Return to Index  

Screen Printing

January 9 2008 at 9:37 AM
Ken Joyce 

Response to Pure Specualtion!

I will look into this further. BTW - Yes I have experience in printing and printing on cloth. I have probably seen quite a few more smocks than you Ed, so I dont know what you are getting at there? As a graduate of the art program at Sheridan College and having done screen printing, I can tell you for a fact that what you and others on this forum are proposing is impossible or very very very time consuming. In the case of these garments, they were vat dyed in one colour and then the camo added on top. The difficulty here is, as Ed I presume you have never been involved in anything regarding reproduction of this nature, finite brush strokes and trails with dye droplets and spots differing from one garment to the next is probably impossible to reproduce by screen printing. If they did it that way, you would evenutally see the same mark again. As I stated eariler, and you and others obviously missed, huge sections of dyed material HAVE NO CAMO OR RECOGNIZABLE PATTERN. If it was screen printed, you WOULD have some consistancy at some point. There is none. To create large sheets of material in this process would actually be more time consuming. The British never had any experince in creating camo clothing. Once they saw the German stuff, they did what was feasible at the time. In my educated opinion, and talking the SOE dude as evidence, they likely had huge vat dyed sheets of one colour and then applied the camo directly. You cant compare the infancy of camo clothing to modern printing. Also German Camo during the war WAS printed and you can see the continuing pattern both Whermacht and SS camo. This simply does NOT exist on the Denison.

Here is a test for you ED. Take a large wide paint brush, apply a stroke over a blank piece of material, paper or whatever, and then try and cut that out making sure you follow every single line in detail. Good luck!!!

Ken

Respond to this message   
Responses

canadiansoldiers.com