<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

hugo david Lester

January 9 2011 at 4:30 PM
joop 

I"am looking for the ww2 veteran Hugo David Lester.
soldier of the 129 regiment in Holland -during ww2.
Lester was born on the 10 of may 1914 and died ?
Sorry for my poor englis writing.
Like to now de day of his passing away.
\\lester was a frind of th familie ,hre in the Netherlands.
Hope jou can help us whit som info
Thank you for rhyding this.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Craig

A long shot...

January 9 2011, 8:31 PM 

The Last Post has a Death Notice for a Hugh Lester who served with the Royal Canadian Artillery. He passed away on 3 June 1999 at the age of 85, which would have put his date of birth as the first half of 1914, the same year as the gentleman you are looking for:

http://www.legionmagazine.com/en/lastpost/details.asp?alpha=L&offset=5500&LastPostData_ID=34522

Perhaps this is your guy?

Respond to this message   
joop

thanks

January 10 2011, 5:06 AM 

Thank you mister Craig.Hugh david Lester has visit ouhr familie after the war manny times,bath wy lost contact.
You have found the richt Lester for us. Again Thank you. Respect for you all .
Greatings from Holland.

Respond to this message   
Craig

LAA

January 9 2011, 9:14 PM 

I don't really know much about Artillery regiments, but I was able to find a reference to a 129th Light Anti Aircraft Battery in the history section of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery website. The Last Post listed Hugh Lester as having served in the 8th Light Anti Aircraft Regiment.

A bit of digging turned up that the 8th LAA Regt was comprised of the 70 LAA Bty, 101 LAA Bty, and 102 LAA Bty.

Although 129 LAA Bty was not part of the 8th LAA Regt, it is possible that Mr.Lester served with more than one LAA Battery/Regiment during his time in WW2. The Last Post generally doesn't list all of the units a deceased veteran served with.

Seeing that your "Hugo David" Lester and the Last Post's "Hugh" Lester were both LAA, this might indeed be the guy...

Respond to this message   
Mark W. Tonner

Just a note regarding the 129th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA

January 10 2011, 7:06 AM 

Craig;

Just a note regarding the 129th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA - it did not serve overseas during the period of the Second World War - it came into existence as of 1 March 1946 upon the re-designation of the 33rd Anti-Aircraft Battery (Type 4L), RCA here in Canada to that of the 129th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA and was embodied as a unit of the Post-War Permanent Force (Active Force), effective 27 June 1946.

Cheers

Mark

Respond to this message   
Craig

Re: Just a note regarding the 129th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, RCA

January 10 2011, 11:37 AM 

Thanks for the info.

That probably explains why I had trouble finding anything about 129 LAA Bty during WW2!

Perhaps the original poster was mistaken about the Bty number (it was over 65 years ago). Or maybe he is confusing the unit Mr. Lester served with during WW2 with one he might have served with post-war?

Who knows? Just trying to help out. It sounds from his reply that we found the right guy...

Respond to this message   
joop

re:Lester

January 11 2011, 6:05 AM 

mr.Lester lived in Minden Ontario Canada, and was in the last years of WW2 stationed in Nijmegen. Hugh brought after the war often visited Holland, the last time in 1994.Daar after we lost touch as a family.
His nickname here is "yo" a name he got in the war here.
The 129th Regiment is indeed wrong, it's finally long ago.
But again, the Lester on the last post is good, the most plausible Altan.
With a greeting from the Netherlands: Joop

Respond to this message   
Craig

Re: re:Lester

January 11 2011, 6:21 AM 

The Hugh Lester on the Last Post site was a member of the Haliburton branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. Haliburton is only about 25 km from Minden, Ont. Sounds like this is indeed the right guy.

Glad I could be of help!

Respond to this message   
Philip Reinders

8 LAA RCA

August 8 2012, 5:55 AM 

The regimental history only holds a Roll of Honour of those killed and wounded, he is not on it

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com