<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Wisden and other Christmas books

December 3 2017 at 4:50 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator
from IP address 79.69.151.206

......on sale for £9.99 at Amazon in Hardback with free delivery. Make a good Christmas pressie!!

The paper back version is £46.38.

Still 1584 pages, so can not understand why the much cheaper price for the hardback version, but not complaining.

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts from IP address 24.138.79.74 on Dec 26, 2017 2:34 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: Wisden

December 4 2017, 10:24 AM 

Thanks for posting Stu, remarkable price.

(Login dpressed)

December 25 2017, 7:14 PM 

Thanks to Stu & Father Christmas I'm now the proud owner of a 2017 Wisden. Thanks

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

December 25 2017, 8:20 PM 

When my wife ordered mine, it was down to just £8. A remarkable price!!

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

December 25 2017, 9:01 PM 

And me, as well as JB's book; "Connie: The Marvellous Life of Learie Constantine" by Harry Pearson who wrote the brilliant "Slipless in Settle" and "The Trundlers", both of which I'm sure many of you will be familiar with; and various items of YCCC clothing for the new season to suit all weathers. The lass has done well as always!

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Wisden and other Christmas books

December 27 2017, 10:59 AM 

I got the Jonny Bairstow/Duncan Hamilton book and i'm quite stunned at how good it was. What do they know of cricket who only cricket know. The story is certainly Jonny's - but he was wise to work with such an excellent writer as Hamilton..
I also got a book by our very own Dave Morton which is an excellent read - congratulations Dave..

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

December 27 2017, 11:00 AM 

I got the Jonny Bairstow/Duncan Hamilton book and i'm quite stunned at how good it was. What do they know of cricket who only cricket know. The story is certainly Jonny's - but he was wise to work with such an excellent writer as Hamilton..
I also got a book by our very own Dave Morton which is an excellent read - congratulations Dave..

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

December 27 2017, 11:55 AM 

Agree Steve, I wasn't expecting too much from Jonny's book - as with Joe Root's effort - but it's a great read.

The Stephen Chalke/Geoff Cope collaboration, 'In Sunshine and in Shadow', is even better.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

December 27 2017, 9:02 PM 

I also got the JB book although I've yet to start it. The other book I got was 'No Coward Soul' the Stephen Chalk + Derek Hodgson book about Bob Appleyard. I'm around the half way point. An incredible tale, heart- breakingly sad in parts.

Once I've finished I'm be interested in the opinion of WRF members who saw him play or others who have knowledge from reliable sources who did.

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

December 28 2017, 10:38 AM 

I also got the JB/Duncan Hamilton book plus The Final Over by Christopher Sandford & The Coming Storm by Nigel McCrery should keep me going for a while wink.gif

Rich
(Login Topwithins)

December 28 2017, 2:51 PM 

Have the Jonny book which is very good. Don't have any Wisden's but I'm wanting to start collecting them from when Yorkshire have won County Championships in my lifetime (and) from the year I was born - 1957.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 28 2017, 9:02 PM 

Got Johnnys book which is excellent half way through.

Bought my Dad the Geoff Cope book and hoping to smuggle it back home in a few months time.

SpireTyke
(Login SpireTyke)

December 28 2017, 9:23 PM 

I have not read Johnny's book, but agree that Geoff Cope's book is superb.

I hope this won't spoil it for anyone, but the last words Geoff's Mum said to Geoff before she died were "I love you dearly and I hope one day you will bring home a Yorkshire cap for your Dad."

(Login matthefish2002)

January 3 2018, 9:14 AM 

Just finished Jonny Bairstows book and like others have said it was well written about at times a difficult subject. He did well choosing a good co writer.

Recently read David Lloyds autobiography which is also a good read although the last section feels like padding it out slightly.

Will look out for Geoff Copes book after the recommendations on here.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

January 3 2018, 10:41 AM 

I spent my Waterstones voucher yesterday and picked up “Coach” by Darren Lehmann now I’ve just finished Bairstows excellent book which brought back many fond memories of watching David in the 70s and 80s as well as the odd sad reminder about how our great club was run by some utter buffoons at the same time. The treatment of David after he retired was simply awful and it’s a credit to Johnny that he was still happy to play for Yorkshire after the way his Dad was treated in retirement.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

January 3 2018, 11:02 AM 

I think some of them were worse than buffoons, some were nasty little men, made nastier by the acquisition of a little power.

Bryan Stott tells a story of the winter of 1962 when it was decided - probably by Brian Sellers - that there were too many capped players, and one would have to go. The decision was Brian Bolus (who promptly went to Notts and batted his way into the England team before the end of the season), but some self-important twit took it upon himself to say - in public - to Stott, a day or two afterwards, 'two votes, Stott, two votes'. What the hell was the point of that except to reinforce the serf-like status of the players which so many of the committee men of that era held? Sellers certainly seemed to think that keeping the players in a constant sense of servile insecurity was a management strategy.

Thank God, those days are over. Whenever we feel like moaning about today's powers that be, perhaps we should remember how much better they are than most of their predecessors.

(Login davehelen1709)

January 3 2018, 12:18 PM 

I'm afraid I disagree on JB's book. The voice of the ghost (Duncan Hamilton) was too prominent in certain sections of the book and I didn't feel like it was Jonny talking. Indeed some pieces seemed to almost have been lifted from other books I have read by the author. The personal recollections of his dad, their early life and untimely death were excellent and very moving - I struggled with the parts on the YCCC Civil War and his dad's career as it felt a little inauthentic.

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

January 5 2018, 3:47 PM 

Just back from a midweek break & decided to take The Final Over, the cricketers of summer 1914 by Christopher Sandford with me. A good & informative read thus far which must have taken a tremendous amount of research but I'm enjoying it.

This message has been edited by ExiledinNotts from IP address 86.9.6.243 on Jan 5, 2018 3:57 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk