Return to Index  

Entertainment for the Expert

January 9 2008 at 3:25 PM
Ed Storey 

Response to Screen Printing

I am sure we are keeping everyone entertained, although I have no intention of stooping so low to trashing your printed work. Yes I am stubborn, egotistical, pampas and more than a little full of myself, but I still think you are blowing smoke out your arse when it comes to your theory of the hand dyed British camouflage garments. But, I could be wrong.

I am not saying am an expert in the printing trade, just that I have more experience then you do with your college arts course. If you want to sit down and talk the technicalities of screen and offset litho over a beer, I am more than willing to do that, but I doubt this forum wants to read about those technicalities.

Looking at just offset printing on fabric, the British were printing maps on fabric as early as 1939 by both web and sheet-fed presses; you can look those up in your old college text book if you are unsure of the terms and what they mean. It was possible to print camouflage patterns on fabric using this method, so why use a hand method when the technology already exists to use a press? The British were also manufacturing camouflaged Gas Capes and Groundsheets long before the production of the other camouflaged clothing was undertaken, you must have forgotten or not known of these garments as you stated earlier that the British had no experience in creating camouflage clothing. As I mentioned before when you first waded into this discussion you stated that every British camouflage garment was hand dyed, did this happen with these two garments as well?

I got a chuckle out of your example of how the hand-crafted china business in the UK somehow relates to the reproduction of camouflage patterns on fabric. Two posts earlier you implied that comparing current Canadian CADPAT material and its manufacture to Second War camouflage manufacture should not be done, “You cant compare the infancy of camo clothing to modern printing.”, yet you seem to think that there is a link between the manufacture of Royal Dolton figures and camouflage production, well I think you blew an extra billow of smoke on that Dolton comparison.

What is your definition of a ‘couple of thousand’? How many Denison Smocks were manufactured during the Second World War, at least two divisions and a battalions’ worth, how many is that? I think more then a couple of thousand.

You certainly throw around the term expert quite a bit, you suggested in your previous post that I claimed I was one in the printing field, when I hadn’t; and you also tell us you know one who worked at the SOE Depot and you are contacting one in the textile field as well. Dare I ask your definition of expert? Perhaps you mistake expert for experienced?

I truly love broad-brush statements like: “I am not the only one who states that the camo was likely hand applied.” Are these other people experts too? I noticed you stated ‘likely’ hand applied, does this mean that you have decided that there may been other methods of producing the camouflage material?

Truly enjoyable sparing with you Ken, do you have any more experts that you can consult with?

Respond to this message   
Responses

canadiansoldiers.com