12" .22 Caliber Barrel from Doomsday Backpacker
Brian & Assoc. Alluminum Breech with 2 barrel screws
Original site rear
Pin site on Custom Mt. Airguns Muzzle Break
2x1 Centerpoint Scope with UTG dovetail adapters
Mountain Airguns Custom Bolt and Handle
Mountain Airguns Custom Power Adapter and spring guide
B&A Boss Valve for extra Power

Built mainly for fun and to shoot at local Field Trial Pistol Match.

It currently it shoots a 14.3 Crosman Hunting Pellet at about 530 fps in a 72 degree room for 8.92 FPE.

Return to Index  

Primer and springs

February 20 2012 at 4:41 PM
Shotgun100  (Login Shotgun100)
Crosman Forum Member
from IP address 94.71.142.237

Response to Hammer bounce in true hammer actions?

Shotgun primers probably require less force to actuate than a valve stem. But, shotgun hammer springs are diabolically overpowered. It only takes a comparison between a traditional V spring and a modern coil spring powering the hammer of self loading shotgun to appreciate the range in spring power available.

The Giffard had an external hammer. The design was abandoned and I wonder why. Complexity could not have been the issue, the system only has four parts, hammer, spring, guide with rebound prongs (if a coil is used) and sear. If a V spring is used there is no need for a guide, the spring itself provides the rebound arm for the hammer.

A friend owns a Giffard rifle. I will have to pressure him into letting me take a close look.

Respond to this message   

Crosman Corporation 1-800-724-7486
This forum is not affiliated with the Crosman Corporation in any way// Information presented in this forum is intended for informational purposes only; use at your own risk//Posts made to this forum are soley the opinion of the individual member