logo by smgunner

Dean's HiPac 2240

Tactical Trijicon ACOG TA01 Style 4x32 Cross Sight Rifle Scope + Kill Flash
TROBB Solid Aluminium Dovetail Power Block with Gmac hollow probe and G-mac Bolt
Gmac Brass Power Adjuster Spring And Guide/Drilled Out Standard Valve For more air space
Hammer Mods//Gmac 30% Lighter valve Spring/Gmac Brass Safety Catch//Transfer port drilled out
Full Gmac Trigger kit/Gmac barrel cut to 9inch/Weihrauch Silencer/Custom Home Made Grips/
New TRACER LEDRAY GL2 LAMP 90m Range Beam//HI-Pac

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

pellet molds

June 13 2008 at 11:16 AM
  (Login airiflesniper)
from IP address 72.49.47.48

can anyone tell me where to get a mold for some .22 pellets

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login brainshot)

You shouldn't try making your own pellets.

June 13 2008, 11:50 AM 

There are a lot of safety issues when messing with lead. Also it takes a lot of time to perfect the skill of molding pellets. In my opinion purchasing pellets is the best way to go.

Respond to this message   

(Login Modoc_ED)
Crosman Forum Member

But what about the thousands

June 13 2008, 3:25 PM 

of us that have been casting our lead bullets for eons????? Casting pellets is no more dangerous that casting bullets. Get a copy of Lyman's Lead Casting Book and use common sense and it is a snap to do (of course with a proper furnace and other proper equipment) and very pleasueable. All you need are a set of molds or even one mold and away you go.

Respond to this message   

brainshot
(Login brainshot)

I just think its easier to buy them than to make them.

June 13 2008, 4:00 PM 

The amount of time and energy spent making the pellets may not be worth it. It may also be really hard to get some good pellets out of the molds. He could spend countless hours working on a batch of pellets and only a few could come out well. But if he does decide to make his own he should probably try making round balls or bullet shaped pellets which would be far easier. He should also wear the proper equipment to prevent any lead from entering his body. Just be safe.

Respond to this message   

(Login Modoc_ED)
Crosman Forum Member

Oh, I'll grant you that making SMALL

June 13 2008, 4:36 PM 

pellets would be a pain in the patooti!!! Probably very tedious trying to handle such small molds and then trying to decap them etc.; HOWEVER, I know some old codgers that get great pleasure doing anything that has to do with casting.

My mani point was that the danger in casting is almost nill IF proper ventilation and other safety practices are followed.

I myself buy my pellets. I still do some bullet casting but mostly buy now-a-days. Back when I started casting (1950s) it was a must in some cases as that was the only way to get/make certain bullets for odd ball/uncommon cartridges.

Respond to this message   
Doug Owen
(Login DKOwen)
Crosman Forum Member

If you've cast that much, you know it's basically impossible......

June 13 2008, 5:44 PM 

A cast ten grain pure lead pellet without flaws would be a work of art.

Have you ever tired to cast .22 cal bullets? Even heavy ones with little surface like 60 grainers for gas checks are basically impossible without some Tin in the mix. You have to fight the low level of heat in that tiny charge of lead, decent fill out is hard to get. My best efforts with hard alloys were less than 50%. Most ended back up in the pot.

I too have the LEM mold for .22. IMO there's a reason it wasn't popular, basically you can't make useful pellets with 'em.

Doug Owen

Respond to this message   

CO222
(Login CO222)
Crosman Forum Member

I agree, it would be an exercise in futility

June 13 2008, 6:39 PM 

especially if new to casting. I do a fair bit of casting, I've made hundreds of
slugs for my .50 and .30 and it works out cheaper than off the shelf, plus
it's enjoyable. The .30's are a fair bit trickier to cast without flaws because
of their small size. Those are 155gr, so imagine what 10 times smaller might
be like. Even if you find a way to make a few succesfully, will they be as
accurate as regular 2c apiece swaged pellets?

Respond to this message   

(Login BlackHogDown)
Crosman Forum Member

LEM mold for sale??????

June 13 2008, 11:00 PM 

let me know if your tired of it collecting dust:)

Respond to this message   
wes
(Login liz873)
Crosman Forum Member

pellets

June 14 2008, 4:53 PM 

casting, yes is very difficult for small calibers but swaging your own pellets is easy. There are companies that sell presses and coiled lead wire specifically for use in air gun rifle bores. The lead wire is cut to length and inserted in the press, where the precise diameter and length bullet is formed. I agree it may not be cost effective, but you can make a variety of shapes to experiment with.

