Return to Index  

WWII Canadian Reefer Jacket?

March 22 2011 at 9:21 AM
Jeff Hollenbeck 

Hi guys,
I picked up this jacket as part of a lot and I am not famiiar with it. I thought it might be a jeep coat of some sort but can't find reference to this exact style.
Someone suggested it might be airforce as it says Outer Shell Type C. I can't find any reference to this either.
The closest thing I can find in description is a Reefer/Mackinaw/Jeep coat, but this exact model is not described, nor is there a picture.
From Uniforms of the WWII Tommy by David Gordon:
"The Reefer Jacket was short waterproof coat that was produced in two principle patterns in the UK during the war. Both patterns were produced from a waterproof poplin material that ranged in colour from khaki to olive drab. The front was double breasted with pairs of double buttons and the sleeves had adjustable cuffs with tabs and buttons. Large box pockets with flaps are located at the sides of each hip. The inside of the jacket was lined with drab coloured wool. The earlier pattern featured an adjustable belt at the waist with a series of belt loops to keep it from riding up when seated. A wide shawl collar was also used on this pattern and it provided excellent protection from wind and rain when folded up around the neck. Early examples were faced with wool for warmth. The later pattern was produced without belt loops and the collar had notched lapels and no wool facing."

As you see there are some features that match the early pattern of Reefer jacket and some that don't. The pics in the book and all the online pics I find are of a waist length coat.

Perhaps this is a Canadian variant on the Reefer jacket?

Does anyone know anything about this style of jacket?
Thanks,
Jeff

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

This message has been edited by dorosh on Mar 22, 2011 8:00 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

canadiansoldiers.com