<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Army Cadets

April 9 2005 at 2:46 PM
Clive M. Law - Service Publications 

I recommend visiting the unofficial army cadet site at http://www.armycadethistory.com
If you can help by supplying info or photos, then please do so.

Clive

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Chris Rodusek

Re: Army Cadets

April 9 2005, 7:29 PM 

Very interesting site Clive.

I was wondering if any former army cadet from the 50's can tell me what kit they were issued please.

thanks
Chris

Respond to this message   
Jon Skagfeld

Re: Army Cadets

April 9 2005, 10:49 PM 

Chris:

Send me an e-mail off-line and I'll tell you exactly what I was issued in 1955.

Respond to this message   
Doug Townend

What a time machine!!

April 10 2005, 9:33 AM 

Thanks, Clive, for pointing out this site. Its a real step back in time seeing the pics of the Banff camp et al.

DT.

Respond to this message   

Army Cadets

April 10 2005, 9:43 AM 

I was Banff Class of 1970. What year were you there?

Respond to this message   
Doug Townend

I was there

April 10 2005, 2:12 PM 

in 1957. Simply a three week holiday. No rockhounds, no kayaking or canoeing, no glacier climbing. Spent one week touring all the tourist spots, one week living in a marquee tent in the hills and one week in the camp as duty company which included providing cadets each night to go dancing at the Banff Springs Hotel. I was also the camp QM in 1974 when Base supply CFB Calgary supported it. I sent an MWO to be the RQMS and I stayed in Calgary but visited the camp to enjoy a day away.

Other camps include Ipperwash 1954 for the six week general military training course, Borden 1955 for the Infantry Signaller course which got me two stripes when I joined the Reserves two years later.

Also ran the adventure training activity in 1975 at Vernon BC camp. Spent the summer at the Glen Emma training range.

The good old days of youth and exuberance before old age and treachery took hold.

DT.

Respond to this message   
Mike D

Banff camp

April 11 2005, 3:40 PM 

I checked out the banff website and noticed that a cadet from the airborne cadet corps had died while there, does anyone know how? I was on GD staff there in 1985, had a great time and met lots of friends, there were cadets from England and Germany there as well.

Respond to this message   
Jon Skagfeld

Re: Banff camp

April 11 2005, 4:38 PM 

I attended Ipperwash as a cadet in 1956 (E Coy), then re-attended as a Corporal Instructor in 1958 (K Coy).

In between, I attended Borden at Cadet Trades Training Camp (CTTC), in the D & M Course, achieving the appointed position of CSM for 2MT for Grad Pde.

Great times, as a teen, images forever engraved in my mind.

Acer Acerpori.

Respond to this message   
Doug Townend

AND. . .

April 11 2005, 9:59 PM 

We got $100.00 for doing it. Best summer job I ever had.

DT.

Respond to this message   
Jon Skagfeld

Re: AND. . .

April 12 2005, 3:54 PM 

Yeah, Doug...didn't we get cash paid about 30 bucks for our first leave after,what, 3 weeks, then get the balance, cash paid, just before going home?

Imagine...$100.00...that was in the mid fifties...at todays rate, perhaps we're comparing that amount to about?????

$100.00 bought my clothes and books for the next year of High School.

Respond to this message   

Cadet 'pay'

April 12 2005, 6:44 PM 

In the late 60s and early 70s it was $20 after two weeks, $20 more after the 4th week and the remaining $60 on last day.
My son now gets over $300. for his 6 weeks. Last year he was on Maple Leaf Exchange to the UK and this year has been selected for Para - and he gets paid!!!

Respond to this message   
Chris Rodusek

Re: Cadet 'pay'

April 13 2005, 5:33 AM 

You guys may already know this but staff cadets at summer camps make about 60-75 bucks a DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Course cadets get 60 a week.

