<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Boycott

December 9 2017 at 9:26 AM
Seadog73  (Login Seadog73)
from IP address 82.132.214.224

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/dec/08/geoffrey-boycott-commentary-tv-radio-ashes-england-australia

I reckon this might spark a debate! Personally I agree with much of this (runs away and hides).

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Boycott

December 9 2017, 9:40 AM 

I also agree with the points raised in the article, but hardly "new" news. It`s been known for years that Boycott was the way he was.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

December 9 2017, 9:54 AM 

He's a Jeckyll and Hyde summariser, full of insight one moment, then whiningly irritating the next. But you know what you're going to get, don't you? There's a bit of that in Michael Vaughan, too. I disagree about him being a boring batsman, though. I thought his battles with pace bowlers were fascinating, and in his relative youth he was far more fluent that people seem to remember.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Yes but

December 9 2017, 10:16 AM 

I do agree it is often tortuous to listen to his expert commentary stints, especially when he is on with Aggers. I squirm as he jumps from hobby horse to anecdote and back to hobby horse, it's well past time he was taken out of this role.

However I do think he still has the ability to see it like it is and refreshingly isn't afraid to say so.

I miss his end of day summary when I thought he always got things just about right and I think he is fine giving short updates on radio.

Of course these thing are very subjective.

I suppose as long as someone is going to pay Boycott for doing it he will churn out the same old stuff, the same might apply to Mathew Engel.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

December 9 2017, 10:32 AM 

The trouble with 'character' commentators is that they fall in love with their own character and start to play up to it. As a result they start off as a breath of fresh air but can finish up as unintentional self-parody and a bit of a bore. The same trajectory was followed by Fred I'm afraid.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

December 9 2017, 10:37 AM 

As much as I agree with many of his points here, wasn't it Engel who wrote an incredibly pompous and reactionary piece bemoaning the state of the modern game recently? Rather ironic.

Pauld
(Login pdowgill)

December 9 2017, 1:23 PM 

In terms of talking about the intricacies of technique who is better as a summariser? I suppose there is a need to both inform and entertain and he is better at the former in my view. I tend to cringe when he is paired with Alison Mitchell - just waiting for the patriarchal overtones. But do we really think the 'new approach' led by Daggers (who i like as a commentator) et al is better? It could be i am just on old Yorkshireman who, it seems like many, does not like change.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

December 9 2017, 3:40 PM 

He's okay on radio but he doesn't adjust well to the telly. He doesn't seem to realise that when we can see pictures less is more.

(Login matthefish2002)

December 11 2017, 11:05 AM 

I will nail my colours to the mast and say I am big Geoff Boycott commentary fan.
Although I agree he does use the clique of his Mums apron and stick of rhubarb a bit too much sometimes.
I think the article has hurt Boycott a bit by his reaction to it on twitter,

One commentator who I think is past his sell by date is Ian Botham, loved him as a player but very bland now he is in the commentary box. You get the feel he is only on Sky because of his name.
Like David Lloyd seems a decent bloke I could imagine enjoying a pint with but over does the clown role a bit on occasion.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 12 2017, 8:54 AM 

Sadly Foxy Fowler is also sticking the boot in on Twitter about Boycs being a coward and ducking away from England when the Aussie and windies quicks were in their pomp. Plenty of defence of Geoffrey including himself but my estimation of Foxy which was high having read his excellent book has now plummeted in view of his ill informed opinions and raking up stuff he knows little about. I wonder if the jealousy extends to the fact Boycott still commentates whilst Foxy doesn’t

(Login matthefish2002)

December 12 2017, 9:05 AM 

I respect Graeme Fowler a lot after reading his book and the work he does to promote mental health issues. But a bit disappointed he has got into a pointless twitter spat with Boycott and rehashing unfounded myths about Boycott making excuses to sit out games against quick bowlers.
Think Boycott is right that you can dislike him for personal reasons but if you are going to have a go at him as a cricketer at least get you facts right.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

December 12 2017, 10:33 AM 

Not sure how you can call Fowler's opinion of him "ill informed" given he played with and against him for probably 15-20 years.
His "opinion" seems to be based mainly on the fact that he has an intense dislike for Boycott stemming back from their playing days.
It's a shame it has gone this way, not sure twitter spats are ever a good thing, and does Fowler no favours given all he has done for cricket and mental health in recent years.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 12 2017, 10:50 AM 

Foxy was not playing cricket in the 1974-77 period and if he played against Boycott for as long as you suggest then he’s older than he looks even with his beard.

