Crosman999's Sheridan

Return to Index  

Two steps forward...

January 10 2011 at 6:39 PM

Jim Crawford  (Login BlueMeanies)
Crosman Forum Member
from IP address 99.95.47.224

one step back.

Well, in my amazing cough prowess as an uh ahem "expert" machinist, with one fell plunge of the quill on my El Cheapo Taiwanese Bridgeport clone mill, I afforded myself the opportunity to refine, redesign, and remake the breech on the PCP project.

I found that the aluminum pedestal in the auto loader was garfing up the pellets as well as causing excessive friction. I made an insert to hold the cylinder out of Delrin. The tolerances are much better this time around so in the end the extra work will pay off. There's still quite a bit of work left to do on the breech.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Oh, and the reason there is a 1/2" piece bolted to the back of the breech? I had a moment of subconscious spontaneous creative brilliance that bored the barrel hole a 1/2" too deep. A long breech will look cool on this rifle anyway. DOH!

My hat's off to those in Crosman land and beyond that can take a block of metal, clamp it in a mill vise, and with a hand mill create a work of art. It's so much harder than it looks.

But all this practice is teaching me a great deal about machining. The next project will be that much nicer. Phil, I'm watchin' that big bore pumper. Ya got me thinkin'...

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Crosman Corporation 1-800-724-7486