logo by smgunner

Crosman999's Sheridan

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How do I find a manufacture date for a Crosman 454 BB-matic?

April 7 2012 at 4:18 PM
  (Login 144man)
Crosman Forum Member
from IP address 74.111.120.61

It's marked "A Coleman Division" and "Fairport, N.Y. USA" The SN is 678021922

BTW, Birchwood Casey Alumablack followed by Minwax Paste Wax does a pretty good job on the missing paint. The chipped edges are still there, but at least the voids are black instead of gray.

Great little gun! Ideal for plinking at peanuts and marshmallows tossed onto a pond. (No lead in the pond. Owner's rule.)

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

This message has been edited by 144man from IP address 74.111.120.61 on Apr 7, 2012 4:22 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Larry
(Login breakfastchef)
Crosman Forum Member

There Is A Phase I And Phase II...

April 7 2012, 6:43 PM 

...that much I know. Manufacturing date range is 1972-1977.

I recently scored two 454s, one of each Phase. The Phase II has lighter colored grips and a little ramp ground into the frame to make the BBs a bit easier to load. The Phase I has a screw head/coin slot to tighten the CO2, while the Phase II has on of those thumb tabs. My assumption is that the Phase II is a later model.

Respond to this message   

(Login 144man)
Crosman Forum Member

Thanks. I guess mine is a Phase II

April 7 2012, 8:03 PM 

It does have the BB loading ramp. My CO2 piercing screw is a cylindrical headed bolt with a split keyring through it, probably someone's previous repair of a broken thumb tab. Works fine.

I replaced the seals in this gun a few years ago, with parts that were still available back then from Crosman. I don't remember much about the process, except that it took me several tries to get it back together and functioning. Kinda like working on a Cr 357; lots of parts that go boing and disappear across the room.

One thing I DID learn: if the gun suffers from BB mis-feeds and hang-ups in the magazine, it is probably due to bumps/knocks on the top of the action, and/or overtightening of the mating screws. In either case, the mis-feed problem can be solved by very careful use of a flat-blade srewdriver. Just insert it in the magazine observation slot, and open it up ever so slightly.

I think we're all Bozos on this bus.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - How do I find a manufacture date for a Crosman 454 BB-matic?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Crosman Corporation 1-800-724-7486