<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Crane for England. Why?

January 3 2018 at 7:29 PM

Dpressed  (Login dpressed)

Chris Waters has written an article abourt Crane being picked for England whilst Adil is left at home. Why?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/more-sport/chris-waters-the-ashes-in-a-spin-over-treatment-of-adil-rashid-1-8937032

I'll put my 2ps worth in.

Adil can be brilliant, yet he's also bowled some of the worst filth I've ever seen. BUT Dilly is a wicket taker, even when its not going right. As an example (not first class) in a 50 over match last summer Rashid bowled beautifully, apart from one truely awful delivery, which got a wicket!!

To me his England problem is twofold.

Firstly Yorkshire have used Rashid as an attacking bowler so provided he takes wickets they are happy(ish). England usually think of their spin bowler as someone to bring on to give the pace bowlers a rest. The spinner may take wickets but his main job is to keep the runs down. This isn't Adil.

Secondly Rashid just doesn't fit in with Team England. It was Shahzad who pointed out that due to his upbringing Adil isn't (& I'm paraphrasing here) 'one of the boys'. This isn't a criticism, everyone if affected by their upbringing. But in recent years England have made a big thing about being together. Again, this isn't Adil.

I still think England are wrong. With the right treatment Rashid could/should have been a wicket taking England regular. Long may he keep taking wickets for Yorkshire ... whilst 'the faithful' moan at bad balls. The last 2 seasons should have shown everyone that 'Dilly' is the only player for who we don't have a replacement in First Class cricket ... as Rafiq is a one day bowler & Carver isn't ready (will he ever be?)

PS Yes I was there in 2006. And a question. Why was Rashid in the team for that match?

This message has been edited by dpressed on Jan 3, 2018 7:33 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Crane for England. Why?

January 3 2018, 7:46 PM 

Wasn't he picked as a batsman in 2006 because Lehmann was missing?

Anyway, one thing in Crane's favour: he played for New South Wales last winter and by all accounts bowled well. This isn't exactly unknown territory for him and It'll be fascinating to see how he goes on what could be a helpful pitch.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

January 3 2018, 8:34 PM 

From what I gather, they feel Leach doesn't fit with the mould either. Speaking from personal experience, having come through a long and painful job search just over a year ago, this follows a similar pattern to the wider world outside cricket, where "fit" seems to be the no.1 criteria for all recruiters, over ability and credentials. No doubt someone will step in and tell me why this has to be the case for them and their business or department, but us "quiet ones" have a lot to offer too!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 3 2018, 8:55 PM 

I agree with Dpressed's analysis - much more than 2p worth! Oddly, I also remember Shahzad making that remark; it stuck with me as obviously it has with Dpressed.

Yorkshire always had Patto to keep it tight. The fact that Bresnan (and also Rashid) could bat allowed us to play four seamers + the attacking, match-winning Adil, and the formula yielded us two Championships and a couple of near misses.

And yes, I still want us to sign a spinner overseas for 2018. And if he's an 18-year-old Afghan, so much the better. Perhaps available August/September? But we don't know if Adil is going to be absent on ODI duty, and with a situation like that how is a county club supposed to plan ahead?

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

January 3 2018, 8:58 PM 

According to the written word of Dave Morton, and who would doubt that, on arrival at Scarborough Adil was asked by Craig White, “Do you bowl at all?” I desperately hope that’s true.

Though I love Adil’s cricket almost as much as I did before the Lord’s episode I don’t think he’s a test bowler. If I was even considering Crane however I’d have Adil on the next available plane. And the ECB need to look at what they have created. They’ve picked a bowler who can’t get in his county side for half the season because of their ridiculous scheduling. He’s played 29 first class matches. I hope I’m wrong but the most likely outcome is something along the lines of the Kerrigan fiasco.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

January 3 2018, 9:27 PM 

A bowling average of nearly 44 doesn't inspire much confidence. A classic way of destroying a potentially good player before he gets going.

///

A great choice by an inspired set of selectors. Some cheer from this series at last.

(One of these to be deleted later in light of events later tonight).

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

January 3 2018, 11:17 PM 

"And yes, I still want us to sign a spinner overseas for 2018. And if he's an 18-year-old Afghan, so much the better. Perhaps available August/September? But we don't know if Adil is going to be absent on ODI duty, and with a situation like that how is a county club supposed to plan ahead?"

Since England are playing tests against India during August/September, Yorkshire will likely to have all thrèe spinners available at their disposal.

I expect an overseas signing towards the business end to be a batsman, in the event of Ballance playing test cricket as well as replacing Williamson. Glenn Maxwell, currntly omitted from Australia's ODI squad may well be a suitable candidate for Yorkshire in terms of availability. His ability to bowl off spin is an added bonus and a dimension to a Yorkshire line up in any format.

This message has been edited by Pyrahtechnics on Jan 4, 2018 4:06 AM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

January 4 2018, 8:11 AM 

I don’t buy the not fitting in part as Moeen Ali is also a devout Muslim who doesn’t drink but has successfully integrated into the team.

I think with Adil it’s more his lack of control like Swann had that makes him unbowlable in some match situations. He seems very introverted and perhaps doesn’t respond well to some of the coaching given by England and like with opening bats some have been tried and discarded quickly.

