Return to Index  

What's to remember?

August 18 2011 at 12:09 PM
Michael Dorosh 

Response to 19 aug 1942

There are 365 significant military anniversary days on the calendar. Tomorrow will be the 69th anniversary of what was a poorly planned and ultimately failed raid that yielded little practical value. Not to take away from the bravery of the troops, but the Canadians involved managed to accomplish little to nothing, particularly compared to the performance of the Army in later battles. Battles and events which were far more important and decisive, yet which have yet to be commemorated on an annual basis, such as the opening of Antwerp, or the crossing of the Rhine.

I'm not sure I understand the fascination with wallowing in the despair of this military disaster.

I definitely hope there will be mention of Dieppe on the 70th Anniversary next year, as I feel the "milestone" anniversaries are important touchstones. Even more important will be the 75th anniversary.

The fallen soldiers of Dieppe will be given their due on Remembrance Day with their comrades.

Canadian Forces Day is the first Sunday in June, where the living, the serving, and veterans are honoured.

Personally, I think it would be healthier just to put whatever debate there is about Dieppe to rest already, and focus more on the positive contributions of 1st Canadian Army to the campaign in Europe as a whole.

VE-Day seems much more significant an anniversary, and emblematic of all the efforts - Dieppe included - than commiserating about one single failure.

Respond to this message   
Responses

canadiansoldiers.com