The (new) Crosman Forum, your first and last stop for all things Crosman

Jim Gillilan's Custom 1322 Carbine

Jim Gillilan's Custom 1322 Carbine w/Custom Stock

Here's one I'm especially proud of and is modded all over, doing 12fpe at 15 pumps.
Stock is Teak from Thailand and super light weight 1322 Carbine!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Oh what webs we weave

May 2 2017 at 7:36 AM

BillLamm  (Login BillLamm)
Crosman Forum Member
from IP address 98.223.9.172

So, I decided to get this old sheridan pistol going (born the same year as me) but it's got a bulged barrel and the money on parts I would have spent got me a crosman 1377.. built a trap, got a 2240 as well.. ordered a lefty breach (first time shooting I instinctivly reached for the bolt with my left hand) and a 18 inch .22 barrel...

My current plan is the 18 inch .22 barrel on the pumper with a shoulder stock and putting the 10 inch .177 barrel on the 2240.. rifle scope on the pumper and a pistol scope on the 2240.. (at 51 optics are proving to be my friend on the firing line) I like free hand pistol shooting and unlike most threads I read I want to try and get the most shots at 25 to 33 ft out of the CO2..

That's a start.. along with polishing the trigger group and exploring all the fun that can be had in that department..

Am I on a pretty smart track or are their any glaring oops in my plan.. I am pinching pennies this year so trying not to order that 1911 looking trigger and turning them both into PCPs..

This message has been edited by BillLamm from IP address 98.223.9.172 on May 2, 2017 7:36 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

dan_house
(Login dan_house)
Crosman Forum Member

Sounds like a plan

May 2 2017, 10:22 AM 

keep searching the forum and asking Q's, this group has the answers....

Respond to this message   

Anonymous
(Login BillLamm)
Crosman Forum Member

Re: Sounds like a plan

May 2 2017, 12:14 PM 

That's why I am here.. been trolling several forums.. this one seems to have the friendliest and detailed posts posts

Respond to this message   

cobalt
(Login cobalt327)
Crosman Forum Member

What caused the bulged barrel?

May 2 2017, 12:20 PM 

Any idea? I would think even a brass barrel wouldn't bulge from the pressures encountered in that type airgun.

Respond to this message   

BillLamm
(Login BillLamm)
Crosman Forum Member

Re: What caused the bulged barrel?

May 2 2017, 4:01 PM 

I don't know? It came to me that way.. looks like something tumbled in the barrel, but thar doesn't make logical sense.. my best wild guess is repeated shooting to free a bad pellet (or stone?) or using a rod to try and clear the barrel (with a hammer) I invision individuals younger then teen..

Respond to this message   

cobalt
(Login cobalt327)
Crosman Forum Member

A shame about the Sheridan

May 3 2017, 4:20 AM 

But it looks like you're on to 'bigger and better' things. I do hope you'll revisit fixing up the Sheridan sometime down the road, though.

Good luck!

Respond to this message   

BillLamm
(Login BillLamm)
Crosman Forum Member

I am only guessing..

May 3 2017, 2:09 PM 

Maybe if I find a replacment upper.. otherwise I will need to de-braise the barrel and braise in a new one.. It makes a good show piece until then

Respond to this message   
Scot Laughlin
(Login classicalgas)
Crosman Forum Member

You can bulge a benji or 'dan barrel if you try to drive out a stack of stuck pellets

May 3 2017, 5:09 PM 

I've seen a couple bulged brass barrels over the decades, and that's the only way I can account for it. You can't heat them enough to melt the pellets, they unsolder, and drilling wipes out the rifling(I've seen that too)A LOT of those guns saw decades of hard use, and some were just plain abused . I've purchased (cheap) Sheridans that sat in a barn so long the stock was rotted halfway up the butt.

The barrels are soft soldered on, other than the receiver, which uses a slightly higher temp lead/tin solder...but not silver soldered or brazed.

This message has been edited by classicalgas from IP address 50.159.8.234 on May 3, 2017 5:09 PM

Respond to this message   

BillLamm
(Login BillLamm)
Crosman Forum Member

Re: You can bulge a benji or 'dan barrel if you try to drive out a stack of stuck pellets

May 3 2017, 5:16 PM 

I will take that into consideration.. I love the esthetic as it is.. and just got word my Diana 10 (10m match pistol) is heading home with new guts.. I have plenty to plink with for now

Respond to this message   

BillLamm
(Login BillLamm)
Crosman Forum Member

Oh what webs we weave

May 4 2017, 12:15 PM 

*https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7BRcFHf9KxzVWpJc1oxaklMYzg/view?usp=drivesdk*

I guess I should have taken a before pic but we all know what stock pistols look like

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Crosman Corporation 1-800-724-7486

This forum is not affiliated with the Crosman Corporation in any way// Information presented in this forum is intended for informational purposes only; use at your own risk//Posts made to this forum are solely the opinion of the individual member