Isn’t the reality that Boycott going on the rebel tour opened up the door for an opening berth with England that Fowler benefitted from?

And whilst I like Bumble as a mad keen cricketing geek I think anyone suggesting he was a better player than Boycott needs his eyes testing

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Proxy war

December 12 2017, 11:17 AM 

Geoffrey has often said that he leave the technology, email, facebook, twitter etc to either his wife or his daughter to look after. So any twitter war concerning him is just a proxy war which may represent his views, or not his views at all but the views of someone who loves him and is defending him from criticism.

I have no time for twitter, facebook etc but realise we all have to get through the days the best way we can.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

December 12 2017, 1:42 PM 

Point of order re; Fowler. he made his first class debut in 79 and test debut in 82, so overlap with Geoff was relatively limited.

I'm pro- Geoff, I think his input on TMS is very good. People may criticise him because he always thinks he's right, the weakness to that argument is that, invariably, he is right!!

Of the others, Swann I really struggle with, Vaughan is very good when he keeps to cricket, his weakness is becoming to laddish, Marks is excellent, McGrath is bland.

The original article mentions 'Abbeydale back' implying Geoff had a few strategic injuries when likely to face fast bowlers on difficult pitches. Check out the scorecard from approx 1984 -85 (certainly late in his career) v Surrey on a poor Abbeydale track when Tony Gray destroyed us and Geoff carried his bat. Others we're cowering away, someone, possibly dear old Phil Carrick lost his leg stump, he'd backed away that far he couldn't reach it. (Apologies to Phil, if the card shows him lbw Gray).

And before anyone says it, Geoff wasn't watching it all from the non-strikers end!

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

Boycott

December 12 2017, 3:33 PM 

With regard to Boycott's perceived aversion to extremely fast bowlers, such as the WI quartet of Roberts, Holding, Croft and Garner of the eighties, reminded me of a little conversation I had with him in a CCC match at Chesterfield (beautiful ground). In the mid eighties Michael Holding was bowling to Geoffrey on a very lively wicket and hit him on the forearm from one which reared. Can't remember whether he was trying to hook but do remember that he was right behind it as, indeed, he had been for every ball. I don't recall his backing away from any ball.
He had to retire and went for an x-ray of his suspected broken arm.
Subsequently, he returned, with his arm in a sling, accompanied by a friend who had driven him to the hospital and back.Geoffrey's friend happened to be my Tennis doubles partner so, I was able to have a chat with the two of them. The friend happened to say that it makes you wonder if it was worth Geoffrey carrying on with his career. The look he got from Geoffrey, accompanied by, "Are you mad?" and ,"This is part of the game and, yes, as a batsman facing bowling like this, you have to expect some injuries, and apprehension is to be expected but not fear."
Boycott , also, faced Holding, (or was it Marshall?) , in a test where he was beaten 6 times out of six but never backed away once- maybe swayed expertly out of the way- but never in retreat.This over is almost shown as often as the Atherton versus Alan Donald one.
I suspect the stories of conveniently missing this match , or that, and 'Abbeydale Back' are made up to have a friendly jibe at Boycott's expense.
Is there any statistical evidence to prove this or any first hand evidence? Not saying there isn't and if there is it would be interesting. I watched most matches at Abbeydale (and a lot at Bramall Lane before that) and cannot recall any game where Geoffrey was expected to play and then went down with some injury or other.As I said, probably, all adds to the legend.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 12 2017, 5:59 PM 

Facing Hall and Griffith in the 60s without a helmet and a different no Ball rule with one supposedly a chucker.....

Let’s see how many of the batsmen of the 80s and 90s could handle that. And even when boycott walked away from England every county had two overseas quicks to face

(Login dpressed)

December 12 2017, 8:32 PM 

Sorry Sid but if you are talking about Tony Gray at Abbeydale. Gray took a hatrick & 4 in 5. The first wicket was off the last ball of an over with the start of his next over being WW.W Where was Boycott? Yes up the other end.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

December 13 2017, 6:55 AM 

It's hard to get to the "danger" end when the blokes done there can't get a single or put bat on ball to rotate the strike....

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

December 13 2017, 9:58 AM 

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk