Return to Index  

Re: Why is it garbage?

May 26 2009 at 11:25 AM

Response to Why is it garbage?

David:
That was in reference to your remarks about neck strain, ground fixation and ground rush, which I still maintain is pure hogwash.

I had not realized that the training included 40-50-year-old, out-of-shape non-jumpers. I was under the impression, obviously mistaken, that Pathfinders was open to ex-military jumpers only, and that medical certification was required prior to training. Wasn't that the way they started when they were originally organized ten or twenty years ago? Besides, aren't most of the jumps made bareass? On the other hand, if you've got a bunch of heavy duty, overgrown, McDs type of round guys hanging from round parachutes, it'd be nice to have a huge, wide open DZ with few obstructions. Or maybe it would be prudent to borrow a couple of cargo parachutes from the Space Shuttle guys.

I also have to agree that four days of training, depending on the quality of training, might be on the short side, especially if the training is to prepare them to exit the aircraft military style in a stick with full military equipment. For absolute non-jumpers, that may be pushing it, especially with steerable canopies, but where do the responsibilities of the instructors end? Are they not responsible to ensure adequate training? And once again, aren't most the jumps bareass?

As far as having to watch out for the other guy, there should be more than sufficient individual separation of jumpers within a stick exiting a C-47 to prevent entanglements and collisions. The Gooney Bird only has one door. It's not like you have two doors with jumpers simultaneously exiting both port and starboard with a bunch of aircraft in a mass military drop with heavy equipment coming out the tailgate.

I'm obviously familiar with the T-10 and I'm also familiar with the MC1, having jumped it with slip risers, back in the early '60s with the SF in Bragg. I also jumped the X-type in the UK. Unlike the T-10, the X-type had a canvas harness. However, I'm not familiar with the PX4 at all. Is that the Brit low-altitude parachute?

If the reenacting guys really want to be gung-ho, they should use T-7s. Now that would really give them a kick-in-the-ass feel for WW2 parachuting!

Finally, my reference to school girls going through jump school today was directed strictly at military airborne schools, where teenage girls, regular army, or here in Canada, where even cadets, are offered airborne training, and not sport parachute clubs. You'd be amazed at the number of young women in the army who sport jump wings! Have you noticed lately? Even many of the riggers are women.

Bottom line, I stand by my previous remarks, and I still maintain that it's no big deal to teach people how to jump today.

Respond to this message   
Responses

canadiansoldiers.com