logo by smgunner

Dean's HiPac 2240

Tactical Trijicon ACOG TA01 Style 4x32 Cross Sight Rifle Scope + Kill Flash
TROBB Solid Aluminium Dovetail Power Block with Gmac hollow probe and G-mac Bolt
Gmac Brass Power Adjuster Spring And Guide/Drilled Out Standard Valve For more air space
Hammer Mods//Gmac 30% Lighter valve Spring/Gmac Brass Safety Catch//Transfer port drilled out
Full Gmac Trigger kit/Gmac barrel cut to 9inch/Weihrauch Silencer/Custom Home Made Grips/
New TRACER LEDRAY GL2 LAMP 90m Range Beam//HI-Pac

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Looking for information on making 2240 grips..

June 17 2012 at 4:55 PM

(Login twhooper)
Crosman Forum Member
from IP address 70.241.71.112

Want to make some grips. Looking for articles and posts and tips on making them, especially with pictures.

Thanks.

Be Well... Tom

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
James S
(Login jamesinadvance)
Crosman Forum Member

Haven't seen much on tutorials for this....

June 18 2012, 8:24 AM 

What kind of wood do you have to make this from? If this is a first attempt I don't reccomend using fancy wood as it is normally harder to work with,. Save that for the third or fourth. Or at least learn how to cut the angles and fit to metal with some plainer wood first. Fitting up grips can be difficult but gets easier with practice. I have made grips for PBs and airguns for decades and still find it challenging but I like that part of it.

I could say start with a block of wood bigger than you need and remove all that doesn't look like grips but using that method all I get is a pile of scraps that don't look like anything. So lots of planning is needed, I make patterns from paper and take many measurements. Starting with the back side and ending with profiles and outlines. Make positive and negative patterns, leave a good size nub at the wide end of the grip so you will have a nub to clamp in a vise if needed, toward the finally stages this can be sawn off easily, Clamping almost finished grips in a vise will ruin them.
Cut a little measure a lot. It helps if you have a set of grips to duplicate. Keep the outer edges around the grip frame oversize till last cause they will easily get knocked off or end up inside the profile you want. I also use a stub of a candle to blacken the grip frame when test fitting that shows up the tight spots.
Back to the paper pattern if you can trace a good pattern on paper make several copies and glue them to the backs of the grips. Sometimes I use a router for the stepped edges, and you need to have a oversized blank that can be clamped down in order to do that, so that automatically makes this the first cut.

You want to keep your tools sharp and your fingers just as long as when you started.

[linked image]

[linked image]

James S

Respond to this message   

dan house
(Login dan_house)
Crosman Forum Member

Found this

June 18 2012, 11:25 AM 

and searching for "2240 grip making tutorial", didnt find much, did try "crosman grip making tutorial" found this:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1197764204/1197813601/How+to+make+wood+grips+for+your+Crosman

search is your frined, but only if you cna get the right keywords.... ??? oy  

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab
[linked image]
the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Looking for information on making 2240 grips..
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Crosman Corporation 1-800-724-7486