Chris

Respond to this message   
rob L

Cadet Pay

April 13 2005, 7:36 AM 

I remember the dreams I had when I went to the SLC course in cold lake back in 77. That $100 was going to pay for a car. Of course, because they paid it in increments, I spent all the advances and ended up going home with only the final $60. You couldn't buy a car for $60, so the bike had to suffice for another year.

That was a tough summers go for $100, and a lot of the principles they tried to teach really didn't sink in to a 15 year old kid. When I took my JLC with the regular army in Wainwright 12 years later, a lot of it clicked in to place, and I was able to top that course.

Respond to this message   
Mike D

Airborne cadets

April 15 2005, 12:40 AM 

Anyone know what happened to this airborne cadet?

Respond to this message   
Francois Arseneault

Airborne Cadet at Banff

November 25 2005, 8:56 PM 

The cadet you speak of was Bancroft Clarke from 2551 Cadet Corps in Edmonton. He was a staff cadet in Banff in the summer of 1983, a very hot summer as far as the weather went. On a particularly hot day he went for a climb to Cascade Falls climbed down and jumped in the pond behind the camp, the cold water was a shock to his system and he cramped up and drowned. A very sad accident, he was close friends with my younger brother from their summers in Vernon as well as Banff, they were staff together. I’m delighted to see interest in the army cadet history web site. Please free to ask any questions here, I’ll answer them as best as I can.

Francois Arseneault
History & Heritage Committee, Army Cadet League of Canada
(403) 282-6100 office
Calgary, AB
www.armycadethistory.com

Respond to this message   
Mike D

Banff

November 30 2005, 2:14 AM 

Reading this just sent a chill up my spine, I climbed to that very spot on Cascade mountain on Cascade falls. Myself and a summer cadet girlfriend (ahhh, summer cadet girlfriends) climbed up to that spot and swam in the pool (it was a spot on the mountain that after 100's of years of falling water carved a pool out of the rock). Yes it was unbelivable cold as it came right from the glacier on Cascade mountain and it was usually around +30 in the summer so I could see why he went into shock. I have a picture somewhere of the both of us up there, you could overlook the entire camp and see the townsite. I was in Banff in October and its all gone now.
Mike

Respond to this message   
Cadet Aidan Guerra

Airborne Cadet

October 12 2007, 12:39 PM 

Yes thats true, also In my cadet corps of 2836 1CER Edmonton, We have a CI named Vansoest, who went to Vernon and was a cadet from 1975-1979, and he knew a cadet from 2551 who had died in 1981 named Taras Bolin, which he was killed accidently as well. CI Vansoest was very good friends with Taras. He was deeply shocked to hear what happened to him. I beleive he taught Taras Bolin at Vernon in 1978, when Taras bolin was a basic.

Respond to this message   
Michael Gordon

Banff 1982

August 31 2012, 9:29 PM 

Did you attend Banff in 1981 or 1982. I can't remember the exact year, but there was a guy we called aresenault in our cabin. I remember the first outing we did by hiking up the side of Mount Norquay. Was that you?

Respond to this message   
Doug Townend

Interesting to see those cadets that joined the Army

April 14 2005, 5:56 AM 

I have my Infantry Sigs course photo and its interesting to see who went on to join the Army, similarly with some of the cadets from my Baff group. At least one cadet rose to Colonel in the Armoured Corps. One wonders just how many cadets do go on to join the military.

DT.

Respond to this message   
Jon Skagfeld

Re: Interesting to see those cadets that joined the Army

April 14 2005, 7:46 AM 

I believe that the whole idea of Cadets was to provide feedstock for the Navy/Army/Air Force.

For sure, the Royal Canadian Air Cadets was formed in 1941 for exactly that purpose.

Also, the Army Cadet motto, "Acer Acerpori" is loosely translated from the Latin as: "As the sapling is bent, so grows the maple", meaning from the sapling (cadet) will result in the maple (soldier).

Course pictures...I have one from 1958 of Corporal Instructors at Ipperwash. Some familiar names come to mind of that group who rose to reasonably high NCO/Officer ranks. Some are retired...Jeez, they must be gettin' old!

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com