I stopped updating this a while ago, since then I'd finished the general shaping on the first bass. I decided I made the neck to skinny for a 5, and I wasn't very confident an oak and poplar bass would sound the greatest. Rather soft woods, especially the poplar. Here are a couple of updated pictures of it:
So, instead of spending a few hundred bucks on tuning gear and pickups for a 4-string that may not sound good, I decided to start over with a better design and better materials. I found a place a couple hours from me that sells exotic woods for extremely cheap, so after a couple trips I had enough hard maple to make at least two necks, a bundle of 1/4" zebrawood, and a lovely chunk of bubinga. All together it ran me $100, and I have enough maple and zebrawood to make another.. Planning on doing a walnut body with zebrawood top 6-string guitar. That's another story.
Anyways, here is the progress on the new bass.
Body wings are solid bubinga, neck is maple/zebra. I really like the zebrawood stripes down the middle.
The head still has to shaped. Body shape is still a work in progress, much more work done on the back than the front. Fingerboard will be zebrawood, and the head will have a 'veneer' of bubinga on the front, just scraps from the body I cut into 1/8" thick strips.