<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

CWAC display 13 August at War Museum

July 8 2011 at 1:57 PM
Doug Townend 

Greetings all,

Mark this date on your calendar - 13 August, at the War Museum, to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the creation of the Canadian Womens Army Corps (CWAC).
I will be putting on a display in the Lebreton Hall (vehicles and guns) from 10 AM to 3 PM. With the help of CWAC veterans, bilingual handouts, uniforms and veterans' memorabilia we hope to tell the community about the role of the CWAC in WW2.

See you there.

DT.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doug Townend

Addendum

July 10 2011, 8:14 AM 

The display will include the peacetime role of the CWAC.

DT

Respond to this message   

Exhibit

July 10 2011, 2:02 PM 

Good luck with the exhibit; would be a bit of a commute for me, but if you have the means to post photos online someplace, would love to see a link to them.

Respond to this message   
Doug Townend

Thanks

July 10 2011, 4:14 PM 

Thanks, Mike. Have never posted pics. Dont know how.

DT.

Respond to this message   
Doug Townend

With regret,

July 12 2011, 2:33 PM 

I must announce that the CWAC 70th anniversary display to be held at the War Museum in Ottawa 13 August is postponed due to a major display in the museum and a major music festival on the grounds opposite the museum.

When a new date is determined, info will be published.

DT.

Respond to this message   

CWAC

July 12 2011, 4:28 PM 

Too bad Doug, I was looking forward to it. Can yu tell me why beech brown was selected as a backing colour to CWAC insignia?

Respond to this message   
Doug Townend

Beech brown colour on the CWAC uniform

July 12 2011, 7:05 PM 

According to the CWAC history, page 37, Beech brown was chosen to "provide a smart contrast with the barathea material". The colour was extended to the tie in contrast to the khaki shirt and to the epaulets on the greatcoat and battledress tunic.

When the uniform was designed and presented for approval, the Minister of Defence, Colonel Ralston, felt it did not have enough colour and directed that red trim be added around the collar, cuffs and epaulets. As the officer in charge of the CWAC project, Colonel HT Cock, wrote "the uniform would have looked like that of a movie theatre usherette with the trim ordered by Ralston". He conspired with his committee to find reasons for not using the red trim and instead to use the beech brown colour.

DT.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - CWAC display 13 August at War Museum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

canadiansoldiers.com