Return to Index  

Lots of questions answered

August 14 2017 at 9:32 AM
Melodie 

Response to Re: I'm back with more questions

Hi Dan, I have to apologize right off the bat for misspelling Michael "Dorosh's name. I'm so embarrassed and I'm so thankful that you pointed it out.

Please no apologies necessary for the long delay. I can only imagine how much reading and research you have done in order to answer my questions. Oh yes, and I’ll take you up on your offer to answer more questions. I’m more than happy to assist in justifying “my having all of the stuff that my wife considers 'junk”.

Regarding where my Dad was prior to TOS to the 3rd, I submitted the following response to Kevin:

As near as I can tell from his records (which are a little hard to understand), he seemed to move around a lot. He started out in #1 CARU then #2 CARU. He was TOS to 1st Medium Regiment on June 12 till Sept 16 when he went back to #2 CARU (Canadian Artillery Regimental Unit?) So the #2 CARU is where he was just prior to being TOS to 3rd Medium on Dec 24, 1942. I don't know what the difference is between a CARU and a Regiment

The Gun Layer position seems to be pretty important job and I'm looking forward to sharing this information with my family. I'm impressed and proud of him that he did this. (Well, I was impressed and proud anyway regardless, just more so now
)
I would love to get my hands on the 3rd Mediums history. If my Dad received copy of it, it is forever lost - so tragic. Incidentally, I started actually "reading" not just skimming through The Guns of Normandy - what an eye opener to what these men went through - it's so heart wrenching.

Your thoughts on my last question regarding the order of TOS's and SOS's make a lot of sense in that he probably never physically moved. And the charges were constant- which is one of the reasons why this research has been so difficult

I love your thoughts on what he would have done there and I might guess that in addition to "avoiding camp details" he probably spent lots of time hatching plans to find ways to spend time with his new wife. LOL

Once again, thanks for all the time you've put into this.

Melodie

Respond to this message   
Responses

canadiansoldiers.com