<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Yorkshire desperate to right the wrongs of 2017!

December 26 2017 at 8:06 PM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner
from IP address 24.138.79.74

"ANDREW GALE has sent an early New Year message to Yorkshire’s supporters, insisting that the club are desperate to right the wrongs of 2017." - Yorkshire Post

Chris Waters
""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

Re: Yorkshire desperate to right the wrongs of 2017!

December 27 2017, 4:00 AM 

Well, if the club doesn't right those wrongs then it's Division 2 cricket come 2019.

It's all good and well being honest and players having improved fitness levels during pre-season, but how well has the club planned going ahead of the 2018 season? Particularly when there is a lack of depth in the top six batting, which doesn't seem to be acknowledged in this article.

Yorkshire lost some games because team selection had fewer batsmen and more bowlers, players were not replaced like for like and this put unnecessary pressure on out of form batsmen. This is where management have made mistakes there and can only be rectified if there is one more senior batsman in the team as cover for Ballance, along with an overseas bat.

Given how the international fixtures have worked out, Yorkshire should be stronger overall for the County Championship campaign by seeing Willey, Plunkett and Rashid more often. They are likely to be unavailable for three CC matches in June. If Ballance is going to be unavailable it will likely be in August/early September for four matches and maybe the season opener.

I would like to think Yorkshire can challenge at the right end for honours, but it's how the club deals with setbacks and having the appropriate personnel to replace players on international duty. Jason Gillespie did this well when we lost half a team to an England tour of West Indies, whereas too many excuses were made last season.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

December 29 2017, 11:05 AM 

Piece in the cricket paper today from Alex Lees saying he's looking forward to the season.Admitted that the batting was woeful and the bowling not much better last year and said he found himself not in a good head space after being in and out of the side and finding it difficult to deal with
Made a conscious decision to stay at home this winter to refresh himself until Yorkshire go to South Africa in March. Been in the nets since November tweaking a couple of things with his hands
Ends by saying Yorkshire players are under more pressure after going from a successful Trophy winning side to battling relegation last season but it's something they have to deal with to drive them forward

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

December 29 2017, 11:27 AM 

That sounds encouragingly mature Egham (Alex, not you, you're always mature, obviously). Last year Alex Lees was my biggest uncertainty. Clearly he ought to be an asset for another 10 years plus. On the other hand there have been moments when his body language etc. have looked absolutely dreadful. In retrospect giving him the one day captaincy was a damaging mistake I fear. Among other things it soured his relations with Andrew Gale.

If he has put his problems behind him, then that will be a big plus. I genuinely feared things might have become so bad that we were looking at an agreed exit, Shahzad style.

Maybe a good idea to take the winter off. At some point however, I'd like him to have a remedial course in how to play spin bowling. Not that anyone else in the Championship is an awful lot better these days.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

December 29 2017, 3:09 PM 

It will be interesting what they do with Lees. He was moved to 3 which I was in favour of as it slightly took him out of the firing line and also broke up the unsuccessful left handed partnership with Lyth. With Williamson returning, I presume Lees will open again.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

December 29 2017, 3:54 PM 

Kane is only here for 7 weeks, so Alex could be at 3 for most of the season.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

December 30 2017, 10:07 AM 

,,,and it's only last season that the left-handed opening partnership could be labelled 'unsuccessful' - I think? Perhaps showing signs of struggling in 2016, can't be bothered to check the figures, but overall the Lyth/Lees pairing must be one of Yorkshire's most successful.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

oversea players

December 31 2017, 12:34 PM 

When it was announced Kane Williamson was our overseas player for the back end of the year, Martin Moxon said they would know in about a week who the other player was but nothing are they trying to find someone to fill as a stop gap?

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

December 31 2017, 12:48 PM 

Instead of stating the obvious aspiration of the Club and its dedicated supporters, we should be hearing about what the plans are for achieving improvement and success in all three 2018 competitions. So far, predictable and uninspiring meaningless words 🙁

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

December 31 2017, 2:17 PM 

Yes, just the usual clichés unfortunately. No surprises though.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk