<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Moxon, Gale & Arthur on Radio Leeds

December 6 2017 at 1:56 PM
Guest  (Login whiterosefan)
from IP address 217.113.167.99

Martyn Moxon, Andrew Gale and Mark Arthur to go on BBC Radio Leeds on Thursday, 6-7pm.

https://yorkshireccc.com/news/view/6178/yorkshire-cricket-special-on-bbc-radio-leeds

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ExiledinNotts)

Re: Moxon, Gale & Arthur on Radio Leeds

December 8 2017, 10:38 AM 

Sadly wasn't around to listen to this was anything significant said ?

(Login KennyShovel)

December 8 2017, 11:54 AM 

Few things that I noted:

They've been in contact with Williamson for a while. Sounds like the negotiations were around length of his stint. Yorkshire wanted him for as long as possible but he needs a break etc. They are in contact with another international batsman to top and tail Williamson's spell. They needed to sort out the contract with Kane first, now that is done they hope to make a further announcement in a week or so.

They thought supporters were right to be unhappy about performances last season. Some in the championship were "embarrassing to be honest". Again there were hints at complacency in the squad.

Yorkshire & Surrey are the two sides that are close to the salary cap, although Surrey's is higher due to London weighting. This, along with a few other comments about commitment to bringing academy players though, made it sound very unlikely that we will be making further signings.

They don't have a 100% firm view on batting line-up for next year. That depends on overseas player being finalised, Ballance getting back into England side or not, who finds form in pre-season. This sounded like a message for the players to me.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

December 8 2017, 12:02 PM 

Thanks Kenny. I’d be interested to know the reaction of posters who are generally critical of the management. That all sounds pretty sensible to me. What do others feel?

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Moxon, Gale &amp; Arthur on Radio Leeds

December 8 2017, 12:11 PM 

The salary cap issue puts the 'why aren't we signing loads of players' arguments to bed!

Pauld
(Login pdowgill)

Salary cap

December 8 2017, 1:45 PM 

Makes you wonder why they are close to salary cap when England are paying a good number of the the players?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 8 2017, 2:05 PM 

Sidebottom off the books too.

I think they were shrewd with the Kane announcement. Deflected alot of attention for the radio show.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

December 8 2017, 2:25 PM 

Only Root and Ballance are "off the books", Plunkett Rashid and Willey who I think all have incremental contracts, are paid by the county - the England money is in effect a bonus. This is what the PCA site says:

"With England Increment Contracts, the County continues to pay the player’s salary, with ECB paying the player an incremental salary. The County receives compensation from the ECB for matches missed while on England duty."

But an impact of having five players regularly in the England set up is that a larger squad is needed, which leads to an increased wage bill.

(Login ElTwis)

December 8 2017, 5:19 PM 

With the salary cap issues I wonder if that means a 2nd overseas for the t20 is unlikely

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Straight bats

December 8 2017, 9:59 PM 

I forgot about it but listened to it on iplayer a bit later.

Nothing too searching in the questioning but I thought they handled it well as a team and nobody tried to stand on anyone else's toes when it came to fielding questions on the different areas of responsibility.

They didn't try to defend the indefensible when speaking of some of the performances last year, and like most of the rest of us are hoping for an improvement in 2018.

I must admit to quite liking all three of them so I'm sure others will have differing views.

Pauld
(Login pdowgill)

December 9 2017, 1:15 PM 

Isn't Bairstow off the books as well - so we have three players who cost nothing in salary terms (although not fully sure re Ballance) and they are not replaced with better/equal so why would these salaries be high?. Top dollar probably Lyth, Bresnan, Brookes, Sidebottom (gone), Rashid, Plunkett & Willey but some money regained for last three and maybe Patterson. Cannot see why any others would be given ages/quality/experience. So i am still not convinced - of course overseas could be taking too large a slice of pie - they need to be on incentive contracts. Perhaps it it the price of success - re-negotiated deals. I haven't heard the broadcast but i would have asked why we were near the salary cap.

(Login dpressed)

December 9 2017, 1:57 PM 

Can someone please explain why Yorkshire should have to pay an employee who isn't allowed to do their job because someone else (Team England/ECB etc) has picked them or told them to rest.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 9 2017, 3:54 PM 

I meant Root and Bairstow. Ballance didn't get his central contract renewed

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

December 9 2017, 4:00 PM 

Agree they did come across very well, and always have done whenever they have appeared in the media. But as ever the proof should be in the results, and if there is no improvement next season the club will have to make changes.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

December 10 2017, 9:11 AM 

I suspect Matt Fisher, Harry Brook and Ben Coad getting enhanced contracts will have seen the wage bill increase. Even so I find it hard to envisage Yorkshire are close to breaching the salary cap with a combined 23 1st and 2nd XI capped players (including the England players) plus the overseas signing.

As well as Bairstow and Root being central contracted, players who have only played for one county get 10% discount off the cap which is basically 75% of the Yorkshire squad. Also the salary cap includes any "Benefits in Kind". Yorkshire get compensated for losing non-central contracted players to England duty, though not sure whether that compensation can be added to the salary to make a 2nd Overseas signing for T20.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk