AuthorReply
Roger Roy

MORE SETS

March 23 2009, 5:51 PM 

Respond to this message   
Roger Roy

Re: MORE SETS

March 23 2009, 5:52 PM 

All you have to do is clock on the plus symbol on the top left hand of the photo, then click the blue text ORIGINAL SIZE to see it full size

Respond to this message   
Michael Dorosh

GREAT FIND

March 23 2009, 11:37 PM 

Some of those I have not seen before, and will make a great addition to a project I am currently working on - many thanks for these. They also appear to be from public domain holdings, which is a bonus.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Your welcome...

March 24 2009, 11:04 AM 

No problem Mike

I will post the other links to other great war photos posted from this user.

The high quality is mind blowing

Respond to this message   
Roger Roy

Main section of WW2 High res photos

March 24 2009, 6:43 PM 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photosnormandie/

Here is the main section of all these wonderful photo's.
I've no idea how he/she got them so high res. The collection he has posted looks as if it's well over 2000 images. Some of the best I've ever seen with a large variety.

Many of these photo's I've seen before in publication but never at this level of high quality imaging

I have to assume this person has had access to the original negatives and managed to scan them all

For all those interested there are details of uniforms, vehicles, and so much more.
Sit down with a glass of wine or beer, and use the section on the site in the right hand corner that says SLIDESHOW you will then see all 2763 images. Once you see one you want to see closer, clicj the image..then click on the magnifying glass icon. Once you do this you will see blue text on the top of the photos that shows you four resolutions, choose ORIGINAL...it's crazy how much detail you can see.

Enjoy
Roger

Respond to this message   
Roger Roy

Info on the source of these photos about NORMANDY

March 24 2009, 6:49 PM 

PhotosNormandie is a collaborative project for social indexing.
We have uploaded 2763 photos about Battle of Normandy (D-Day June 6 to end August 1944).
All photos are available in high resolution and with IPTC/IIM fields embedded.
Photos source is Archives Normandie 1939-1945 web site (in French).
This was a project led by Conseil Régional de Basse-Normandie (Regional Council of Basse-Normandie) in 2004, for the D-Day 60th anniversary.

About IPTC fields used
We are using IPTC/IIM metadata to describe images. If you do not know what are IPTC fields, you can take a look on Controlled Vocabulary web site.
We are using the following IPTC fields which are automatically mapped to Flickr fields when photo is uploaded:
- Object Name (#5) is the original photo reference as used in Archives Normandie 1939-1945 web site; it is mapped as Title, top of the image
- Caption (#120) is mapped as Description, bottom of the image
- Copyright (#116) filled with "Conseil Régional de Basse-Normandie / National Archives USA" or "Conseil Régional de Basse-Normandie / National Archives Canada" (see below); caution: this field is not displayed on Flickr.
- Keywords (#25), City (#90), Province/State (#95), Country (#101), all these fields are mapped as Tags, right of the image
Caution: only original size photos (click "All sizes" then "Original") have IPTC metadata embedded.

For now, descriptions are in French language and we are trying to improve them. So, we invite your comments to get better localisations, better identifications, check and verify information, etc.
Discussions about description improvements can be viewed in the group Discussions sur PhotosNormandie.
When new information or identification elements are available in the group Discussions sur PhotosNormandie, IPTC fields are updated and the photo with the new description is uploaded replacing the old one.

More...
Lo sbarco in Normandia on blog Idee in Bianco e Nero (in Italian)

See conditions of use in French on Archives Normandie 1939-1945 web site.
Photos are free of rights, but when you are using one, you must mention:
"Conseil Régional de Basse-Normandie / National Archives USA"
or
"Conseil Régional de Basse-Normandie / National Archives Canada"
according to IPTC Copyright information

I'm Male.

near Paris, France

Respond to this message   
Roger Roy

Canadians in Normandy from ARCHIVES of Canada

March 24 2009, 6:51 PM 

Respond to this message   
Clive M. Law - Service Publications

More photos

April 1 2009, 3:08 PM 

Another good photo site with 75 Canadian D-Day-related photos
http://www.6juin1944.com/album/juno/index.php

Respond to this message   
Roger

Most of those photos are also included in original link

April 2 2009, 9:45 AM 

Respond to this message   
James Pringle

More photo sets needed

May 9 2009, 6:04 PM 

Where in the name of god would a person find more sets like these great ones? I have searched, without luck, for sets showing Holland and the occupation before the troops came back and the disposal of Canadas war material.

Respond to this message   
Grant Rombough

Re: More photo sets needed

May 10 2009, 9:00 AM 

Library and Archives Canada should be a very good place to seek the sort of images you are after, James. They may be able to point you in the direction of a wealth of material.

Also, their online database of photographic material is searchable here:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivianet/020115_e.html

The "Search the Database" link on that page will bring up a form for a "keyword search". If you check off the "Limit the search" box, it will yield only entries for which a digitized image is available online; however, not selecting that option will bring up a list of all images in the collection, whether viewable online or not.

For example, I ran a search for "Netherlands 1945", which produced a list of 248 viewable images, but 1,605 entries in total. The majority of the 1945 entries understandably date to May or earlier .... but there are quite a few from the latter months of the year. ("Netherlands" is a much more productive search term than "Holland" ......)

As two quick examples, these images came up on my "Netherlands 1945" search ....

Personnel of the Fort Garry Horse loading rubble to build roads, Doetinchem, Netherlands, 22 November 1945 -
[linked image]

Personnel cleaning 'Sherman' tank of the Fort Garry Horse being used as monument in Fort Garry Park, Doetinchem, Netherlands, 22 November 1945 -
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
James Pringle

Ohhhhhhhh....thats painfull.

May 10 2009, 1:26 PM 

To bad they don,t hire some student over the summer to scan all those no doubt great pictures that currently only have a description. There must be zillions of great pictures just waiting to see the light of day via the net, something more then the "same old, same old". Its like EVERY book on Normandy has to show a bunch of guys wallowing ashore with a bicycle over their head.

Respond to this message   
Roger Roy

Lots of time...

May 11 2009, 7:04 AM 

A little over 10 years ago, The national Archives of Canada had students volunteers scan in all the WW1 attestation papers, and then all the WW1 war diaries. As one can imagine, this was a huge painstaking project and I'm sure in the near future they will have a selection of photographs available on line as well, but unlike the attestation papers I believe the selection of photographs from the second world war alone greatly outnumber the amount of attestation papers of the great war.This project would be huge.

They would need to select which photo's make "the cut".
One have to remember that a war photographer may shoot well over a few hundred frames a day, multiply that by the amount of war photographers then multiply that again by the length of the war. As a photographer, I can tell you that for every good shot that exists there are many more from the same series that never make it to print, but that I'm sure remain in the archives.

All that to be said, I too would love to see all the war photos in the archives.
I'm sure it's on the agenda.

Respond to this message   
James Pringle

How longs the internet been around.

May 12 2009, 4:52 AM 

Your right on all counts about the number of pictures but I cannot understand why nobodies made the effort to start putting the pics online. Sounds like a nice "shovel ready" project to me just waiting to happen, and the sooner the better.

Respond to this message   
Michael Dorosh

Faces of War

May 12 2009, 10:03 AM 

Last time I checked the Faces of War exhibit was exactly that - an "effort" to put the pictures online. The online collection at Archives Canada seems to be growing each day. Not sure what your complaint is.

Respond to this message   
James Pringle

compliant ?

May 12 2009, 6:56 PM 

Faces of War. I just hope they flesh it out with (lots) more pictures and add the "Equipment of War" and the "Weaponry of War" and maybe "Locations of War". There must be tens of thousand of pictures waiting to be shown the light of day.

Respond to this message   
Michael Dorosh

Have you volunteered?

May 12 2009, 7:43 PM 

Have you called the Archives to volunteer your services to help with the scanning? Might help speed the process up.

Perhaps starting a website of your own to share some of the photos you took while you were in the service would help collectors.

Vehicle restorations guys who are interested in jeeps/schwimmwagens/1970s/80s era stuff would love to see a lot of the equipment you were hands-on with during the course of your career/hobby. Have you offered up any of your photos to any archives or webmasters, or given any thought to putting it online yourself?

Just curious. Of course, I understand it is very easy to complain that other people's projects are not being done at the speed to which you would like to see them accomplished. You see where I am going with this, I am sure. My own website is in a shambles these days exactly for the same reasons - lack of time, not lack of good intentions.

As "boring" as the attestation papers are, I can see the logic in prioritizing putting them online in advance of, say, technical-oriented photos from RCEME workshops, especially in light of the genealogy type emails I've been seeing. General interest will always trump niche hobbyists as far as archive enquiries go - and getting them off the backs of museum staff! happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Roger ROY

Mike!!! DITO no txt

May 12 2009, 8:20 PM 

Respond to this message   
James Pringle

Yeah I have actually

May 13 2009, 4:33 AM 

All good points there Mike, but I can only do what I am able to do. Not likely that I will start a website and be a "webmaster" whatever the hell that is. My point is this 1. tons of photos stashed away 2. Government agency charged with there care 3. why are they not online by now, hire someone and just get on with it.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com