Respond to this message   

(Login BlackHogDown)
Crosman Forum Member

I want one too.....

June 13 2008, 12:43 PM 

but have had no luck finding one in th U.S. I have seen a few old ones out of country but that drives the price up quite a bit(shipping & weak dollar).They cast a heavy type bullet one at a time, not really a pellet since it has no skirt.I contacted one or two custom mold makers that refused to try it...The main problem with that was I couldn't make them understand that it was for a pellet gun but that I really didn't care if it had a skirt or not.Most suggested I try swagging a pellet but the equipment to start up is expensive.If you find a mold please let me know.

Respond to this message   

(Login gubb33ps)
Crosman Forum Member

Had a pair of LEM...

June 13 2008, 5:20 PM 

..molds (they were once marketed by Beeman). Odd little brass molds that didn't really work quite like any other mold. Would case a spitzer shaped pellet with a thin flange around the base....flange would engrave the rifling fully, the pellet body would ride on top of the lands. Heavy pellets. Had the .177 and the .22; believe at lest some .20's and .25's were made.

Never did shoot real well in most guns, but if they happened to match your bore well, could shoot well enough to be useful. Becasue of the design, worked best in guns that inserted the pellet into the bore (pre-engraving them)...bold type guns, like Benajmains or the old Sterling springers.
------
this was snached from one of the on-line Beeman's sourses:

CASTING PELLETS

Commercial production of pellets is primarily by swaging. The shape of the diabolo pellet does not lend itself well to casting, but it is possible to cast some unusually heavy, bullet shaped pellets using some pellet molds. Because of their bullet shape, such pellets have greater friction, but the special shape and extreme weight, and the capacity for being homemade, makes these pellets of special interest to the serious airgun hunter, experimenter, and survivalist. The McGuire pellet mold casts sharply pointed "Spitzer", hollow-base bullet-shape pellets. The .177” (4.5 mm) pellet from these molds weighs 14 grains (0.91 gms.) and the .22” (5.5 mm) pellet weighs 20 grains (1.3 gms.). The best material for casting is melted down pellet lead retrieved from a metal pellet trap. Caution: Melting down pellet lead retrieved from a "silent" pellet trap which utilizes putty or other material to trap the pellets should be done with great caution and only where there is a great deal of ventilation and a fire extinguisher handy. Firearm bullet lead generally has a bit too much tin, zinc, or antimony to be soft enough for airgun pellets, but such material can be mixed with pure lead to make it satisfactory for this purpose. Very light oiling of these bullet style pellets probably is advisable.

Respond to this message   

(Login BlackHogDown)
Crosman Forum Member

Thats the one LEM ...Don't suppose you still have them

June 13 2008, 10:57 PM 

I'd like to give them a try.I hear they are a pain to work with but I'm tempted any way.

Respond to this message   

(Login gubb33ps)
Crosman Forum Member

Gone...

June 14 2008, 7:10 AM 

....in some landfill; Katrina took it all.

Respond to this message   

(Login BlackHogDown)
Crosman Forum Member

Sorry to hear that......she was a bad one for sure

June 14 2008, 12:41 PM 

talked to quite a few folks that went through that mess,one of the shelters they set up was just two or three miles down the road.

Respond to this message   

(Login colt.45)

what about swaging?

June 15 2008, 12:08 PM 

there has got so be someone making a miniature pellet swager for home use. that seems attractive.

Respond to this message   
wes
(Login liz873)
Crosman Forum Member

swaging

June 17 2008, 11:28 AM 

There is a company I believe in CA that sells coiled lead wire in different calibers and preses with dies just for .22 cal air guns

Respond to this message   

(Login Pumpmeister)
Crosman Forum Member

Re:Swaging

June 23 2008, 8:13 PM 

That Company is Corbin Swaging & Supply In Oregon
www.swage.com They make a SWC style pellet swaging tool that uses the aforementioned lead wire(sold in 7000 Gr. spools in various Diameters. .220 Dia. would be bestfor pellets(.22Cal.)

Check it out...!

Pumpmeister

P.S. they also make a swage for dual diameter Pellets

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - pellet molds
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Crosman Corporation 1-800-724-7486