<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How do I find information???????

November 5 2006 at 10:23 PM
corinne -lynn mobbs 

I am tring to find information about my father in law and his time in the services.I want to create a photo/writen album for him and his children as a christmas surprise.At 86 yrs of age ,the man can not get another ceramic figurine.
My problem falls in 2 areas ,the first being that since this is a christmas surprise i cannot ask any of my family members for direct information,my second problem is I have no idea how to begin such a search.I do have some info that I did get off the back of a picture,but I am not really sure what it exactly means even.Any sort of direction ,suggestion ,information of any kind would very much be appericiate.I am hoping that what I do create will be the start of something that will be pasted down and will show honour and remembrance to a wonderful man.The information I do have is as such...William Braumberger D.O.B Nov 15 1920
Enlisted july26 1940 till nov 22 1945
United Kingdom and Continental Europe
These numbers were also on the back of his service photo L35037 60/76 Feild Battery R.C.A. The only other information I do know is that he was a gunner.Thanks in advice..God bless you...Marci

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doug Townend

Try here first

November 6 2006, 6:18 AM 

Hello,
You have some good basic information to begin your search. The number beginning with the letter 'L' was his service number, unique to him.
With the information you have, you can write to the National Archives Canada in Ottawa and ask for a copy of his service record. Check out their website and call first to speak to a researcher who can help you translate your wants into a request for information which you can submit by mail or email.

Good hunting.

DT.

Respond to this message   
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

Starting point

November 6 2006, 6:45 AM 

Marci,

Start here for general info and come back for explanations.
http://www.mapleleafup.org/locator/research.html

Respond to this message   
James Scott

Collections Canada

November 6 2006, 11:40 AM 

Respond to this message   
Kevin Lambie

Re: How do I find information???????

November 6 2006, 12:53 PM 

I hope not to put a damper on your project, but would suggest that you will have trouble in pursuing his personnel record in the time you have available. Requests typically take months. As he is still alive, access to his file is also restricted without his permission (if I remember the rules correctly).

It will be more expensive, but you may wish to consider hiring a researcher in Ottawa who knows military records and who can give you a better idea of what will be available (about him personally and about his unit) and who you can bounce some of your ideas off of. I believe a short list of researchers is listed somewhere on that collectionscanada site, but perhaps some here who have experience in researching medals or the like can make a suggestion.

A post with the above information on the Maple Leaf Up forums http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/ may also elicit some help. There is lots of overlap in audiences, but you may uncover a few additional ideas.

Unless someone beats me to it, I can look for basic info on that Battery later today and see if that leads to some information on his unit.

Respond to this message   
Terry Hunter

Requesting Files After 1918

November 6 2006, 2:30 PM 

Here is the link to the National Archives of Canada for requesting files after 1918.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-909.007-e.html

Terry Hunter
Oromocto (CFB Gagetown) NB

Respond to this message   
Kevin Lambie

60/76 Field Battery, 17 Field Regiment

November 6 2006, 8:19 PM 

Here's a very basic outline of the service of these batteries. This should give you some ideas of larger formations to research. That will be less specific information to be sure, but should provide a reasonable overview of his service. The information below is for the 60th Bty.

The 60/76 Field Battery mobilized 24 May 1940 as part of 17 Field Regiment. The 60th was raised in Aneroid, SK, the 76th in Indian Head, SK. They were initially part of 4th Canadian Infantry Division.

The two Bty's regained their individual identities effective 1 Jan 1941, both remaining with 17 Fd. They became part of 5th Canadian Armoured Division (initially identified as 1 Canadian Armoured Division) in Feb 1941.

Departed for overseas 13 Nov 1941 on the Oronsay. Disembarked at Liverpool, England 23 Nov 1941.

Departed Liverpool 27 Oct 1943 on transfer of 5 Cdn Amd Div to the Mediterranean Theatre, on Operation 'Timberwolf'. Disembarked at Naples, Italy 8 Nov 1943.

First action 17 Jan 1944 in the Ortona Sector. Served with 5 Cdn Amd Div and 1 Canadian Corps in Italy until early 1945.

Departed Italy via Leghorn between 22 to 26 Feb 1945. Regiment reassembled at Marseilles, France 1 Mar 1945.

First action 29 March 1945 on the 'Island' between Nijmegan and Arnhem, Holland and served in Holland until the cessation of hostilities.

Bty disbanded 29 Nov 1945.

All of this information is identical for 76 Fd Bty, with the exception of the first action in the Italian theatre, which was 13 Jan 1944 for 76 Fd Bty.

All of the above information from 'Battery Flashes' by DW Falconer.

You may wish to consider additional research on the history of 17 Field Regt and 5 Cdn Amd Div. While it's probably possible to identify slight differences in activities for the 60th and 76th By's, it appears they were largely similar. After enlisting with 60/76 Bty, you can see if there is any indication of which of the individual Bty's he might have ended up with.

Respond to this message   
Kevin Lambie

17 Fd Regt

November 6 2006, 8:35 PM 

There is a copy of the 1946 history for this unit available here
http://4dw.net/royalark/ADDISON/CANADA.htm

I know nothing of the vendor and suspect it may be absurdly expensive, but they are difficult to find.

Respond to this message   
Linda D. MacDonald

Cape Breton Highlanders

February 4 2017, 3:29 PM 

I was told the CBHs became a part of the 11th Canadian Infantry Brigade in Italy and took part in Operation Timberwolf. Is this correct? Can you outline THEIR service from landing in Italy until heading home? Thanks very much.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com