photo toplogo1_zps46807118.jpg

photo ef7e91f7-efed-4c80-9d93-6fb3d862a8cc_zps0bafaaa9.jpg

Barry McGee's Custom 2300

Cothrane stainless tube, left handed breech, power adjuster,
Lothar 10" barrel, H.P.A.sports co2 cap, Clague ldc,1701 trigger group,
Stace trigger, Rick Andres grips and a Mueller quick shot reflex sight.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Quest/Maccari E3650 spring power

July 26 2009 at 7:07 PM
Tony  (Login Doctone)
Crosman Forum Member
from IP address 67.16.220.16

Hello, I'm new to this board but not new to the sport of airguns. My Tarantula XL spring bought the farm this week, I think from detonation (I shouldn't of oiled the chamber). I thought a synthetic oil like RWS chamber lube would not diesel or cause detonation, I was wrong. I've herd that synthetic seals do not require this periodic maintenance but thought it would not harm anything. Anyways my spring broke and I'm going to try JM's E3650 spring with the Apex small seal I purchased back when I got the Tarantula XL spring. Gen or Charlie how would this compare with the Tarantula spring in power. Everything will be polished(spacer bearing surfaces, spring,cylinder,and tophat) and lubed were required. I will be adding at least one .100" spacer on the factory guide rod. The rifle should shoot a little tamer than with the Tarantula XL and shrink tube guide of my previous set up. I'm just concerned about the power, were as before I was able to reach out to 70yds with good accuracy on targeted pests with authority. I've got about .400" of possible spacing that can be added before coil bind. Has anyone crony-ed a Quest/B19 with this E3650 spring and seal tune?
[linked image]

[linked image]

Tony

This message has been edited by Doctone from IP address 67.16.220.16 on Jul 29, 2009 7:14 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tony
(Login Doctone)
Crosman Forum Member

Has anyone crony-ed a Quest/B19 with this E3650 spring and seal tune? nt

July 27 2009, 3:25 PM 

Respond to this message   

Garry
(Login spark22)
Crosman Forum Member

I did a full tune on mine

July 27 2009, 9:02 PM 

put a new gamo tesla seal and a e3650 spring and all the lubes and it was shooting on average 920fps with 8gr pellets.I will tell you that I have another that is tuned but with all stock parts and is just as good but the real question is which one will fail frist?

Respond to this message   
Tony
(Login Doctone)
Crosman Forum Member

Re: I did a full tune on mine

July 28 2009, 11:02 AM 

Yea, I'd bet the stock spring would fail first. Did you space the Maccari spring or use a thrust washer? I plan on at least one .100" stainless fitted washer on the guide rod to help with the torque of the spring. My stock spacer got beat up when the stock spring broke. I repaired with a bedding epoxy (Accra-Glass kit from Brownell's) but it did not set up properly the first time, and the Tarantula XL spring loosened it up a little when it gave up the ghost last week. I think the Accra-Glass was to old. This time I used a high strength epoxy, and re-bonded the stainless washer. With a additional washer acting as a bearing it should be slick as glass. I measured the Quest piston travel will allow a 4.6" coil bind spring, so additional .300" can be spaced to increase power maybe. 920 fps. is good though probably with less twang too.

[linked image]

Tony

This message has been edited by Doctone from IP address 67.16.220.16 on Jul 29, 2009 7:15 AM

Respond to this message   
Tony
(Login Doctone)
Crosman Forum Member

Re: I did a full tune on mine

March 8 2010, 5:19 PM 

Dead accurate springer out to 100 yds. Killed a crow at 50 yards this winter

Respond to this message   
Tony
(Login Doctone)
Crosman Forum Member

Quest/Maccri back in business

July 29 2009, 7:26 PM 

Got the spring today. That JM is a fast shipper. The E3650 was perfect, measured .520" ID with .120" wire. I used one stainless thrust washer .100" thick. Set the spring to 4.5" and installed it. It's shooting fine with full power, first two shots went super sonic, after settling in I'm hitting out to 70 yds again, didn't even have to reset the scope. She's got some kick but very little torque and no twang. Now I need a chrony.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Tony

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Crosman Corporation 1-800-724-7486