Return to Index  

Thank you

July 24 2007 at 9:52 PM

Response to Angry hero's war medals go on block

I know this message is being posted years after the actual debate, but I would still like to say "Thank you" to all the people who objected so strongly to the sale of Brig. General Dollard Menards' war medals being sold.
My name is Kate Menard, and the General was my Grand- father. Although I didn't have the opportunity to know him well,(I only got to meet three or four times), he still made a huge impression on me, even at a young age. The thought of his medals and honours being sold (especially sold out of the country) was devestating. I haven't kept in touch with the family, and I have no idea what could have led Charles to his decision to sell them in the first place. I remember them holding a place of honour in his home, the medals carefully preserved in their case, and the large poster depicting the General in battle prominantly displayed on the wall. I also remember how I felt when his part in the war, and his actions in battle were described to me, and the incredible connection that I suddenly felt to my own history. At fifteen I finally understood what Rememberance Day was for, and what part Canadian soldiers played and continue to play in various wars and military actions around the world. To lose those precious pieces of our own history, to allow them to slip through our fingers is an insult to all our soldiers, past and present. They made, and continue to make the ultimate sacrifice for all of us. The least we can do is to honour their memory by cherishing those hard won medals and stories by keeping them close to our hearts and in our own homes.

Sincerely,
Katherine Ann Menard

Respond to this message   
Responses

canadiansoldiers.com