<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

Re: 2nd Ashes Test l Australia vs England at Adelaide (Match Thread)

December 6 2017, 9:51 AM 

Places 5-8 are already cluttered and will become more so if Stokes returns. Any thought of playing Ballance (or Foakes) anywhere else in the batting order is a non-starter. The problem lies in no's 1-3. Cook is always going to play, even if this is the beginning of the end for him. I've always favoured Stoneman who has done just about ok. We have no reserve openers nor any obvious no 3.

I might be inclined to return Ali to the batter who bowls a bit role which seems to be what he is in this series. Could he bat 3 and lave a berth for Balance or Stokes lower down? Not suggesting this is ideal, but we are where we are.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

December 6 2017, 10:05 AM 

once again jonny bairstow was left to bat with the tail. a quality batsman, he should be batting much higher in the order. his talent is being wasted.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

December 6 2017, 10:15 AM 

I must be honest, for this series its now about using what we have (I would personally like Hameed and Stokes but that isn't going to happen).

Malan was a very left field selection and quite unwarranted. But he has actually looked alright. He seems more technically strong than Vince and Balance should not have gone on the tour in the first place.

The fact is the best 3 batsmen are Cook, Root and Bairstow. Use them in the top 4 - Its that simple. That is where our batting should fire. I am sick of seeing 3 or 4 down for 50 and expecting the lower order to bail us out.

What does concern me is Ali is acting like a bits and pieces cricketer again. I would be tempted to take a risk on Crane as at least he gets some spin and offers a glimpse into the talent you need to win such a series.

Problem then is you severely hamper the batting, unless you go in with 3 seamers and a spin (which is a huge risk with Crane).

Either way we need pace. Either play Wood or Garton.

Cook, Stoneman, Root, Bairstow, Malan, Ali, Foakes (WK), C. Overton, Wood, Broad, Anderson

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 6 2017, 11:56 AM 

Broad ahead of Woakes Lew?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 6 2017, 12:17 PM 

Agree with switching Malan and Vince in order. Move Bairstow to 6, Ali 7 and same attack.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

December 6 2017, 12:50 PM 

Agreed DS. If Wood were fit I'd be tempted to bring him in, but that's a big 'if'. Although I see he's just taken 2 wickets in the recent Lions game.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

December 6 2017, 1:14 PM 

I've been thinking about Stokes and wondering whether he would really have made that much difference. A few extra runs perhaps but he's not much different to the bowlers England already have. No higher in pace and he is just a fourth seamer at the end of the day, or first change at best.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

December 6 2017, 1:39 PM 

Having trouble finding Lions scores anywhere. Wasn't sure if they were playing yet or not.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

December 6 2017, 2:06 PM 

Brian - there's some info on the Lions tour here, although the scorecards are not completely up-to-date:https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/lions

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

December 6 2017, 2:17 PM 

Cheers Paul.
Must say I hope Virdi makes the grade as a Test player eventually, maybe against Elgar and Wagner. Probably a bit too green at the moment.

This message has been edited by NewBrian from IP address 87.113.134.251 on Dec 6, 2017 2:19 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Lions

December 6 2017, 3:42 PM 

Naturally the Lions are playing 50 over white ball cricket so I don't think 2 wickets for Wood means anything at all.

I doubt Wood will ever play test match cricket again, hope I'm wrong.

Just to make any runs scored or wickets taken in a Lions game any less relevant, the Lions are moving on to play T20 now.

Marvellous!

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

December 6 2017, 4:52 PM 

"I've been thinking about Stokes and wondering whether he would really have made that much difference. A few extra runs perhaps but he's not much different to the bowlers England already have. No higher in pace and he is just a fourth seamer at the end of the day, or first change at best."

I can't work out whether this post is serious or not. Playing Ben Stokes wouldn't make that much difference? "a few extra runs perhaps" Seriously?

Playing Ben Stokes would make a whole world of difference, not just what he does himself but the balance he brings to the team. For starters, batting him at 6 means Bairstow could bat 7 without having to worry about the tail as he'd have Ali and Woakes behind him. Or you could bat Bairstow at 5 and play a 2nd spinner, giving some variation.

There's a reason genuine all rounders are so valued in the game, they make so much difference.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

December 7 2017, 2:50 PM 

Interesting journalism in today's Independent (Jonathan Liew):

"Bairstow began the test summer batting at No.5. He opens in one-day internationals. Now here he was at no.8, batting with James Anderson.....England have three batsmen in their top five without a single test century to their name. Bairstow meanwhile, has a 140, a 150 and a 167, and was now almost out of partners before he had reached 40.......Bairstow has been at the crease for 73.4 overs in this series. He has spent 42 of them - more than half - batting with a bowler."

All fairly obvious, though the specific figures are interesting. Equally obvious conclusion: Jonny should bat in the top five. If doing that and keeping is considered too much - and I would give him the key voice in that decision - Foakes should play.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 7 2017, 5:26 PM 

100% correct idle man.

There is case for Bairstow to open, bat at 3 4 5 6 but anything else shows the utter stupidity of the management who seem keen to protect him as the keeper with some utter cock and bull about being a good batsman with the tail,

He’s an even better batsman with batsmen at the other end

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk