Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Don't go Overboard

• Posted Sep 2, 2008 6:11 AM

"They don't fight for the honour and glory of the 85th regiment. They fight for the US Army. Our men fight as Patricias, Royals, Vandoos, Strathconas, etc."

Gord, tell that to a former Marine like my son's FIL who was an F-4 driver in VN. Or tell it to a member of the 82d Airborne Division stationed in Bragg, or to a Ranger and see what the response is.

A marine may be a Humvee driver, a tank driver, a LAV driver, a Harrier driver, an F/A 18 driver, a C-130 driver or just a plain ol' grunt haulin' a SAW, but he/she is above all, a Marine. BTW, the strength of the USMC is way more than the whole of the CF put together.

Hey, I've served in both English-speaking regiments, a total of four battalions, two of each regiment. Two battalions do not a division make. I don't recall Canada ever fielding a division of Patricias or a division composed entirely of battalions of the RCR either.

My post did not recommend that we fully go American and adopt their traditions, philosophy and system outright, but simply questioned those who jump on the US every time the CF makes a change in an attempt to become more "Canadian". Becoming more "Canadian" invariably means a break from "British" tradition. We Canadians are not English. Nor are we American. It's not easy creating an entirely Canadian identity within the Forces when there's close to a hundred years of "British" tradition behind us.

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)