logo by smgunner

Dean's HiPac 2240

Tactical Trijicon ACOG TA01 Style 4x32 Cross Sight Rifle Scope + Kill Flash
TROBB Solid Aluminium Dovetail Power Block with Gmac hollow probe and G-mac Bolt
Gmac Brass Power Adjuster Spring And Guide/Drilled Out Standard Valve For more air space
Hammer Mods//Gmac 30% Lighter valve Spring/Gmac Brass Safety Catch//Transfer port drilled out
Full Gmac Trigger kit/Gmac barrel cut to 9inch/Weihrauch Silencer/Custom Home Made Grips/
New TRACER LEDRAY GL2 LAMP 90m Range Beam//HI-Pac

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1377 Factory Rear Sight To Steel Breech Mod

August 18 2011 at 11:16 PM
  (Login mafatone)
Crosman Forum Member
from IP address 69.141.52.59

I ordered the long steel breech fron Crosman #2240-SBPK kit. I forgot the forum mentioned that the factory rear sight from the plastic breech will not fit.I called Crosman and ordered the LPA MiM sight for $44.00 shipping included.Then I thought to myself,I could get another 1377 for $10.00 more!Called crosman and canceled the order 5 minutes later.How hard can it be to remove a section of metal 1/2" long x 1/8" high?I wrapped the breech in a towel to avoid scratches,clamped it with a "C" clamp and pulled out my cutting wheel and proceeded to cut off the BULK metal of the rear dovetail section on the steel breech.You probably could use a bench grinder but I recommend the cut off wheel because it's thinner and more precise.Remember to leave a small piece in the rear of the breech as the sight has to sit in a "U" shaped form.Pulled out the coarse file and i went to town.Then i used a small ignition points file to finish it off nice and smooth.Take your time and don't go crazy with the power tools or else you'll have grooves or take off too much.Nice,slow and inspect often.I opted to tape and paint the bare metal to avoid rust.I didn't even spend money on paint as I had a used can lying around.It's going to covered by the rear sight anyway so any black paint will do if you don't have any gun blue.I baked it in the oven for 2 hours @ 140 degrees because it's real humid here in New Jermany and it would take forever to dry.If the glue sticks from the tape to the breech,just use "Goo Be Gone" and it will shine up nicely.REMEMBER TO REMOVE ALL METAL SHAVINGS from the breech or else you'll tear up you gun in a short time.I have not installed it yet as I am waitng for a 14.5" .22 barrel,barrel band,barrel band set screw,fiber optic front sight and a transfer port front seal to arrive.I did the "squeeze the sear spring mod" 1/8",polished the sear,trigger, and lightly greased the two components.A huge improvement in trigger pull.It's nice to have the LPA or Williams rear sights but there's nothing wrong with using the factory rear sight and saving a ton of cash.It works fine if you're not Ray Charles.I couldn't imagine shelling out hundreds of dollars on mods and then sticking a nail in the front sight because some of the other aftermarket rear sights sit too high like i've seen posted here.Even with just a hand file.YOU CAN DO THIS!It may take an hour or two and a few beers but YOU CAN DO THIS!Save that money for a power piston and valve mod.I am a noob to this forum but not a noob in the firearms world as i have been shooting for 43 years.I would like to thank all of the posters on this forum for all their tips,tricks and knowledge and for letting me join this wonderful forum.Without it, I could not have gathered the information to convert my PC77 to a .22. Happy Shooting.. [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

This message has been edited by mafatone from IP address 69.141.52.59 on Aug 18, 2011 11:36 PM
This message has been edited by mafatone from IP address 69.141.52.59 on Aug 18, 2011 11:32 PM
This message has been edited by mafatone from IP address 69.141.52.59 on Aug 18, 2011 11:31 PM
This message has been edited by mafatone from IP address 69.141.52.59 on Aug 18, 2011 11:29 PM
This message has been edited by mafatone from IP address 69.141.52.59 on Aug 18, 2011 11:27 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

mav
(Login mav72)
Crosman Forum Member

Welcome to the forum...

August 18 2011, 11:53 PM 

Nice Job! I've got a couple of breeches coming soon but I'm not brave enough to do what you just did unless I had 4 extra... I've always wondered why Crosman just didn't make the breech to fit the stock sights... I may go a different route on my "Stockish" Phase 2 and get one of those older style Williams blade sights... I don't know which way to go on my modded up Phase 3 or how I'm going to do the front and rear sights...

So, welcome again and good job!

Respond to this message   

Johnnie Paul
(Login DRAGON-64)
Crosman Forum Member

Re: Welcome to the forum...

August 24 2011, 1:16 PM 

I always disliked the plastic toy sight.  I knew that when I made the change to a Crosman steel breech, I was going to add an optic (red dot or similar quick acquisition sight), or the Williams blade sight.  In the end, I opted for the Williams fully adjustanle blade sight... it will compliment my Bluefork barrel band with fiber optic front blade sight quite nicely.

Respond to this message   

airgunandy
(Login airgunandy)
Crosman Forum Member

Re: 1377 Factory Rear Sight To Steel Breech Mod

August 19 2011, 5:14 AM 

Another posibility is a rifle rear sight that is made to attach to the scope dovetail rails.

I plink, therefore I am.

Respond to this message   

mav
(Login mav72)
Crosman Forum Member

Yea..

August 19 2011, 6:41 AM 

Those are the ones... Sort of like the Williams blade rifle sights that they used to put on the Model 1s...

Respond to this message   
Bob in WV
(Login duhuh)
Crosman Forum Member

Looks good and makes sense too!

August 19 2011, 6:54 AM 

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

Bob in WV

Never get in a hurry, it only slows you down.

Respond to this message   

(Login mafatone)
Crosman Forum Member

Yeah you could use a rifle sight...........

August 19 2011, 8:54 AM 

But this is free!! And free is good because money is expensive. LOL

Respond to this message   

(Login airgunandy)
Crosman Forum Member

Yep!

August 19 2011, 9:58 AM 

Yessir, I agree, money is expensive! I like free stuff too. Good job with the "machining" to fit the original sight.

I still use the plastic receivers on all my 1377's. I'm too cheap to buy steel ones! I just thought of the rifle sights because I had a couple laying around.

I plink, therefore I am.

Respond to this message   
Glen
(Login pabirdman)
Crosman Forum Member

I am cheap too

August 19 2011, 7:28 PM 

This 1377 the sliding breech would pop open every time it was fired.I had a few of these laying around and wandered if they would work,so I swapped it over and now have a nice brass handle.
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Respond to this message   

(Login mafatone)
Crosman Forum Member

Thrifty

August 23 2011, 12:28 AM 

What you did was good because you saved time and most importantly money by using a rear sight you had laying around. I mix and match stuff al the time,like swivels,butt pads,rings,mounts and slings to save some bucks.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - 1377 Factory Rear Sight To Steel Breech Mod
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Crosman Corporation 1-800-724-7486