<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Clutching at straws

January 9 2018, 10:04 AM 

I think we were very soundly beaten but held together as a team, perhaps fraying at the edges at bit, especially during the final test.

No doubt there are two ways you can look at Anderson's performance, but whatever way you look at it I think 2018 will almost certainly spell the end of his England career.

It will be interesting to see what team is picked for the New Zealand tour.

Doubt there will be too many changes. Vince might be the only batting casualty.

They might even resurrect Adil Rashid's test career, stranger things have happened.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: 5th Ashes Test l Australia vs England at Sydney (Match thread)

January 9 2018, 2:15 PM 

Sadly my father passed away during the final test around the middle of the fourth days play in Sydney. I suspect he chose to give up the fight in order to avoid having to hear about the final outcome having heard enough from the previous four tests. I hope he went with happier memories from the 1975, 1977, 1981 and 2001 Ashes games we watched together at Headingley although the first one was abandoned on the final day by the George Davis protesters, the second was Boycotts 100th century, 81 was Bothams century and Willis 8-43 which we missed by not going for the last day and the last one was probably less memorable to most but will last with me for a lifetime as I achieved a bucket list entry by taking both my Dad and son to an Ashes year together.

Dad once attended Yorkshire nets in the late 1940s just after the war and I’ve often wondered who the other seam bowlers who were there at the same time went on to bigger and better things. Fred would have been two years younger and Closey May have been nearer in age but a child prodigy who would already be in the first team.

I hope they play cricket in heaven to keep him happy and he can get choice of ends...:

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

January 9 2018, 5:00 PM 

Good to see 2018 has started off where previous years have finished........with criticism which bear nothing to do with what's actually happened.

Anderson, who's just bowled more overs in a series than ever before, indeed, only two quick bowlers this century have bowled more in a series, been seen as "going through the motions".

"No doubt there are two ways you can look at Anderson's performance, but whatever way you look at it I think 2018 will almost certainly spell the end of his England career." What is this assumption based on please? He's already stated his desire to continue until 2019.

and the same James Anderson who took 55 wickets at 17 last year being chastised for not taking a "hatful of wickets".

Excellent.....

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Heaven only knows!

January 9 2018, 6:28 PM 

Sorry for your loss thirdump. I Like the idea of heaven, and if I too can get a second chance at cricket there then so much the better.

Always a pleasure to rattle your cage EYT. My thinking is along these lines.

Anderson was the best of a bad lot in Australia, difficult to score against but hardly threatening. I don't think he was just going through the motions, more like he was in cruise control.

I think he will do a another good job for England, in England, against Pakistan and India but I think it would be useless to pick him for the Tour of Sri Lanka.

He will be 36 and he isn't the same bowler when conditions don't suit him. I also hope to see the likes of TRJ, Chris Woakes, Jamie Overton and Tom Curran gently ease Anderson towards the exit.

If he does carry on until 2019 then unfortunately that will mean our bowling resources are at a low ebb.

(Login AndyNowhere)

January 9 2018, 7:08 PM 

EastYorksTyke, I don't think I was over the top in my views on Anderson.

17 in 5 tests would not fill the smallest hat and my point (rather than to hammer Anderson) is that nobody else looks like taking them. So yeah, if Jimmy isn't going to get them, we do need someone who is. Also at some point soon that is likely to become a pressing concern. If he stayed on to beat McGrath's record I would be delighted.

I certainly think he has been the pick of the bowlers but that has been a pretty low bar.

Anyway, hope that clarifies.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

January 9 2018, 7:08 PM 

At least we have something to look forward to in 2018. It will be one year less on Bayliss's contract which ends in September 2019.

I would pay him off now and look for someone with more interest in English cricket, including the county game.

Does anyone see any point in him continuing apart from the fact that there will be some cost in paying him off and recruiting someone else?

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk