<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Zephyr Loom and Textiles

March 22 2008 at 6:48 PM
Clifford S. Weirmeir 

I am hoping to get a quick answer here from the web gear Gurus. Where was Zephyr Loom and Textiles? I know it was in Peterborough Ontario, but where? Anyone have an address or photograph of the buildings? I am very interested to see what the area is like some 60+ years after the end of WWII.

My folks are from the Peterborough area, in fact they have returned to the area for retirement. Neither of them recall the company.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Fletcher Johnston

Zephyr Looms Location

March 23 2008, 8:29 AM 

Hi Clifford,

Zephyr Looms and Textiles was actually based in Guleph, Ontario. They had 4 plants that were all within walking distance of each other in downtown Guelph. I have been to Guelph a few times to photograph the buildings, so send me an email and I'll pass some of them on to you.

Fletcher Johnston

Respond to this message   
Rob Smith

Zephyr Looms & Textile Ltd

February 21 2015, 8:16 PM 

I was wondering if there are any older photos of not only the buildings but the staff and perhaps their softball teams.

Thanks, Rob!

Respond to this message   
Fletcher Johnston

Softball Team

February 22 2015, 9:25 AM 

Rob,

I have pictures of both the male (Zephyr Royals) and female softball teams. They used to be on display at the Guelph museum.

Drop me a line at fletcher dot dean dot johnston at gmail.com.

Fletcher

Respond to this message   
Steve Guthrie

Why Peterborough I wonder?

March 23 2008, 9:09 AM 

Hi there

I've heard the story that ZL&T was in Peterborough many times, yet I could find no record of it in local archives.

I wonder how the story got started?

There were several companies making wartime fabric materials here: JJ Turner, Colonial Weaving and the Bonnerworth Mill to name a few. I've seen tent bags stamped with Turner's name and Bonnerworth made khaki wool serge material.

Could ZL&T have been a controlling interest in firms in places other than Guelph?

Steve

Respond to this message   
Clifford S. Weirmeir

Re: Why Peterborough I wonder?

March 23 2008, 10:34 AM 

Hello Steve. I was glad to have a local chime in about Peterborough. I have seen some sites on the net that said ZL&T was in Guelph. However it seems to me most things I have found led me to believe that ZL&T was in Peterborough.

Many thanks for this information guys. I have an inquiring mind and I have recently been drawn into locating old wartime production buildings in the areas I frequent.

Fletcher, I have emailed you. Again many thanks. After making my origianl post I found a post you made on March 26th 2007.

Respond to this message   
Doug Townend

Ordnance depot in aurora, Ontario

March 23 2008, 11:34 AM 

Gord,

During WW2, the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps had a large Returned Stores Depot in Aurora. The depot had a large contingent of CWAC members who did much of the stores processing and accounting. I have been unable to get any info about its location from the local historians.

Have you got any info about the location?

DT.

Respond to this message   
Fletcher Johnston

ZL&T

March 23 2008, 1:22 PM 

I have also wondered about the origin of the ZL&T Peterburough misconception. I've also seen reference to ZL&T being based in Toronto. I can say with absolute certainty that they were based completely in Guelph as I have several company newsletters, and have interviewed several past employees. One gentleman, who started working at ZL&T when he was very young, was actually the President of Textile Industries (the successor to ZL&T) right up until the time that it sold out in the 70s.
The only interests outside of Guelph that I can think of is a spinning plant that he mentioned in Ormstown, Quebec, which was built by Brooks Stevens Jr, the president of ZL&T during the war. He claimed that at the time it was built, it was the most modern spinning plant in North America. It was built sometime after the war, in the 50s, after ZL&T had become Textile Industries, and was operated under the name Zephyr Textiles. I haven't been able to find any primary sources to verify its existence, however.

Hope that helps.

Fletcher

Respond to this message   
Bruce P

Windsor war production

March 5 2015, 8:15 PM 

Last fall I had a great time touring the west Windsor area (Walkerville) with a gent who has spent a great deal of time chronicling Windsor's war production. Within a few block he showed me the existing, demolished or soon to be demolished factories of Ford (CMP trucks and carriers), MacDonald & White (paint...still in production), Canada Lamp (helmets) and a dozen others.

Respond to this message   
John Sliz

Re: Windsor war production

March 5 2015, 8:38 PM 

Interesting. I've often wondered where all the stuff was made during the world. Did you take any pictures? If so, please post them.

BTW: is 5 years a record for time between posts on a thread?

Respond to this message   
John Sliz

March 5 2015, 8:39 PM 

Sorry, that should be war not world in the first sentence.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

March 10 2015, 5:53 PM 

Sorry, no pics. It was all spontaneous. I will follow up to see if the gent has pics or will take some. 5 years huh, is that you or me?

Respond to this message   
Andy Anderson

Zephyr Textiles

February 19 2017, 4:20 PM 

Textiles was based in Guleph, Ontario But they also built a New Plant in Ormstown Quebec and I think that they also had a Dying Mill in Almonte Ontario as i know they shipped wool there to be dyed

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com