Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Jump School at Rivers

• Posted Jun 3, 2007 3:17 PM

Ken, we did not receive cards or certificates - but read on .....

Right after the last qualifying jump - five day and one night jump to qualify ( as opposed to five total in the US ) we had a Wings Parade where each candidate had a pair of jump wings pinned on his chest with a straight pin by the Commandant. Needless to say, we made it ASP to the tailor shop to have the wings sewn on!

However, I DO HAVE AN OFFICIAL CJACT JUMP CERTIFICATE which I'll gladly scan and send to you.(Hey, Mike, whatever happened to the easy way to upload and image??!!!! This Photobucket sucks.)

The certificate is signed by RTP Davidson, a Group Commander and the Commandant of CJATC (circa 1964) but the certificate is dated 1960 with my OR rank, serial number and PPCLI on it, stating that I'd successfully completed Basic Parachutist Course Number 336.
      This certificate was obtained years later when I was posted to 2RCR Para (1964) thru Mike Barr who had then recently returned from Rivers. One evening, he showed me the new jump log book that was then being issued at Rivers and Mike was instrumental in obtaining not only a CJATC jump log book for me but also the Jump Certificate through his connections at Rivers.

To the best of my knowledge, no others in Serial 336 ever received a certificate. This is the type of stuff that makes you guys as historians doing research earn their keep. No jump certificates or cards were handed out to the Serials immediately preceding and following Serial 336, but here's one officially signed and dated 05 May 60 and it is NOT A FAKE! (Don't you suppose many on this very forum would be crying "fake" if this certificate appeared on Ebay?)

I'd post an image ..... hey, Mike, what UN and PW is required for Photobucket or do I have to register again?

BTW, Ken, while in the UK with a free-fall patrol competition team, I met a Brit sergeant who had Canadian wings over the right breast pocket of his Denison smock. Unlike today where it's common for jumpers of all nationalities to wear foreign wings, back then Canadian wings were only worn upon completion of Rivers... anyway, I asked this guy the same thing I had with the two Militia guys and his answer also was that he had never been to Rivers. We never did get to finish the conversation because we were called to chute up and he was not able to elaborate. He was a Brit and not a former Canadian jumper as I had initially assumed.

I wore US jump wings whenever I could get away with it but never Brit wings. When we were in Alaska jumping alongside US paratroopers on maneuvers, all the officers who had US wings wore them. That's the only time that I can recall that it was allowed by the CO. That might have been when some of the Ranger tabs came out as well.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

canadiansoldiers.com