Anyone remember this?

by Scott

When it was decided that Pat Burns would remain Bruins coach, Pat, Harry and Mike were "practically dancing in the office" over the players they were going to add before the start of next season. I find it very hard to believe Pat did much dancing over Paul Coffey as he is a defense first coach. I doubt Kovalenko was on his mind back on "dancing day". That leaves Peter Popovic. I doubt anybody other than Popovic himself did any dancing over that one. At the same meeting it was decided that the team was too soft last year and that that also would have to be addressed during the summer. I believe "our roughness sucked" was how Burns put it. My question is does that mean the toughness situation will be addressed by a trade? They will probably say that someone will have to step up during camp but I have never seen anybody "turn tough" from being a soft player. Knuble has the tools to do it but it just doesnt happen that way. We have the goaltending, scoring and "maybe" an effective defense. What we need most is grit and I dont see much of it with the personel we have now. I hope Belanger gets some real minutes this year and that Jeff Zehr can play a Secord-like game, but if those things dont happen the Bs will once again be among the leagues softest teams. I hope a trade will be made before camp to add size and toughness up front and maybe pick up another McSorley type defenseman.

Posted on Aug 20, 2000, 9:09 AM
from IP address 209.240.220.199

Respond to this message

Goto Forum Home

Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement