<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New Brunswick Rangers...who were they?

January 31 2010 at 4:29 PM
Roger Roy 

Can any give a hand here?

I have been unable to find much info about the New Brunswick Rangers.
My Grand Uncle (who has since passed) always said he was with them during WW2, he did serve overseas
and has the standard 5 medals but I am unable to get copies of his records to confirm his story about the Rangers.

From what I found on the net, it appears they were a militia unit that was disbanded in 1941?

Does anyone have any info about the unit and what happened to them during WW2.
I assumed they must have been absorbed into other units.

Here is a small clipping I found about them from 1945

Thanks
Roger

Photobucket

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
John Cameron

NB Rangers

January 31 2010, 5:57 PM 

The N.B. Rangers were the Support Company for 10th Infantry Brigade, $th Canadian Armoured Division. They landed in Normandy in July '44 with 4th Div. They were the HMG and Mortar support for the Brigade using Vickers MMGs and 4.2" Mortars.

Respond to this message   
Jim Camirand

NB Rangers

January 31 2010, 7:02 PM 

GDay Roger

As John indicated the NB Rangers were part of the 4th Division, 10th Infantry Brigade. The 10th Infantry Brigade was made up of the Lincoln and Welland Regt. The Algonquin Reg. and the Argyll Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise). At the end of the war the Canada sent a unit to Berlin (the Berlin Battalion) made up of a company from each of the Loyal Edmonton Regt. (1st Div.), The Fusiliers Mont Royal (2nd Div.) and the Argylls (4th Div.). There they represented Canada in the Victory Parade on July 21st 1945. My Dad was a member of the Argylls and went to Berlin.

Drop me an e-mail at jcamirand52@hotmail.com if you would like any further info.

Jim Camirand

Respond to this message   
Doug Townend

NB Rangers.

January 31 2010, 7:20 PM 

Try the following reference:

"The Regiments and Corps of the Canadian Army" published in 1964 by the Queen's Printer, Ottawa.

NB Rangers is mentioned on pages 178 to 181. In the early years of the 1900s, the unit went through various amalgamations with other NB units but as noted in above responses it went to war in WW2 as the NB Rangers. After the war it was one of several units that formed the First Battalion, The Royal NB Regiment.

DT.

Respond to this message   
Mark W. Tonner

Re: New Brunswick Rangers...who were they?

January 31 2010, 7:27 PM 

Hi Roger;

This is rather long, but:

A thumbnail history of The New Brunswick Rangers from 26 August 1939 to 1 April 1946. Part 1 deals with that component of the regiment that served beginning with the Non-Permanent Active Militia and became a unit of the Canadian Active Service Force and eventually a unit of the Canadian Army (Active). Part 2 deals with that component of the regiment which continued to serve with the Non-Permanent Active Militia and eventually the Canadian Army (Reserve).

Part 1: The New Brunswick Rangers of the Non-Permanent Active Militia - Canadian Active Service Force - Canadian Army (Active):

- Details of The New Brunswick Rangers (Battalion Headquarters (Sussex, NB), Headquarters Company (Sussex, NB), "A" Company (Clifton, NB), "B" Company (Sussex, NB), "C" Company (Moncton, NB) and "D" Company (Salisbury, NB)) a unit of the Non-Permanent Active Militia under Headquarters, 16th Infantry Brigade (Saint John, NB) were Called Out on Service in Military District No. 7 effective 26 August 1939 for the purpose of (a) Manning Coastal and Anti-Aircraft Defences; and (b) providing guards for vulnerable points.

- The New Brunswick Rangers (Details) of the Non-Permanent Active Militia was Called Out and Placed on Active Service effective 1 September 1939 for duty within Military District No. 7 under the designation The New Brunswick Rangers, C.A.S.F. (Details).

- The New Brunswick Rangers, C.A.S.F. (Details) was re-designated The New Brunswick Rangers (Details) effective 7 November 1940.

- The New Brunswick Rangers (Details) were disbanded effective 31 December 1940.

- The New Brunswick Rangers were not disbanded in 1941, they were placed on Active Service effective 1 January 1941 in Military District No. 7 (encompassed the Province of New Brunswick) as a Home Defence unit of the Canadian Army (Active).

- They were allocated to the Canadian Infantry Corps as the 1st Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers, C.I.C. effective 3 September 1942.

- 1st Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers, C.I.C. was converted and re-designated the 10th Infantry Brigade Support Group (The New Brunswick Rangers) effective 1 November 1943.

- 10th Infantry Brigade Support Group (The New Brunswick Rangers) was converted and re-designated The 10th Independent Machine Gun Company (The New Brunswick Rangers) effective 24 February 1944.

- The 10th Independent Machine Gun Company (The New Brunswick Rangers) were disbanded effective 15 February 1946.

The War Diaries of the above mentioned can be found at Library & Archives Canada (Ottawa) under RG24, National Defence, Series C-3, Volumes 6623, 6624, 6625, 6626, 6627, 6628 and 6629 under the file title: No. 10 Independent Machine Gun Company (New Brunswick Rangers). Volume 6629 also includes the War Diary for the Regimental Depot, New Brunswick Rangers from September 1939 to July 1940, after which the Regimental Depot was absorbed into No. 7 District Depot (Fredericton, NB) effective 25 July 1940.

Part 2: The New Brunswick Rangers of the Non-Permanent Active Militia and of the Canadian Army (Reserve):

- Details of The New Brunswick Rangers ( Battalion Headquarters (Sussex, NB), Headquarters Company (Sussex, NB), "A" Company (Clifton, NB), "B" Company (Sussex, NB), "C" Company (Moncton, NB) and "D" Company (Salisbury, NB)) a unit of the Non-Permanent Active Militia under Headquarters, 16th Infantry Brigade (Saint John, NB) were Called Out on Service in Military District No. 7 effective 26 August 1939 for the purpose of (a) Manning Coastal and Anti-Aircraft Defences; and (b) providing guards for vulnerable points.

- The New Brunswick Rangers (Details) of the Non-Permanent Active Militia was Called Out and Placed on Active Service effective 1 September 1939 for duty within Military District No. 7 under the designation The New Brunswick Rangers, C.A.S.F. (Details)

- The New Brunswick Rangers of the Non-Permanent Active Militia was re-designated the 1st (Reserve) Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers under effective 7 November 1940.

- 1st (Reserve) Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers was re-designated the 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers upon the Active component (The New Brunswick Rangers) of the regiment being placed on Active Service effective 1 January 1941.

- 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers was reallocated to the 37th (Reserve) Brigade Group from the 16th (Reserve) Infantry Brigade effective 1 April 1942.

- 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers was reallocated to the 16th (Reserve) Infantry Brigade from the 37th (Reserve) Brigade Group effective 14 September 1944.

- 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, The New Brunswick Rangers In conjunction with The Saint John Fusiliers (M.G.) were converted and re-designated The South New Brunswick Regiment effective 1 April 1946.

- The South New Brunswick Regiment was re-designated The New Brunswick Scottish effective 2 December 1946.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Respond to this message   
Roger

Thanks for all the help guys! much appriciated

February 1 2010, 4:37 PM 

Respond to this message   
Jim Camirand

NB Rangers

February 1 2010, 8:22 PM 

entlemen

While we are on the subject of the NB Rangers...........

As I noted above my Dad was with the Argyll's in the 4th Div.......

I am presently in the process of putting together a disply frame of all the units which made up the 4th Div. ffor him.

Does anyone have a picture of the NB Rangers cloth shouldeer title/flash ????? I can not local a pic. anywhere ....and of course if someone knows where I might be able to pick one up, along with a Lake Superior Regt. (not L S Scottish Regt.) cloth flash I would appreciate it.

jcamirand52@hotmail.com

Thanks

Jim C.

Respond to this message   
Roger Roy

NB rangers photo of titles

February 2 2010, 6:37 PM 

I have a color photo from a book?
Would that do?

Roger

Respond to this message   
Jim Camirand

NB Rangers Flash

February 2 2010, 6:52 PM 

G'Day Roger

That would be great....I have no idea what it looks like and a pic would be great....you can either post it here or to my e-mail jcamirand52@hotmail.com

Any chance you or anyone else has the Lake Superior flash????

Thanks Jim

Respond to this message   
Roger Roy

4th Div

February 2 2010, 7:24 PM 

Her ya' go.
Think this is what your looking for.

Cheers
Roger

4TH%20DIV%201.jpg
4TH%20DIV%202.jpg

Respond to this message   
Jim camirand

4th Div.

February 2 2010, 9:18 PM 

Thanks Roger

Great pics....

Now I just have to find them all...Hmmmmmmmm.....another quest....

Jim

Respond to this message   
Bill A

Varieties of Titles

February 3 2010, 8:37 AM 

Roger has an nice display of titles for 4 CAD. Many of his titles are the printed pattern, and a couple are embroidered patterns.
There are several patterns of titles issued in the Second World War to the Canadian units. Depending on what you want for your display, you may want to acquire different patterns. (The printed / canvas titles are getting to be very expensive.)
Here is an example of the titles for the Lake Superior Regt and the A&SH, to show the varieties.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Jim Camirand

Varieties of Titles

February 3 2010, 5:51 PM 

Thanks Bill

Will have to keep these in mind during my search.

Jim

Respond to this message   
Perry Robinson

NB Rangers

June 6 2011, 10:04 PM 

I have a copy of a small history of the exploits of the NB Rangers written by my father at the end of the war. It covers the period from July 1944 to May 1945. I suspect that this is in the archives as it appears to have been commissioned by the government.

Perry Robinson

Respond to this message   
wil

NB RANGERS

November 9 2011, 12:39 PM 

Hello Any chance of getting a copy?My Father was a member of the Rangers until its disbanding
in 1946.Never heard too much about the regiment or the exploits.It wasn't discussed with us.Thank you.

Respond to this message   
wil

NB RANGERS

November 9 2011, 12:40 PM 

Hello Any chance of getting a copy?My Father was a member of the Rangers until its disbanding
in 1946.Never heard too much about the regiment or the exploits.It wasn't discussed with us.Thank you.

Respond to this message   
Perry Robinson

NB Rangers

February 10 2014, 1:20 PM 

Hi Ted, if you leave your address I can send you a photocopy. You can drop me an e-mail @ robinson.perry@gmail.com

Perry

Respond to this message   
Donald Hilts

Copy New Brunswick Rangers

July 20 2014, 1:52 PM 

I have been interested in this regiment for a number of years, and found very little as to its World War 11 story. I would be interested in getting a copy of your history of the regiment. I would be willing to pay expenses for the copying and postage.

I have enclosed my e-mail address. Thanks

dthilts@cogeco.ca

Respond to this message   
Ted Doiron

New Brunswick Rangers

February 4 2014, 8:55 PM 

Hello Perry, My father Edmund Thaddee Doiron was a member of the New Brunswick Rangers and saw action in Europe during the War. I would very much like to acquire a copy of the history that your father wrote. Sadly my father passed away 15 years ago. During his lifetime he did not talk about his wartime experiences very much.

I as well as my other siblings would be very interested in the info about the regiment.

Thank you

Ted

Respond to this message   
florence blount

picture of group of nb rangers

July 10 2012, 8:45 PM 

you say nb rangers in Sussex; would this be in the HCH building there down from the hospital. I am looking for a group picture with my father in it. I saw one at an neighbor's place but could only look for a minute, looking for a copy.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com