<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

England 2 day warm-up

December 8 2017 at 10:38 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)
from IP address 95.146.130.152

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42262657 Strange mix of a team: Can't see the point of playing an injured Mooen Ali who isn't going to bowl, unless it's in the hope he gets injured further and they can drop him! I understand the forlorn hope that Mark Wood will suddenly be capable of bowling at 140 kph but why pick the other Lions players who have no chance of getting in the test team. Of course the standby men, Foakes, Ballance, Ball, Curran and Crane all naturally play but surely Vince, Malan, Stoneman and even Cook need the practice more than Duckett, Lawrence, Jennings et al.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: England 2 day warm-up

December 9 2017, 9:38 AM 

Ballance has done himself no favours with 1 run today. I guess we can rule him out of the England team for the foreseeable future, so good news for us.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Prolongs the uncertainty

December 9 2017, 10:44 PM 

It really is weird wanting Ballance to do well in an England shirt while on the other hand hoping he is free to play for Yorkshire next season.

Whereas a decent score would have been better obviously for his ambitions, it being cricket, getting out for a low score isn't fatal, until you make a habit of it.

Decent innings by Jennings may mean his 2nd coming for England may not be too far away.

Livingston and Clarke may also come into the England reckoning soon, putting pressure on Vince and Malan as well as Ballance if they don't manage to pin down their places.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 10 2017, 6:10 AM 

Funny old game cricket....

The second innings of the possible second coming of Jennings saw him out first Ball while Bsllance made 45 not out!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

No wiser

December 10 2017, 8:05 AM 

As you say it's a funny old game and I suspect it will be the same England team for the Perth test.

None of the bowlers have set the world on fire either. A couple of openers I've never heard of making batting look very easy for the CA XI.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 10 2017, 12:09 PM 

Curran the only one to put his hand up.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 10 2017, 12:34 PM 

Perhaps Curran can bat at three..... Wood at five and all we need is some one else to open.

It's not unreasonable to say Lyth Ballance,Rashid and Plunkett could all do just as well or better than the current starting 11 but I worry Plunkett may be in the category of trouble makers on the fringe who they will dispense with next year

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk