<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

the term "Troopers"

February 9 2006 at 2:39 PM
John Sliz 

I came across a chart for engineer equipment dated August 2 1942 which has the following lines on it: `Already supplied from Troopers" and "Balance to be obtained from Troopers". What is Troopers? I figure that it is the Quartermaster or something like that. Notice that Troopers is in capitals so it must be a title of some kind. Any idea?

oddly enough, Trooper just came on the radio, "Raise a little hell, raise a..."

 Respond to this message   

See Clive's Answer

February 9 2006, 3:16 PM 

Edited out - thanks Clive - interesting little factoid; jealous once again at your access to the original docs in the archives.

And a good trivia bit for the website.

 Respond to this message   


February 9 2006, 4:50 PM 

In telegrams and correspondance between CMHQ in London and NDHQ in Ottawa, whenever they referred to the British War Office they used the word Troopers. This is probably a take from the fact that the WO was located at a building called "Horse Guards" so the cavalry term was quite appropriate.

 Respond to this message   
Roger Lucy


February 10 2006, 5:54 AM 

Another telegraphic abbreviation that crops up is Carwash for the Canadian Army liaison staff in Washington. Canmilitary is CMHQ while DEFENSOR is DND.

 Respond to this message   
John Sliz

Re: Carwash

February 10 2006, 8:34 AM 

Thanks guys! That makes sense as there is also a reference to Canmilitary on the chart.

 Respond to this message   


August 4 2007, 9:22 PM 

BTT for steve

 Respond to this message   
Current Topic - the term "Troopers"
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index