<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Unknown p-37 case

July 24 2007 at 6:16 AM

Does anyone know what this case was used for? I have looked in eight books, sent pictures to David Gordon author of "Uniforms of the WWII Tommy" who said he has never seen the case before. Any info would be great!!

Many Thanks,

J.Naylor
2nd S.A.S Living History Group
Ohio, USA

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

rare

July 24 2007, 7:24 AM 

This is the extremely rare, pre-war "Valise, Device, Prosthetic, Lower Limb, for the use of" and was designed to safely store and carry artificial legs for Royal Marines(as only the Royal Navy was allowed to serve with a peg leg until Douglas Bader one-upped them by having two fake limbs.)
Actually, I have never seen one of these before but couldn't resist the urge to be silly.

Respond to this message   
Rick Randall

Re: Unknown p-37 case

July 24 2007, 9:21 AM 

I don't know, but I have a speculation:

Doesn't the shape look an awful lot like the rough outline of a Bren hold all ("spare barrel bag"), or some of the dust valise's (not the "fitted" action cover)?

I'm thinking, cavalry kit to carry the LMG reasonably ready for action but out of hand?

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Unknown p-37 case

July 24 2007, 12:02 PM 

It has the same general shape as some spare barrel carriers that I have seen on auction sites, however they usually have some means of completely closing up the open end, such as a flap/snap fastener arrangement.

It also looks as if it may have been designed to fit over the end of something.

Perhaps a muzzle cover?
What are the dimensions-length, max.width?

Respond to this message   

Unknown Webbing Piece

July 24 2007, 9:52 PM 

Do not forget that Mills Equipment Company made webbing for all manner of things and not just 1937 Pattern. Both the Army and the Navy used tan coloured web and webbing items were manufactured for many applications.

Please remember that just becasue this piece is 1938 dated and manufactured by Mills does not necessarily make it related or even part of the 1937 Pattern webbing set.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Unknown p-37 case
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com