Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Need to hire a researcher in Ottawa - anyone interested?
    • Michael Dorosh
      Posted Mar 6, 2007 12:11 AM

Gents - my dad's birthday is in May. I was hoping to write a history of his old unit, the 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery by the middle of April to present to him.

The regiment was formed in 1936 as a reorg of The Yorkton Regiment.

It served in the 17th Field Brigade. During the war, an active battery was formed and served in the 21st Field Regiment of the 6th Divisional Artillery, and shipped to the UK in 1943 where it was disbanded.

It later served in the 53rd Field Regiment, RCA until 1968 when it transferred to the 10th Field Regiment where it still serves today.

I do have the GOs regarding the formation of the original battery and its wartime active battery.

I have several questions though and could use some help.

a) I found the War Diary of the active battery which existed from 1941-1943 in the national archives. How would I go about getting someone to photocopy this for me?

b) I contacted the RCA Museum and the Battery directly in Yorkton with some questions but have not heard back. Perhaps someone here can answer?

I can find no information on the 53rd Field Regiment and would like to know:
      i) When was the 53rd Field Regiment formed?
      ii) Where was it headquartered
      iii) What were its component sub-units?
      iv) What date was it disbanded
      v) What date did 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery transfer to command of 10th Field Regiment?

In 1941, when a 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery was mobilized, did this in fact create two separate units with the same name - one in the Canadian Army (Reserve) and a second in the Canadian Army (Active)? Or did the battery in Yorkton cease to exist when the Active unit was created?

c) I am using Nicholson's GUNNERS OF CANADA for research also but it is lean on details of postwar artillery life. Does the Directorate of History and Heritage maintain files on individual units? I know that Commanding Officers submit historical accounts annually to NDHQ with numbers, equipment etc. Would someone be able to locate these for me at DHH? Stuff I am interested in are:

A list of the Commanding Officers of the 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery from 1936 to present; a list of Battery Sergeants Major of the battery for the same time frame; the date that the 25-pounders were turned in; the date that C1 and later C3 howitzers were issued; how many; what type of gun tractors were used (if indeed the battery had its own equipment).

d) I have consulted COURAGE AND SERVICE and see no decorations awarded to members of the 64th Battery during the Second World War. Have there been any awards in the postwar era (ie the MMM, OMM, etc.)? How would I find out?

I am also looking for images of the Yorkton Armoury. I see the national archives have a file on the building of the armoury, but I don't think it is on fiche? Again, if there is a way to get a researcher to copy the file, how would i do that?

I did look up the battery in THE MAPLE LEAF and at the COMBAT CAMERA websites and found great photos and articles of their history for recent years, so that is no problem. I have photos of my dad's service 1955-1957, and Nicholson talks a bit about the summer concentrations my dad was at.

If anybody has any other interesting info related to THE YORKTON REGIMENT 1921-1936 (including photos of insignia or uniforms) as well as the 64th (Yorkton) Field Battery, I'd be very interested.

I'd be most pleased if someone could direct me to a way to get the War Diary copies as that would, I think, be my priority at the moment. Pity I didn't think of it when I was out there.

These are the details of the first box:

64th (Yorkton) Field Battery, Royal Canadian Artillery: see also War Diary of 21st Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery for Diaries from December 1941 to February 1943
      File Part of: War diaries
      Date(s): 1941/08-1941/12
      Conditions of Access Textual records
      (Volume) 14550 90: Open

Finding aid no.

24-60

Reference Numbers
      Former archival reference no.: RG24-C-3
      Volume: 14550

File no. (creator): 812C

Additional Information
      Subject heading

Serial
      SÚrie

Language of material

Undetermined

Source.

Government

Other system control no.:

FIND024/34531

MIKAN No.

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

canadiansoldiers.com