quite go to plan i'm afraid.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

December 6 2017, 7:27 AM 

ah.....

Didnt quite go to plan i'm afraid.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

December 6 2017, 7:32 AM 

got up at 3.15 instead of normal 4.30. By 3.45 I was wishing I'd had the extra hour in bed happy.gif Now awaiting the arrival of my Australian cricket nut colleague and she may be gloating a bit

This message has been edited by Davetyke from IP address 192.127.94.7 on Dec 6, 2017 7:33 AM

(Login dpressed)

December 6 2017, 8:11 AM 

Sadly 5-0 looks a distinct possibility

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Hate losing sleep

December 6 2017, 8:20 AM 

Checked the score every half an hour and every time there were 2 wickets down.

It's not just the hope but also the lack of sleep that is killing me.

Didn't really expect them to win but I hoped they could get close and put a bit of a fright into the Aussies.

(Login dpressed)

December 6 2017, 8:45 AM 

Ronnie Moore (ex football manager) got it right with his tweet

Well Well Well they gave us all hope, and then break our hearts 🏏🏏🏏🏏🏏😰😑

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 6 2017, 9:21 AM 

It’s hard to change the batsmen when the reserves have less time in the middle than those in possession. How can we tell if Foakes and Ballance can do better than Vince and Malan?

But I’d give Foakes a chance purely as a batsman to start as he is right handed so he will mix up the left handed dominance to at least make their bowlers have to change lines etc.

Vince has learnt nothing since being dropped. No change in technique or style to overcome obvious flaws. Question is has Balance learned now?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

No change

December 6 2017, 9:43 AM 

I know it's impossible to know exactly what Bayliss means but I think he might have been saying there won't be any changes in the team for Perth when he gave his post match interview.

I think I understand that, perhaps Vince's 80 odd in Brisbane has bought him one more chance.

I suppose being fair to the bloke and giving him enough rope to prove he isn't good enough at this level, for a second time, is more important than giving your team the best chance of not losing the Ashes. Especially if you have no confidence in the possible replacements.

Of course it isn't all about Vince, nobody in the team has consistently played at the level they are capable of and we need some more runs from our world class players, Cook, Root and Bairstow.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk