<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

TMS this winter

January 10 2018 at 11:48 AM
sid  (Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

I love TMS. This winter its played away all night as I've dipped in and out of sleep and the commentary. Its the best way to follow the series. The hour long highlights played the following day on Sports extra has also been really good.

I think the team have had a reasonable rather than great series. Some winners and some losers.

The absence of Agnew for the final three tests, when he returned home (although I think this was always the agreement due to his wife's illness) was a blow. Tuffnel I thought was excellent when summarising the first two tests but disappeared after that and again I think the team suffered for his absence. Ed Smith grew on me. Vaughan stayed away from the ladishness I dislike and concentrated on analysing the cricket where he can be very insightful. Alison Mitchell was very good and deserved more time on air, Simon Mann was solid although without the all round skills to fill in for the absent Agnew. Vic Marks I continue to like but he was perhaps a little over shadowed by bigger personalities. Jim Maxwell was solid. All the above are in credit at the end of the series.

We've discussed Geoff B before, enough to say I like him a lot and the team is much better with him on board.

Negatives: Swan I find irritating and Ebony RB was embarrassingly poor. Glen McGrath seemed unclear about his role, and to often attempted to be the Aussie pantomime villain, unfortunately he came across a little humourless.

Andrew Samson on stats is unparalleled.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: TMS this winter

January 10 2018, 12:08 PM 

I agree with most of that.

Ed Smith was excellent, and Michael Vaughan did indeed stay away from the banter, at which he is useless, and concentrated largely on the cricket, at which he is - obviously - an expert.

The increasingly mellow Boycott was the star turn; and I like Swann, too, who is naturally funny, a great mimic, and wonderful on the subject of spin bowling.

How will history judge Swann's off-spin? Up with Laker and ahead of Illingworth, I would suggest; far better than Emburey and all the others since.

Top 10 English spin bowlers since the war? Any views?

marsker
(Login marskeman)

January 10 2018, 12:21 PM 

i would much rather watch the action than listen, i watch live for the first hour or two, then record the full programme and watch in the morning. i like to fast forward through between overs and delays and breaks. the BT coverage has been good with boycott vaughan and swann and hussey and slater for australia. the only commentary i ca,nt get on with is damien fleming cliche ridden drivel and alison mitchell, just states the obvious everyone can see for themselves.

(Login matthefish2002)

January 10 2018, 1:13 PM 

I was impressed by I think his name is Henry Moeran who did the 15 minutes summing up at the end of play of the talking points.
Was saying how Test Cricket needs the Ashes to succeed but was far from a classic series.

The stats Andrew Samson comes out with sometimes are quite remarkable. First 50 in 20 years not to include a boundary that sort of thing.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

January 10 2018, 2:13 PM 

Top ten spinners?

The shoe-ins: Laker, Wardle, Appleyard. I know I have a thing about Appleyard, but he's too often forgotten. When he and Laker were both fully fit, during Appleyard's great years, we usually picked Appleyard. I think Swann is the next best after those.

Lock I suppose, with question marks over a visibly illegal action. Are we counting Underwood as a spinner? That's what he was selected as.

Then there's the cluster of late fifties, sixties off-spinners, Allen, Titmus, Illingworth. Mortimore not as good? Of the three, Raymond was, I suspect, the least good bowler, but what he brought in other respects outweighs any other contender. I'd always want his brain on the field if possible, and he's the best batsman of them all.

Three more moderns: Emburey, Edmonds, Tufnell. Already standards are slipping, aren't they? Then nothing really except the excellent Swann.

So: Appleyard, Wardle, Laker, Lock, Allen, Titmus, Illingworth, Underwood, Tufnell, Swann.

And who the hell now?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Too hard

January 10 2018, 7:45 PM 

Too hard picking the top 10 spinners so I'll stick with TMS.

On the commentators side I like Ed Smith and Dan Norcross who seem able to convey how much cricket means to them.

Ali Mitchell and Simon Mann do a decent job but I feel they've been shunted into cricket, not necessarily out of choice.

Jim Maxwell sounds like he's very close to retirement and is looking forward to it.

On the summarisers side I missed Tuffers when he left, Vic Marks is good and Geoffrey is what he is.

Swann is funny but his humour is often snide and at someone else's expense, he's also far too fond of making himself the hero of his own anecdotes.

Ebony Rainford-Brent should stick to T20.

Michael Vaughan was on his best behaviour, but he still changes his opinion twice a day and three times on Sundays.

Glen McGrath was a waste of licence fee payers money.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 11 2018, 8:50 AM 

Idle Man - agree with your list, except for the omission of Panesar. I'd bracket him with Tufnell, better than David Allen and Titmus.

It's difficult to assess Lock. Lock-the-chucker was a match winner; the reformed Lock was still a good bowler. Wardle is clearly class-leader of the SLA, then Lock, Underwood, Panesar, Tufnell, in any order, with Edmonds in there, too, not far behind. Interesting that England often selected Gifford ahead of Underwood; crap selections are not just a modern trend, then.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

January 11 2018, 8:51 AM 

Anyone else having problems posting on WRF? I wrote a long reply yesterday only to be told to log in, which I did, but my message had been deleted. Then I couldn't access the site at all.

This message has been edited by DaveMorton on Jan 11, 2018 8:53 AM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

January 11 2018, 9:50 AM 

I have to log in fresh every day now, but never had to previously, but ok apart from that.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Posting

January 11 2018, 12:21 PM 

The forum does appear to be on a go slow, at least on my computer.

I've lost a few long posts when it seems to log me off and I need to sign in again.

Changing from one thread to another the system often seems to be left 'waiting for a response' for much longer than normal.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

January 11 2018, 3:13 PM 

Yes, DM, I’d forgotten poor old Monty, who is worth considering. I think I’d still put him behind the other SLA bowlers. He never seemed to me to turn it much, though he got a lot of batsmen who expected him to out with the arm ball.

We shouldn’t take batting and fielding into account but Monty and Tuffers would be in contention for the worst of modern times.

(Login dpressed)

January 11 2018, 5:27 PM 

Yes to DMs question on the forum. It's slow & I lost a post after being told to log on

(Login dpressed)

January 11 2018, 5:27 PM 

Yes to DMs question on the forum. It's slow & I lost a post after being told to log on

(Login ThirdUmpire)

January 12 2018, 11:40 AM 

Yes I've given up waiting several times over and by time it's moved on I've forgotten what I wanted to say....

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

"lavly"

January 13 2018, 12:28 PM 

Just listening to the review of the Sydney Test on BT sport. Bocys on comms. He pronounces "lovely" as "lavly" rather than "luvly". He momentarily sounds like Del Boy saying Lovely jubbly! Is this an affectation? Has he been spending too much time away from God's own county? Whatever it is, it is very curious!

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

January 13 2018, 3:56 PM 

Edmonds has been mentioned in despatches but not elevated to the top ten. I’d have him there without hesitation.

The TMS commentary has been disappointing this Winter. The loss of Agnew is the equivalent of a book losing its spine. (I wish his wife a full recovery.) Much of the commentary has been anonymous; the expert summarising much better. I agree with the view that the recent manifestation of Vaughan has been a huge improvement. I find Dan Norcross almost unbearable. In that I’m in a minority. In general, the ladies who have commentated in recent months have been a refreshing addition to the roster. My current favourite is Simon Mann.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

Anderson on commentary today

January 19 2018, 11:15 AM 

Interesting that he has chosen to stay in Australia to do some commentary rather than nipping home for a break. Maybe starting think about his post-cricketing career in the commentary box?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

January 19 2018, 12:04 PM 

Can they coincide the ODI games with when Pietersen has a Big Bash game so he can't commentate?

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

January 19 2018, 2:19 PM 

Dagnell let himself down today with his suggestion that people should cheat by using foreign coins in slot machines. Would imagine he'll get his knuckles rapped for that.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Anderson

January 19 2018, 6:22 PM 

Think he's a natural on radio.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk