Return to Index  

Just saw this now (massive SPOILERS ahead)

July 22 2017 at 4:26 PM
Michael Dorosh 

Response to Re: Comments section

The grinning soldier from the trailer was there, I remembered to watch for him. There were a couple of times extras in mortal terror were grinning at the camera.

I say if you want a good visual experience, the movie won't disappoint. The CGI was kept to minimal and realistic levels. The dogfights looked real - no Star Wars tracer effects, no skies filled with planes (or boats).

And yet...

Despite jumping into the action very quickly, I didn't care about any of the characters. I don't think half of them had names. All the infantrymen looked alike and all the pilots wore oxygen masks.

The scenes were presented out of order - I suppose to build the tension - but all it did was confuse me.

Every time a British plane went after a German one, he went down. Shooting down an airplane is an incredibly hard thing to do. It's why the top 5% of pilots were recognized as 'aces' - because it was so relatively rare for anyone to do it. Movie falls victim to the trope that if you're shooting an enemy plane up, he's going down.

Without characters to care about, there was nothing at stake. And the little bit of drama they did have, didn't work. At the end they had the Spitfire pilot do the 'hand-crank the landing gear in the nick of time' thing. But so what? In Memphis Belle when they did it, they at least had some stakes as earlier in the film, another B-17 bellied in and blew up on landing. So the audience felt some drama when the Belle had to do the same thing. Not here.

And of course, the nitpicky stuff - the British colonel appeared to be wearing the wrong insignia on his BD (arm of service rank badges, OR cap badge). The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were wearing plain glengarries (unless the two visible glens were supposed to be pipers, these should have been diced). Stukas kept appearing out of nowhere - did they really not have LAA regiments at the beach at Dunkirk? Stukas just come and go at will to shock and surprise the audience.

Curious about others' reaction to this.

This message has been edited by dorosh on Jul 23, 2017 1:09 PM

Respond to this message   

canadiansoldiers.com