Return to Index  

Re: New Brunswick Rangers...who were they?

January 31 2010 at 7:27 PM
Mark W. Tonner 


Response to New Brunswick Rangers...who were they?

Hi Roger;

This is rather long, but:

A thumbnail history of The New Brunswick Rangers from 26 August 1939 to 1 April 1946. Part 1 deals with that component of the regiment that served beginning with the Non-Permanent Active Militia and became a unit of the Canadian Active Service Force and eventually a unit of the Canadian Army (Active). Part 2 deals with that component of the regiment which continued to serve with the Non-Permanent Active Militia and eventually the Canadian Army (Reserve).

Part 1: The New Brunswick Rangers of the Non-Permanent Active Militia - Canadian Active Service Force - Canadian Army (Active):

- Details of The New Brunswick Rangers (Battalion Headquarters (Sussex, NB), Headquarters Company (Sussex, NB), "A" Company (Clifton, NB), "B" Company (Sussex, NB), "C" Company (Moncton, NB) and "D" Company (Salisbury, NB)) a unit of the Non-Permanent Active Militia under Headquarters, 16th Infantry Brigade (Saint John, NB) were Called Out on Service in Military District No. 7 effective 26 August 1939 for the purpose of (a) Manning Coastal and Anti-Aircraft Defences; and (b) providing guards for vulnerable points.

- The New Brunswick Rangers (Details) of the Non-Permanent Active Militia was Called Out and Placed on Active Service effective 1 September 1939 for duty within Military District No. 7 under the designation The New Brunswick Rangers, C.A.S.F. (Details).

- The New Brunswick Rangers, C.A.S.F. (Details) was re-designated The New Brunswick Rangers (Details) effective 7 November 1940.

- The New Brunswick Rangers (Details) were disbanded effective 31 December 1940.

- The New Brunswick Rangers were not disbanded in 1941, they were placed on Active Service effective 1 January 1941 in Military District No. 7 (encompassed the Province of New Brunswick) as a Home Defence unit of the Canadian Army (Active).

- They were allocated to the Canadian Infantry Corps as the 1st Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers, C.I.C. effective 3 September 1942.

- 1st Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers, C.I.C. was converted and re-designated the 10th Infantry Brigade Support Group (The New Brunswick Rangers) effective 1 November 1943.

- 10th Infantry Brigade Support Group (The New Brunswick Rangers) was converted and re-designated The 10th Independent Machine Gun Company (The New Brunswick Rangers) effective 24 February 1944.

- The 10th Independent Machine Gun Company (The New Brunswick Rangers) were disbanded effective 15 February 1946.

The War Diaries of the above mentioned can be found at Library & Archives Canada (Ottawa) under RG24, National Defence, Series C-3, Volumes 6623, 6624, 6625, 6626, 6627, 6628 and 6629 under the file title: No. 10 Independent Machine Gun Company (New Brunswick Rangers). Volume 6629 also includes the War Diary for the Regimental Depot, New Brunswick Rangers from September 1939 to July 1940, after which the Regimental Depot was absorbed into No. 7 District Depot (Fredericton, NB) effective 25 July 1940.

Part 2: The New Brunswick Rangers of the Non-Permanent Active Militia and of the Canadian Army (Reserve):

- Details of The New Brunswick Rangers ( Battalion Headquarters (Sussex, NB), Headquarters Company (Sussex, NB), "A" Company (Clifton, NB), "B" Company (Sussex, NB), "C" Company (Moncton, NB) and "D" Company (Salisbury, NB)) a unit of the Non-Permanent Active Militia under Headquarters, 16th Infantry Brigade (Saint John, NB) were Called Out on Service in Military District No. 7 effective 26 August 1939 for the purpose of (a) Manning Coastal and Anti-Aircraft Defences; and (b) providing guards for vulnerable points.

- The New Brunswick Rangers (Details) of the Non-Permanent Active Militia was Called Out and Placed on Active Service effective 1 September 1939 for duty within Military District No. 7 under the designation The New Brunswick Rangers, C.A.S.F. (Details)

- The New Brunswick Rangers of the Non-Permanent Active Militia was re-designated the 1st (Reserve) Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers under effective 7 November 1940.

- 1st (Reserve) Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers was re-designated the 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers upon the Active component (The New Brunswick Rangers) of the regiment being placed on Active Service effective 1 January 1941.

- 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers was reallocated to the 37th (Reserve) Brigade Group from the 16th (Reserve) Infantry Brigade effective 1 April 1942.

- 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers was reallocated to the 16th (Reserve) Infantry Brigade from the 37th (Reserve) Brigade Group effective 14 September 1944.

- 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers In conjunction with The Saint John Fusiliers (M.G.) were converted and re-designated The South New Brunswick Regiment effective 1 April 1946.

- The South New Brunswick Regiment was re-designated The New Brunswick Scottish effective 2 December 1946.

Hope this helps.

Mark

 
 Respond to this message   
Responses

canadiansoldiers.com