logo by smgunner

Crosman999's Sheridan

Return to Index  

I can relate to that....

December 3 2011 at 11:09 PM

(Login Stealth_Warrior)
Crosman Forum Member
from IP address 99.123.223.168

Response to It's a popular prejudice that "metal" is better and more expensive than "plastic"

For many years I thought that PCP air tubes were made out of steel only because I couldn't imagine aluminum would hold up to the high pressures that they use. However after reading the various machining articles on Mr. Quackenbush's site I've learned that quiet a few mftrs use alum for that purpose and it works just fine. Is the manufacturing of plastics more plastics more complex than steel to make the price rise? I'm still learning that steel isn't always the best material for some of the parts I've been making. Prime example is I made a LDC adapter to screw into my Marauder shroud, after comparing it to a similar adapter made of alum it made more sense that I should just use aluminum for future projects as the reduction in weight was drastic. Also alum is cheaper, easier to machine, easier on my tool bits and just as effective as my steel counterpart. Although I have to admit my steel adapter looks pretty nice after a bath is some hot caustic bluing salts happy.gif. Thanks again for the insight Steve. Out of the plastics is there one you prefer to use over the other for general use?

Derek

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Crosman Corporation 1-800-724-7486