I’m not sure Crane is the next best option though but he’s the only one there. Bess as an offie May be the better longer term option.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

January 4 2018, 9:42 AM 

Re Crane, I understand they like the cut of his jib.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

January 4 2018, 9:50 AM 

Islam is only one of the factors that make up Adil's complex personality, but it is one. I think cultural and family background are important components. Look at his batting. He plays shots which we tend to say come from growing up on the subcontinent's baked pitches, but in this case it's obviously that he grew up in Bradford in an environment where that style was admired. Unless we think that there's a specific gene for casually whipping a straight ball through mid wicket with your wrists? Shahzad, Ali and Rashid have some things in common, but are three different individuals. Just like three followers of any other creed really.

Whatever it is, Adil has a character which separates him from the typical English team sport player. At times it can make him look isolated, indifferent, depressed to us as observers. Maybe folk from his own cultural background would see it differently. He certainly hit it off quickly with Moeen, even though to some extent they are in competition.

Fascinating, frustrating, wonderful cricketer. Not the answer to England's need for a Swann replacement who can both bowl tight and at other times attack - and get top order test batsmen out, however.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

January 4 2018, 10:15 AM 

'Re Crane, I understand they like the cut of his jib'

Lifts the load on the other bowlers too?

This message has been edited by legglance on Jan 4, 2018 10:32 AM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 4 2018, 10:34 AM 

Idle Man: how do you see Monty Panesar fitting into this Asian scenario? - Different religion of course, he being a Sikh.

And Hashim Amla? Better integrated? Though he was seen as a 'quota' selection when he first appeared, which must have made it doubly difficult.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

January 4 2018, 12:36 PM 

I don't know DM. Monty looked very integrated didn't he, for a time? He had a different educational experience - independent schooling for the sixth form - from Rashid, and you're right, Sikhism is different. Then of course Monty turned out to have his own problems, and in the various analyses which they provoked, it was alleged he had been given quite a rough time at Northants, appallingly by some of the South Africans.

Amla looks very at home, but the whole S African scene is so different, I wouldn't like to comment.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 4 2018, 5:09 PM 

There are complex problems involving religion and race, not just in cricket but in society. I listened to the Australian PM give a short interview on TV during which he FOUR TIMES referred to Australia as the most successful multi-racial society on the planet...which rather suggests he's not sure!

I thought we, in Britain, were getting there. I taught at an inner-city comprehensive and, if you shut your eyes, you could not tell from their voices the white Mancunians from the second-generation Muslims or the Chinese. That was 25 years ago, but now (Adil and Moeen included) they talk with a distinctive accent, which seems a deliberate choice, a badge of identity.

Anyone involved in local rugby or cricket must have encountered white South Africans. I know I'm generalising, but many of them seem to me to be openly and savagely racist, so I'm not surprised if Monty was subject to attacks at Northants, given the number of Kolpaks there at that time.

Even in South Africa... In Joburg, at the game in which Root made a brilliant hundred and then Broad skittled them out, the Crictours party had use of a box at the ground, but not sole use, and I got to talking with a (white) South African who had played league cricket as a pro up our way. He was good to talk to, until the subject of Bavuma came up, when he expressed rage that this black %£$& was taking the rightful place of a white man in the team, no ability whatsoever, purely political selection, etc.

At the time, De Villiers was in a run of three successive ducks and, to me, Bavuma looked as good as any of them. He went on to score a ton in the next Test, when the other black player (Rabada) bowled S Africa to a win. No doubt it was all a conspiracy, in which England were involved. When people hate, truth and logic are always the losers.

This autumn England play in Sri Lanka, a country where the elected government carried out genocide against a Muslim minority. We refused to go to Mugabe's Zimbabwe, rightly in my opinion; is the massacre of 70,000 Tamil civilians less than what he did?

AndyNowhere
(Login AndyNowhere)

January 4 2018, 9:34 PM 

I have the feeling that the England plan - such as it has been - was to have bowlers bowl dry and let batsmen make mistakes or Jimmy pick up a shed load. Once Jimmy started getting among them, then the pressure was one to score off the other bowlers and voila. Adil does not and could not fit this profile. (Liam was the same, I think maybe Wood and J.Overton maybe also guilty of being unsuitable.)

The problem has then been that if Jimmy can't take wickets (or threaten to) there is no opportunity of winning games. This has been the problem overseas and will become a bigger problem as he ages/retires. At the moment an attack without him is unthinkable.

Of course I reckon without the foresight of the ECB who are imminently going to show why taming all the bowlers into Jimmy's support act was a good plan. Either we build an attack where all are likely to take wickets or we find another attack bowler of the highest quality.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 5 2018, 9:57 AM 

I think Crane has at least answered the question posed at the top of the thread; early days, but he does appear good enough. Also, composed and self-confident, and his fielding has made a difference.

The fears that he would prove another Kerrigan were unfounded. That could be tomorrow! But probably not.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

January 5 2018, 10:19 AM 

From what I saw he looked fine. He doesn't rip it as much as Rashid, but has perhaps more control and confidence.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk