<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

ATTAC Buying Questions?!?

April 9 2008 at 2:07 PM
Jaygo333 

I am very much interested in buying ATTAC but just wanted to make sure that this project is still alive.

Plus where do I send the money to and how much.

I am also confused about the 4 alias names that need to be sent or to that accord.

Plus, when buying ATTAC, what is this "ATTAC with TWXSync integration" that I hear about and what does TWXSync have to do with ATTAC and are those servers still alive? How do those servers help with Trade Wars?

Plus, does my registration ever expire?

And do I have to download a new ATTAC to use the registration code that is sent to me or do I just add to my current ATTAC.

Plus, the code that is sent to me, is it tied to the computer I am on or the registration Alias that are sent to you.

Are there restrictions as to how many registered ATTAC accounts can be available duirng one time or how does that go.

I am very much hoping to buy this one over SWATH and am ready for your response.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
earth

ATTAC Buying Questions?!?

April 14 2008, 1:30 PM 

I am still here.

you pay via paypal on the site www.tw-attac.com and then I contact you.

the 4 names refer to the names when you create a tradewars user. when you play on twgs, it is the twgs login name and not the game name so you have change your name in the game without a problem.

your reg doesnt expire and it is tied to the alias and NOT the computer.

the reg works in version 4.x or higher so just add them without redownloading.

no restrictions on accounts. you can run it on 20 computers as long as they belong to you and you are using it.

integration means that you can utilize a twxsync server. this means that if you play on a team, you can set up 1 server and all your map/sector/info data is automatically sent to you all your teammates even if they havent explored those sectors.

earth.

Respond to this message   
Toad

Re: ATTAC Buying Questions?!?

April 14 2008, 1:46 PM 

I can answer some of your questions.

Is the project still alive? It's been 3 years since any update has been released. Earth has responded to an email i sent, but has not responded to a problem I posted on the message board. I wouldn't say it's TOTALLY dead, but it's not nearly as alive as it used to be.

The 4 alias names are your 4 in tradewars game names. When you play tradewars, you MUST use one of the 4 names listed, or ATTAC will not accept you as a registered player.

I am pretty sure I purchased ATTAC during version 3.xx and was given new codes for version 4.xx for free. As ATTAC hasn't been updated in 3 years, it is very possible that 4.11 is the final version of ATTAC, and therefore your registration will never expire.

The ATTAC you have will accept the new Reg codes you recieve when you purchase them

The code sent to you is useable on as many computers as you want. and you could run all the PCs at once.

While I still have and use ATTAC, the TW community reguards it as one of the not so good programs to use with tradewars. Before spending money, I would go to the tradewars forums http://www.classictw.com and browse around to see what others are using and what seems best for you. If ATTAC still seems to be the best choice then enjoy.

Respond to this message   
Toad

April 14 2008, 1:47 PM 

ah, earth was typing when i was and corrected some flaws in my message.

Respond to this message   
earth

April 29 2008, 6:05 PM 

Toad,

As as always, life is a matter of time and money.

Currently, I have 2 small children and like Doug Underwood, I just dont have time to play anymore. That said, there are two things that would make progress on ATTAC continue. The first is time and the second is money. If i had time to play (which i dont), i would and i would update the software. The second is money. If it was worth my while to write ATTAC to pay my rent, that would be one thing.

i still respond to email and stuff and in my rare spare time, write some code and scripts.

I would welcome a partner who has more time to write ATTAC with me. If you know of anyone interested, please email me.

earth.

Respond to this message   
Toad

Understood

May 6 2008, 9:57 PM 

Being the father to 2 children myself i am well aware of what they do to available time. But here is the moral catch. If the program still has issues and you don't have time to work on repairs for the program, is it still morally correct to accept money for a broken product that has little to no support, or do so without a disclaimer saying such?
Case in point, long ago when i did buy ATTAC, Attac was under active development, fully supported, and TWSYNC did not exist, and the TWSYNC server didn't exist. I think it's a great idea, and had this existed during the time when i had a few corp mates playing actively, it would have made our game play much easier. But at this point, because i still have problems with the current version of ATTAC itself, i wouldn't think of spending more money on TWSync.
Please understand, I understand your position in life, and were I in your position, a game program for a game i don't play anymore that makes nearly no money would be very very low on my priority list. But I would also fully disclose that and stop selling my program (as the purchase of the program includes support).
My post to the original poster was to ensure he was aware of what he, the end user, would be likely to experience if he decided to purchase the program and the perception of the other people he is likely to play with/against when he is in game. If he pays for ATTAC, then finds out that everyone else is using something else and he will need to switch programs, he may be a bit annoyed he spent money on a program that he won't be able to use and has litle support.

Respond to this message   
earth

Understood

May 14 2008, 12:48 PM 

At some time, someone might offer to help code ATTAC and then development will continue. It isn't dead since i am still here answer and discussing, it is just stagnating. If you want to help code it, let me know.
earth.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Tradewars 2002Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement