<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Canadians in Operation Jedburgh.

May 1 2007 at 9:37 AM
Chris Furlotte 

I've been trying to collect any information on the internet regarding 2 Canadians that served in Operation Jedburgh during the Normandy Invasion in summer of '44.

Here's what I have on them so far!

1. Code Name Dodge-Sergeant L.T. Durocher (Nom de Guerre) OSWARLD.

2. Code Name Packard- Lieutentant F Montfort (Nom du Guerre) FORMOSA

What branches of service did these gentlemen came from in the Canadian Army (?)

Also I think they must have been part of the Special Operations Excutive before this Op took place>!?

Any assistance is welcomed.

Chris

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ken Joyce

Jedburgh

May 1 2007, 12:31 PM 

Hi Chris

I am actually working on a book on these fellows at the moment. It should be ready next year. I have one more trip to London to go through some stuff. They were actually the only two known Canadians that were involved with Jed missions. They were not trained specifically as Jedburghs though. They were recruited in Italy because of their excellence in W/T and were from the RCCS. They were not recruited for Normandy but for DRAGOON in Southern France. They trained at Inter-Services Signal Unit - 6 in Algiers and were simply allotted to a Jed team that, for many possible reasons, was short a W/T operator. Canada was a great source of highly trained and experienced W/T operators for Inter-Allied Missions, Jedburgh and regular SOE teams. Yes they were trained under the auspices of SOE, in fact in Algiers, more than likely a combination of SOE and OSS. Roy MacLaren's book - Canadians Behind Enemy Lines - is a good start although again you must remember it was written in 1981. Much info on these guys has been released since then revealing many errors. These are the more mysterious Canadians and hopefully I will have their complete story soon. Many of thier files are still restricted however there are ways around this.

Hope I was of some help

Respond to this message   
Chris Furlotte

Thanks Ken.

May 2 2007, 12:08 PM 

Ken, Will look forward to reading your book once it's published! I'm quite curious about these two individuals as there isn't much on them from the Canadian books I've read so far!?

Here's another question Ken, what type of insignia would these guys have worn!? RCCS with British Airborne patch(?)-they would have to be Paracute qualified to go on this mission. Pictures of them in unform and insignia would give readers a better idea of what they would have worn too.

I stumbled across a website about the Jed's and they have some rare pictures of the soldiers from various nations wearing a number of Airborne insignia that until recently I wasn't even aware of!?

Cheers
Chris

Respond to this message   
Ken Joyce

Jed Insignia

May 2 2007, 7:11 PM 

Hi Chris

Yes, that is the motivating reason for my research. There is little written on those that trained in North Africa. There were also Canadians in SOE and SIS who were assigned as conducting officers and special force liaison personnel that are virtually unknown. Canada was also a source of recruits for MI-5 and nothing is known of them.

Insignia with SOE/SFHQ etc. is a book on its own.

As for Durocher and Montfort, they would only wear versions of the British OR Canadian parachute badge. They continued to wear the 1st Canadian Infantry Division formation patches with RCCS. They either wore RCCS metal insignia or General List. Durocher does not wear an SF badge on his service dress however it is possible that Montfort did? It is also possible that while they did not on the Service Dress, they did on the BD. Like other badges that had to be purchased, some did not bother. It is still debatable whether these two men were actually entitled to wear the badge. Other Canadians did however they were directly assigned as liaison for SFHQ or SPOC.

Respond to this message   
Chris Furlotte

Canucks in the S.O.E. and MI5 & SIS.

May 4 2007, 8:55 AM 

Ken,
Yes quite agree with your previous comments regarding the lack of books on insignia and Canadians in the British Security and Secret Intelligence Services and don't forget the BSC as well in North America as that was in joint operations with the SOE here too (Camp "X") Ajax,Ontario.

I am really looking forward to see more on this as it(Your future book develops etc,.)

Here's a few of the books that are in my collection as follows:

The Secret History of the "SOE" 1940-45 by William MacKenzie

Operation Jedburgh (Americans first secret war by Colin Beaven)

The Jedburghs, Secret history of the Allied Special Forces in France 1944)

MI6 (Inside the secret world of H.M. Secret Intelligence Service) by Stephen Dorill.

Here's a link you may find very useful as it pertains to the "Jedburghs"

http://jedburghs.ifrance.com/jedburghs/

Excellents photo's of these unknown warriors......"

Slainte!

Chris

Respond to this message   
Ken Joyce

Jedburghs

May 4 2007, 11:30 AM 

Hi Chris

Thanks for that info and the link, very interesting.

Respond to this message   
Christopher Furlotte

Jedburghs Special Forces- Jump Wings.

May 6 2007, 9:49 AM 

Ken, Here's a website that might be of interest to you in your research in regards to S.O.E.-O.S.S. Insignia as I found a wealth of detailed information on this site!

http://www.insigne.org/sf_wing-I.htm

Check the same website for more info, in regards to the "Jeds".

Slainte!

Chris

Respond to this message   
Christopher Furlotte

Jedburghs at "Arnhem" 1944.

May 6 2007, 11:33 AM 

Ken, Here's another interesting aspect of the history of the "Jeds" as they also took part in Operation Market-Garden Sept 1944.

http://www.pegasusarchive.org/arnhem/batt_jedburgh.htm

Cheers and good luck with your research!

Chris

Respond to this message   
Ken Joyce

Jedburghs

May 7 2007, 10:30 AM 

Hi Chris

Thanks, I have heard of Les's site as I have an article on the FSSF backgrond trimming on that site. Les is a damn good researcher and knows his stuff.

Respond to this message   
Chris Furlotte

Your welcomed Ken.

May 9 2007, 11:51 AM 

Hope to see you in person one day!?

Chris

Respond to this message   
Chris Furlotte

The Jedburgh Group

May 22 2007, 12:02 PM 

Ken,
I've found a rather interesting website concerning the "new" generation of Jed's and it is quite interesting website too.

http://jedburghgroup.com/

"Enjoy"

Chris

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Canadians in Operation Jedburgh.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com